General 268 thread (feedback, bugs, reports)

METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Maybe somebody wants to say something about 268 build, then post your thoughts here.

I just want to say a couple things:
1. If you fire 3 or more shotgun rounds, then sometimes shotgun's reload animation resets before reloading the last round.

2. Overall shotgun's (GL too, maybe) animation is kinda ragged. You can see it while jumping with jetpack (Youtube smoothed the video a bit).

3. Almost all of my previous reports about 267 build are true here as well.
4. [Unconfirmed] Today all people who were commanders (both marine & alien) complain on big lags (a single lag can take for a 5 sec). Only commanders affected. Maybe a server related. Can anyone check on this please?

Comments

• bigj231bigj231 Join Date: 2013-08-20 Member: 186994Members
    edited August 2014
    Posted on the other thread, but I'll do it again here for posterity's sake.

I can scroll beyond the bottom of the options menu now. Like this:
    A02EE3AA43D531D0F57CA1B96335D2CDB8630A84
  • RedskinsRedskins Canada Join Date: 2014-08-23 Member: 198069Members
    I didn't get any screenshots but noticed this just while playing around in a server with Pregame++ on it. Haven't tested in a vanilla game but I'm assuming its there too.

If you throw away your rifle and pistol as a marine, leaving just your axe, and your equipped with a jetpack, your loadout on the score screen is listed as "STATUS_JETPACK".

Very small bug, assuming it should read "AXE/JETPACK" or something.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Redskins wrote: »
    I didn't get any screenshots but noticed this just while playing around in a server with Pregame++ on it. Haven't tested in a vanilla game but I'm assuming its there too.

If you throw away your rifle and pistol as a marine, leaving just your axe, and your equipped with a jetpack, your loadout on the score screen is listed as "STATUS_JETPACK".

Very small bug, assuming it should read "AXE/JETPACK" or something.

Known issue and will be fixed in 269 ;)
  • firepowerfirepower Join Date: 2011-02-01 Member: 79839Members
    edited August 2014
    Falling through ready room floor when join server, noticed 3 other marines do same, have to exit game. happened mulitple times. Australian servers.

edit:games cache corrupt re download again. Still happening one server was ok other not, may be due to server not updated.
  • CommanderAlchemyCommanderAlchemy Sweden Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189780Members
    Just as a question, would it be possible to have a github page for this game for tracking issues etc? I would guess it would be allot easier to track issues but also follow them up =)

Valve is doing it, and also the devs for witcher 2 port and its going quite successfully. It would be nice also if there is any progress on the Linux crashing issues.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Thanks for the reports everyone :)
    No show stoppers though so far though at least, just seems like small niggles.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Not really sure if they're bugs or they are not.

- Only one MAC is able to weld your armor, maybe I missed something and it was an old feature from a previous build. Many MACs can build structures though.
    - Regardless of this, MACs seem a bit buggy. I mean, I know they're supposed to avoid your vision, but in most of the case, they can't weld you 'cause they're looking for a different path and in general, it doesn't work. Especially if the path is sloping. Mainly present on Kodiak.
    - About MACs again, for some reasons, sometimes, they do not want to weld you in only one time, that means, if you have 0 armor, they're going to restore you 20, they stop, & then, 20 again, etc.
    - The command console "map_name" isn't working anymore?

There are not a bunch of games where I can find out MACs on the field, so maybe, all these bugs were here since the last builds & perhaps, they're not even bugs.

I already informed Ghoul but one of the titles in Training mode, and hints videos or something doesn't show up the translated sentence (just the code), the one about EXO overheat.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Pelargir‌
    Macs : intentional and the "can't weld while moving out of the way" issue is known and very difficult to solve. (basically, re writing fundamental AI behavior)
    the console command "map ns2_name" , i.e. map ns2_summit, is the proper format.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @Pelargir‌

the console command "map ns2_name" , i.e. map ns2_summit, is the proper format.

Wow, my bad, I knew i missed something, thanks for information. :)

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I think I've found a bug

I was on veil in skylights and I was welding a blueprint to build it, I hit drop item (while welding) and it made my welder disappear

So I think if you weld a blueprint and drop it while doing so the welder disappears, or something to that sort.. nothing huge - might have just been random
  • Mr_ChainsawMr_Chainsaw Join Date: 2014-08-13 Member: 197946Members
    edited August 2014
    1. I no longer see the loading screen when connecting to a server. It is working fine though.

I fixed the loading screen issue by disabling and deleting all mods.

2. Sometimes the game crashes when ALT + TAB out of the game.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    I got stuck with no buildings nearby on Mineshaft: https://vimeo.com/104454139

It seemed like crouching was what got me out, but of course that could have been coincidence.

As you can see, the killfeed and the teammate's movement keeps going on, so network updates seem to be coming in. There was no noticeable rubberbanding/lagging/hitching before or after.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some other things I noticed:
    • As in 267, dropped advanced weapons (including SG) can have a blue outline, instead of their specific colors. I noticed this after they were actively dropped, and apparently also when the commander dropped them from the armory. (Not 100% sure on the latter, a teammate may have picked and dropped them again, too.)
    • In earlier builds, weapons near armories did not disappear over time. Now they do - is this intentional? As above, it seemed like this happened to commander-dropped weapons, but they *may* also have been picked up and dropped. (It would be nice if Marine-dropped weapons would stay alive around armories, too, if they didn't already. With the weapon drop impulse, you could move weapons to an armory, and wouldn't have to cycle them any more.)
    • Since the Alien tech tree change, the four standard building icons show build progress, but remain gray even if structures of that kind exist.
    • Alien commander abilities remain greyed out on the tech tree even if the biomass level is reached. (I think this happened in earlier builds, too, but it's confusing nonetheless.)

Also, a small feature request: Would it be possible to give the commander counters that show how many of each building (crag, shift, ...) you have? For the alien commander, this would be useful for managing support buildings, especially when Echoing them around. When you know how many exist, you can check the known positions, and when you've found as many as the number shows, you can be certain you haven't missed any.

On second thought... An even better feature might be to highlight all structures of a certain type on the map. Of course, not all the time, but only one structure type at a time. To avoid adding new buttons for this, it could automatically activate whenever a structure is selected for building: For example, you select "Crag" from the commander menu, but instead of left-clicking to place it, you hold the map key, and all existing Crags on the map are highlighted. This should fit well with the UI flow as you could jump immediately to the location that does *not* have a Crag by clicking the map.

Opinions on this? :)
    I have no idea if that bug appeared with b268; it was maybe already here since a long time but I found it on a public server, I was the Alien Commander & that was very boring, Marines got Crossroads so no way to go to Reactor Core (the guy who made the tunnel just left, tunnel was impossible to destroy by ourselves). The only solution was to drop another Hive in Atrium.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I would suspect the tunnel is 100% blocking pathing...
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 for the idea to move to github. Including the source.

For the rest, I like that upgrades are moved to the hive again instead of structures. But it would be nice that if a lifeform is fully upgraded that it has a green and different icon. Just like the upgrades already have.

Also I would like that Bile and Web is 1 upgrade to research (just gorge upgrade).
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I can no longer run the game with modified content; I get kicked for inconsistency with the server even when I'm running it on my client :|

Tried modifying the .json to disable prcaching but it still fails!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Howser wrote: »
    I can no longer run the game with modified content; I get kicked for inconsistency with the server even when I'm running it on my client :|

Tried modifying the .json to disable prcaching but it still fails!

That's because you have to make custom consistency true in ServerConfig

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    @SamusDroid That worked... and fixed my long load times. Thanks
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Howser wrote: »
    @SamusDroid That worked... and fixed my long load times. Thanks

@Howser make sure you set the afk kick amount from 0.5 to 1 or it will kick you for being idle
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I have experienced a bug where my game will crash after a lengthy (5 mins?) load time.

(reserved spot for the techsupport.zip from this)

My load times are very inconsistent. Sometimes its 5+ minutes, and sometimes maybe 20-30 seconds. I've opened the game up and it's loaded into the server within 30 seconds, though I might have just closed down a crashed ns2.exe which would explain this. Either way, what info is best for load time troubleshooting? Timings, situations and console logs?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    I have experienced a bug where my game will crash after a lengthy (5 mins?) load time.

(reserved spot for the techsupport.zip from this)

My load times are very inconsistent. Sometimes its 5+ minutes, and sometimes maybe 20-30 seconds. I've opened the game up and it's loaded into the server within 30 seconds, though I might have just closed down a crashed ns2.exe which would explain this. Either way, what info is best for load time troubleshooting? Timings, situations and console logs?

If ns2 crashs please don't close and start the techsupport.exe which will take some time. after its done please upload the zip it creates somewhere and post a link here.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    Ok, so I have two techsupports for you guys-
    First one is from the game crashing just as the loading process finished but before the RR loaded up on my screen,

techsupport2 is of a strange crash I got just now - I'll include the context because it is unusual (for me) and might be relevant -
    I was watching youtube in the steam browser so I didnt have to alt-tab when I got a slot on the server, and halfway through loading, steam overlay disappeared (though the sound from the video i was watching was still audible) and the loading screen froze. So I got task manager up to run techsupport.exe (because when the game's crashed it wont let explorer windows in front of it grr) and noticed RAM use was still changing in the process list. I was about to open techsupport.exe when the game suddenly maximised itself and continued loading for a few minutes (was able to bring steam overlay up and close youtube :P ), but then when it reached the end of the load I got booted to the main screen with 'timeout'. Hrmph.

Wait... Why is one techsupport archive 300k while the other is >100mb? e___e I will have to upload that elsewhere

BONUS - I found some p_logall logs of my experience (I've had general fps drops since 267, though hitching seems slightly "smoother" in 268) - also uploading v.v

Here's techsupport2 : filedropper.com/techsupport2

Here are my plogs - filedropper.com/plogs

@GhoulofGSG9‌ @IronHorse‌
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I crash to desktop every second time I walk up to an Armory and open it to buy. It also sometimes freezes on map change and just before loading (finally) finished and entering RR.
    Opening "Server Browser" freezes a lot still and the only thing working is the console. That bug has been around since 267 or earlier however.
    In 268 its not even remotely possible to Alt-Tab while loading (forever) while before you could sometimes do so.
    Most (if not all) of these crashes will be fixed in 269 which will release very soon.
    There were two issues which were leading to ALL SORTS of crashes and errors that came from recent improvements.
    One of these had to do with how the engine handles texture mods, while the other had to do with cinematics (unmodded)
    Also loading times should be fixed too for those users who experienced longer - instead of shorter- timings.

So @meatmachine‌ and @_INTER_‌ :
    Just standby a few more days here and then once 269 is out please try to reproduce those issues to determine if they are different.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    1. 3rd person GL animation glitch

2. Is it suppose to close like that?
    2014-08-28_00002.jpg
    2014-08-28_00003.jpg
    2014-08-28_00005.jpg
    2014-08-28_00006.jpg
    edited August 2014
    MrFangs wrote: »
    An even better feature might be to highlight all structures of a certain type on the map. Of course, not all the time, but only one structure type at a time. To avoid adding new buttons for this, it could automatically activate whenever a structure is selected for building: For example, you select "Crag" from the commander menu, but instead of left-clicking to place it, you hold the map key, and all existing Crags on the map are highlighted. This should fit well with the UI flow as you could jump immediately to the location that does *not* have a Crag by clicking the map.

Quick info: Building a mod for this, proof of concept working. More info tomorrow/later (in the modding section, to keep this thread clean). But first... need sleep I-)

Edit: Opened a new thread at http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135478/mod-highlight-structures-on-map