Build 268 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    managed to spawn as an alien finally, then crashed as soon as I did damage to a marine

Please remove all mods and test again on an unmodded server.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Having played a quick alien round I do admit it does not play too differently. (And why would it.) I'm still not touching khamm for a while :D
  • LuftwaffelLuftwaffel Germany Join Date: 2014-07-09 Member: 197328Members, NS2 Playtester
    What will you guys do about the horrendes performance issues (stutter, lag, fps inconsistencies). The game became almost unplayable with 267
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Golden wrote: »
    managed to spawn as an alien finally, then crashed as soon as I did damage to a marine

Please remove all mods and test again on an unmodded server.

apparently it'll run on shine servers at least. playing on hyperion right now but tactical gamer and a few other servers all caused me to crash, so i guess its some server mod doing it. the only mod I subscribe to though is a crosshair lol
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    "Simplified jumps to get into the Skylights vent from West Junction and Overlook."

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    "Simplified jumps to get into the Skylights vent from West Junction and Overlook."

All that practice for nothing...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    (Btw, is there a toggle for the red-flashing ammo counter? Because that's actually the only HUD element I ever found distracting :D)
    Thank you for making me feel not alone on this issue ;)
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I stand corrected. Ever since the change in who (mainly) develops NS2, this game got much better. Thank's to everyone involved!
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2014
    Anyone check sandbox mode? I just spawned outside the world and console is getting swarmed by errors.
    *on docking

EDIT: nvm. probably just me. can't start a listen server either. sigh...
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I crash every time I try to spawn in to a server :( i load up, join a team, then crash as soon as it's my turn to come out of the IP

Same here.
  • LostWolfLostWolf Germany Join Date: 2014-05-11 Member: 195975Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    MrFangs wrote: »
    - "Changed fade damage type to ‘light structure’ (75 damage base, ¼ damage to armor)." -> Umm... please don't tell me that Marine armor now has twice the effective HP vs. Fade? oO I don't see a change that would really counter-balance that.

The damage is 'light structure'. They do normal damage to players and light damage to structures.

actually the 1/4 is only to the structures armor you do full dammage(75) against structure hp
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    SupaFred wrote: »
    I crash every time I try to spawn in to a server :( i load up, join a team, then crash as soon as it's my turn to come out of the IP

Same here.

Check your server is not running mods please. Likely there are mods that need updated.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Always release good updates while I am at work. CDT, I hate you all. >:[

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    Always release good updates while I am at work. CDT, I hate you all. >:[

You think that's bad? I had a day off work today and the patch dropped too late for me, can't play this evening or tomorrow. Argh!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited August 2014
    Ok, I've emptied NS2+ in the workshop until I figure out what's going on, sorry everyone :(

You can have it mounted and when it's fixed it will work again, but for now it will do nothing (as it has no files).
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2014
    MrFangs wrote: »
    - "Changed fade damage type to ‘light structure’ (75 damage base, ¼ damage to armor)." -> Umm... please don't tell me that Marine armor now has twice the effective HP vs. Fade? oO I don't see a change that would really counter-balance that.

The damage is 'light structure'. They do normal damage to players and light damage to structures.

Effectivly, it means that Fades sucks against structures with armor, but can take down structures without armor as effectively as a skulk.

Which is why all marine buildings got up-armored in the patch.

The numbers:
    75 pts base
    70% to armor = 52.5, light structure means each point of armor absorbs 4 damage = 13.13 armor damage
    30% health = 22.5

skulk
    70% to armor, 52.5, normal means armor absorbs 2 = 26.25pts armor damage
    30% health = 22.5

Do note that Stab does normal damage, but you can only stab once every 2 sec (and Stab is Biomass 7, so 3 hives...). Still better than Swipe vs buildings with armor though.
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    edited August 2014
    F0rdPrefect/SantaClaws: With the new jetpack, you both jump and jetpack boost at the same time, so even if you don't have any fuel, you'll still get your jump. Aside from fuel returning more slowly, this change should be a strict improvement.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I like the second ip but we will never actually get it. The speed difference between SSD users is too great. By the time the HDD users load the game has already started so you still always only get 1 ip.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    As a note about fade structure damage, if its copied from CompMod directly (I suspect it is :D), its actually slightly more complex. Each point of armor on a structure is worth 9 HP, and the HP/Armor distribution of damage is changed to be 90% to armor.

This would cause swipes against structures with armor to do:
    7.5 Armor Damage
    7.5 HP Damage

However once the structure no longer has any remaining armor, fades will do full damage (75) to HP. This makes fades extremely bad at taking out structures from full HP, but still able to finish off structures that are already substantially weakened.

As a note, this is only against structures. Players and Exos take normal damage from fades.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    And what about Exos? They are 100% armor, right?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    I'm having heavy loading issues:
    Loading Map... 2 mins
    Loading Assets... 30 s
    Loading... 4 min
    Loading Shaders... 30s
    Precaching... 6 mins in and still loading.
    Edit: Alt+Tabbed to write this report. Game's not responding now. I've not been able to load any map now. It's my 6th try. I nuked NS2 from orbit already and reinstalled (including %APPDATA%). p_logall is crashing the game.

Original total loadtime was about 1min. Help
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    And what about Exos? They are 100% armor, right?

Not structures though, afaik.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    edited August 2014
    I'm really not happy about the implementation of compmod into vanilla.

I understand/welcome thought out necessary balance changes, such as: Boneshield initial cost, reduced mine weight. However, a lot of these changes (Onos momvent, Fade damage) are not necessary balance changes at all and feel more like a: "Hey, this sounds like a great idea." instead of a, "This needs to be changed as in it's current state it's broken.". Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of these changes are probably though out to be balanced around 6v6 (only 5 aliens/marines). Not 9v9+ where there can be 3 Fades with less armored damage but still 3 skulks, going to absolutely destroy that grinded phasegate.

Please refrain from making any more drastic changes like this to Vanilla in the future, or at least think through what changes would actually fit into a 9v9 scenario. This is not 6v6, this is pubs.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Luftwaffel wrote: »
    What will you guys do about the horrendes performance issues (stutter, lag, fps inconsistencies). The game became almost unplayable with 267

267 was the single biggest performance increase in NS2 history. My framerate may not have budged a smegging inch, but the reduction in stutter and mouse lag was as beneficial as quadrupling my frame rate.
  • destroyerjjbgdestroyerjjbg Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183467Members
    edited August 2014
    mm seem u being busy . Too many updates , hope no make it soo messy. Btw they can be reverted i guess.
    I specially agreed with the upgrades to exos. Should be a more useful unit for a more spectacular game, sure aliens need their cons if not already with no more beaconable.
    just a whine, i miss the precharging per cent info ;-)
    greets
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Can you make it so the special movement key just needs to be held down for metabolize (assuming enough adren), instead of having to tap it every 5 seconds or so?
    Damn sticky keys feature :-p
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    edited August 2014
    joshhh wrote: »
    The onos change has been accepted by everyone I have ever seen try it. Instead of playing a lifeform that feels like a semi-truck on roller blades, the new onos has better control.

It was a feature, not an issue. The original Onos encouraged you to have to predict where the marine was going to move so as to commit to the movement to keep up with it, and allowed you to kite Onos around objects/structures and maneuver around lesser skilled Onos. It encouraged the Onos to have to pick his room engagements more carefully and not get out maneuvered once in their face. The onos is suppose to be a strong, hulking mass with it's downside being that it's slow. Now, it's just a hulking mass with marine movement.

I never liked the change, and I'm sure I'm at least not the only one. Of course, removing the downside of something is going to get more praise than hate. If Fade energy were removed, you know, the downside of Fade and their constant energy issues, I'm sure everyone who has issues managing Fade energy would be praising the change.

EDIT: Also, 9v9+ was never balanced so why implement features that are balanced in 6v6 (The non-vanilla standard) to vanilla?
    Obraxis wrote: »
    It would be nice is people played for a few days, before passing judgment on balance changes which have only been out for a couple of hours. :)
    I saw that you made this comment towards another person expressing their concern. I played the entire last season with compmod, I think (by your standards) I am allowed to pass judgement and it is: I don't like this. Also, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't matter much if after a few hours the community came on here and said they didn't like it. It would be encouraged to keep playing and try it out for more than a week. Then everyone would just put up with it.