Infestation is UGLY, when will there be a graphical update to infestation? (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »

With a playerbase of 500 we would only need 217 people to approve of it to have a confidence level that at least 90% of ns2 players would like it. With a player base of 1000 we would need 278. The last time I saw one of those fancy polls it had 243 people respond which I assume are the most dedicated ns2 fans. The question is do we need 90%? Can we get 217 people to even do a poll? Can we actually get bioluminescence in a state where even 75% of players approve?
    If 75% approved, would we lose 25% of our small player base?'

Reference this sample size calculator.

Correction: player base is more like at least 1600. I just checked hive, and about 1600 have a skill rating that is NOT 1000 (at least 1001). So at least 1600 have played it a bit since the skill reset to 1000. Also, I didn't check the other end (the guys with less than 1000), so the number of players unique is more than we think.
    That is good to know actually.

Still though, I think bioluminescence is a possibility.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I don't use full infestation BC of the performance decrease, and it looks like clogs covering walls that can only hinder player view. Agree with op.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    METROID wrote: »
    That is the point in the infestation! It must completely change the environment to make it hostile and unrecognizable.

No... the purpose of infestation is to make clear the territorial divisions of alien and marine... it does that now, but it could stand to look a lot better. Right now, it's the exact same texture tiled across all infestation and it just looks really ugly.
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    BeigeAlert, I do not deny anykind of improvement to the infestation, but I do not agree with your previous post.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    BeigeAlert, I do not deny anykind of improvement to the infestation, but I do not agree with your previous post.

You disagree that "it's the exact same texture tiled across all infestation"? ...because it really IS. :P
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    BeigeAlert, no, but about map thing that you mentioned. Please, keep in mind not only the "technical" or "physical" purpose of the infestation, but a visual concept art also
    BeigeAlert, no, but about map thing that you mentioned. Please, keep in mind not only the "technical" or "physical" purpose of the infestation, but a visual concept art also

Texture mapping is a kind of map... a kind of map I mentioned. :D

I say the infestation looks ugly, AND nothing like the concept art that is on display for all to see every time you join a game. In these two pieces, the infestation is sparse, whereas in the game it's just slathered over EVERYTHING like an ugly green blanket, and I don't mean ugly in the way it's MEANT to be ugly, and inhuman-looking.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since people lower the infestation to give a more competitive edge, why not just have rich and remove the scale option ? :))
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    Since people lower the infestation to give a more competitive edge, why not just have rich and remove the scale option ? :))

Because it's random and as such anti-competitive.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2014
    Using minimal is the way to go. Keeps performance while allowing to see cysts without having to search for them. I'm usually too busy thinking about what I, my teammates, and the aliens are doing to bother looking down at bubbling infestation. Seeing the cysts instantly and cutting the chain is just simpler with minimal. It just looks like crap. If something like Jekt showed could be implemented, that would be awesome.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Personally, the rich infestation option makes the scene look better. Eye candy ftw
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

:))
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Personally, the rich infestation option makes the scene look better. Eye candy ftw
    I wouldn't call it "eye candy", but rather "please do not make my eyes bleed".
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    I find the infestation to be pretty friggin ugly. It really needs a rework. I feel a little bad shooting people through the spreading clogs when I have minimal infestation (I say clogs BC I feel that's what the 'bubbles, look to me, but the infestation doesn't absorb dmg).
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    i miss the old minimal infestation decal that covered all the walls and shit :/ it was ugly too but it was better than what we got

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I just watched that whole video just cuz old docking lol
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lol at that video.. i see the tickrate bug in there.. good times those were.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shade looked way better too.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Out of the 20 or so things wrong with the game, you pick infestation. xD
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can't be serious in removing rich infestation as it is today? :((
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014

That is a combination of both. Less ugly than minimal and not vision obscuring like rich, more of a third option
    Can you not leave it as it is today as rich, a medium blob version and the base decal version?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Rather than reduce blob size I suggest reworking infestation. Maybe some particle fx or something?
    OMG, don't remove breathing blobs please! Just update the texture, that's all...
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    OMG, don't remove breathing blobs please! Just update the texture, that's all...
    SamusDroid wrote: »

That is a combination of both. Less ugly than minimal and not vision obscuring like rich, more of a third option

Can you not leave it as it is today as rich, a medium blob version and the base decal version?

This is exactly that...except instead of flattening blobs, which you can't do without it looking even worse, I removed them. Minimal and rich are untouched
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    MrFangs wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »

I'd really love to see this happen... it looks awesome.

I'm just wondering how this would combine with Shades? The most likely thing would be the Shade suppressing all light from cloaked buildings and cysts - otherwise, the lighting would be a dead giveaway. "Shoot this general area, please!"

So this would result in a pitch black room, which lights up when the Shade takes damage, and goes dark again when the cloak effect returns? (I'm not saying that this is bad, just pointing this out.)

Possible workaround for this: Make the Shade *permanently* prevent all luminiscence in its area of effect, and only remove the *cloaking* effect when it takes damage. This would, of course, make it a bit more powerful, but the whole idea needs to be balanced anyway.

Wow, that looks not bad!
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Rich infestation would be amazing to have, unfortunately I'm playing on the lowest setting for everything, due to the nature of low-fps during fighting. To be honest, I think minimal looks really good. Rich looks amazing. :P