Possible to arrange a screen shot?

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
It is possible to place models in a setting to take screen shots? Eg. if I want a picture of marines posing with a lerk side by side, is that possible? And if that is possible, is it possible to do within a backdrop of a map? Or am a better off asking friends to pose in game to get that sort of "shot".

Thanks.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    If you want that, it can be done in the Cinematic Editor. However I find it very awkward and un-intuitive to use, so it may be easier to just gets friends to pose..
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Cinematic editor is pretty easy to use. You create actors, set then to models, make an external cinematic for the skybox, then set the level. You can set pose parameters, animate them, have them play sounds
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can use cheats and "spawn lerk" , "spawn marine".
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I ll give the cinematic editor a go - sounds like a fun thing to do ;-)
    Thanks everyone.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    sounds like a fun thing to do ;-)
    a fun thing to do
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    it explodes, singeing off all your eyebrows and leaving you permanently disfigured.

K.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    sounds like a fun thing to do ;-)
    a fun thing to do
    it explodes, singeing off all your eyebrows and leaving you permanently disfigured.

K.

I haven't had a laugh like this in a while...

(...I should probably become a more upbeat person.)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @BeigeAlert‌ @F0rdPrefect‌ . Yes. I tried to editor a few times now. I am about to smash my tempered glass table top. It sounds awesome in theory, and I was hoping easier to use. But its neither of those things *sigh*. Aside from the continuous crashing, and the bugs and the unfriendly help and the slow ness etc... I think its faster for me to go to a pub and just spec and hope I can find something I can use for my project. At least UWE put something out there. I almost wish I can run the game, and just drop the actors I want in the game (I just want static screen shots). I can ofcourse do this for structures, but can't do it if I want creatures and marines in the scene...

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I guess @samusdroid is just plain epic in his skills if he finds the cinematic editor easy. :)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    james888 wrote: »
    I guess @samusdroid is just plain epic in his skills if he finds the cinematic editor easy. :)

I am agreeing because I think @SamusDroid‌ is epic in his skill what ever way you look at it.
    edited June 2014
    cuBVehK.jpg
    1 restart, 5 minutes ;)
    When I choose a map for the cinematics, the floor is bright with a grid, is that normal? I want to do a screenshot on Mineshaft and have to open the whole map to do it. Sorry to be a pain. Can yo answer the following for me

1. when I open a map to use as the scene (I want particular locations), it is slow, but also the floor is bright with a hex grid, is that normal (ie. I haven't got to the rendering yet).

I haven't got past 1 yet (I add in actors, but everything is so bright due to the floor being so bright with the hex grid, I can't see anything. Is there any way to turn it off or make it a normal floor?

Sorry for the noob questions, but the youtube tutorial I was using to do this seem like an older version of the editor (earlier build may be?) and things seem different.

If anyone can point me to a more recent tutorial I would be grateful.

PS. just to let you know what I am doing:

I am writing a NS2 game manual (remember them?) for rookies. No advance strat etc... just a game manual in the form of a story of how a rookie training up to be a useful Marine on the ground. So there are only the basics of the game there, but I thought it would be more "friendly" than an advance guide on how to be uber (these are great, but it doesn't ease someone in). I was hoping this would be more like something you can read while the game is installing. The Wiki is great, but all the info is just there, and there isn't a logical flow in word form like I remember manuals of old. So I decided to make one.
    1) that's nav mesh you need to delete it in the level and everything not in the view of the shot and then save it as a level
    2) There is no tutorial
    Thanks for the reply. I made the scene (some of the floor is missing (the tech point plate isn't saved on the tech point for some reason when I killed the rest of the level that I don't need). But I can add that in. I am rendering the scene, but where is the files saved? I see I can also render to jpg format, but can't seem to locate the file after I render. Thanks for taking the time @SamusDroid‌.

• SkyfishSkyfish Norway Join Date: 2013-11-23 Member: 189525Members
    Wow I didn't know you could do screens these ways, I had people pose for me in game XD
    It worked though. Efficient clanmates.
    @Skyfish it is possible do screens this way. But unless you know the system, it is very very inefficient. If you check out the manual on my sig, the armory hump scene and the customize player scene were done with the cinematic editor. It took me a loooooooooog time to do those (partly due to unfamiliarity with the software, partly due to crashing (its not stable)). Clan mates is definitely the more efficient option (but action shots are harder to take as you need to catch something mid flight sometimes, but the cinematic editor allows you to "suspend" the actors in mid air.