Infestation is UGLY, when will there be a graphical update to infestation? (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD)

PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
edited August 2014 in NS2 General Discussion
I have been waiting and waiting, update after update... patiently... I am tired and decided to make a post about this. Am I the only one who thinks the infestation looks terrible and could easily be improved to look better?

For the love of God and all that is holy when will there be an update to infestation graphically? The infestation was the feature that kept me playing and following NS2 from it's humble beginning as a barren alpha and beta...

The infestation is the ugliest thing about the game, and the game is gorgeous and has wonderful graphics and mapping but it's completely ruined by a really ugly infestation. There needs to be some opacity so that you can be able to see through the infestation and see the geometrics of the mapping still. Right now it's just a solid color low res texture, and it looks very repetitive. Sure it's nice that it breathes and it's bumpy, yes, infestation has a great shape and animation, but there needs to be a better texture and you need to be able to see through it like a clear green slime. At least... this is the way that I had always imagined NS2's infestation to look.

Honest to god there was a bug in this game a year or two ago that made the infestation look better than what it's currently intended to look like at this time. I am sure a few of you may remember that.

Sorry for the rant...

This should be a main priority. This would be a huge improvement to the game. I would actually play the game more than just a couple of minutes a month.

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I have been waiting and waiting, update after update... patiently... I am tired and decided to make a post about this. Am I the only one who thinks the infestation looks terrible and could easily be improved to look better?

For the love of God and all that is holy when will there be an update to infestation graphically? The infestation was the feature that kept me playing and following NS2 from it's humble beginning as a barren alpha and beta...

The infestation is the ugliest thing about the game, and the game is gorgeous and has wonderful graphics and mapping but it's completely ruined by a really ugly infestation. There needs to be some opacity so that you can be able to see through the infestation and see the geometrics of the mapping still. Right now it's just a solid color low res texture, and it looks very repetitive. Sure it's nice that it breathes and it's bumpy, yes, infestation has a great shape and animation, but there needs to be a better texture and you need to be able to see through it like a clear green slime. At least... this is the way that I had always imagined NS2's infestation to look.

Honest to god there was a bug in this game a year or two ago that made the infestation look better than what it's currently intended to look like at this time. I am sure a few of you may remember that.

Sorry for the rant...

This should be a main priority. This would be a huge improvement to the game. I would actually play the game more than just a couple of minutes a month.

Agreed... but not sure how much the engine can handle... and there's not really any working transparency in the game. Have you ever looked inside an alien egg? Why's that thing floating in there? Well... rumor has it the outer skin was supposed to be transparent... but that didn't happen. :(
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You do realize this is a nasty human fighting bacteria you are walking over right?? Its rate of growth is pretty incredible at how quick it spreads in a room and up walls.
    Secondly, this could potentially hurt performance which is not good.
    Thirdly, you are another person claiming X should be the absolute main priority for the game which is a very subjective topic.

Lastly, I would love for any part of the game to look better (not that it looks bad). I do agree infestation could look a lot better and I would personally enjoy it. Ns2 is graphically appealing to me and if that can be improved further than fantastic.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    wow that infestation bug version should definatly be the an ns2+ option :)
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Jekt wrote: »

Yes! Thank you! This bug actually sadly looks better than the full infestation. Obviously, it's possible to add into the game. Someone should AT LEAST do that.

THe main thing is that the infestation needs TRANSPARENCY . If transparency is added the infestation would look a MILLION TIMES BETTER.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    This is something that @Mendasp‌ has on his todo list.
    In short try to make minimal infestation look like the really really old rich infestation if I understood him correctly.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    In short try to make minimal infestation look like the really really old rich infestation if I understood him correctly.

So, like this?:

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Mouse wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »

So, like this?:

No. That old infestation used would be way too costly for the renderer. What samusdroid was talking about is the old "normal" infestation, before the new bubbly infestation existed. If it is actually possible to bring that old infestation back in a reasonable time has yet to be seen though.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think he means like this
    0.jpg

Doesn't look too great either, but was a lot better than the minimal that was put in just before release.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I always though minimal was the beta version, interesting. Still think its fine how it is on RICH.
    Would like to see a statistic of active players that use the bubble infestation.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I used full infestation for a little while because it does look looovely, but it does block LOS in too many useful places for it to not handicap your play. Would be nice if there was a depth slider or something so it could be bubbly and raised and look sexy and stuff... Just not SO bubbly that a player can hide in/behind one of the bubbles
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm sure the infestation is client side @meatmachine‌ so no one sees the same bubbles?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just because no-one else sees the same bubbles that you see, that doesn't mean it doesn't block vision in fights. There used to be a minimal infestation before the broken one we have now (but after release, which is when I started playing NS2), and it was really good. Then something happened and it turned into a ribboned mess.

As much as this may need some attention, I'm glad there are higher priorities than this, though. :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I'm sure the infestation is client side @meatmachine‌ so no one sees the same bubbles?

Unintentionally hiding of course :P

I turned it off after hearing a gorge in stability, entering, spot-checking, seeing nothing and after the lifeforms made quick work of me the pig runs out of an infestation bubble in the corner, taunting. Cocky little pig
    Wouldnt surprise me :P
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I kinda forgot what rich infestation looked like O_O
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    I use rich just for immersion...don't really mind dying because of it either.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Is this the old infestation or the new one?

best seen around 2:12 and 3:18. If its the old one, please bring it back. For me with low end computer that barely is running ns2, the infestation is just a bumby ugly blurr and the minimal infestation looks just too bugged so I don't use it.
    @_INTER_‌ that's got corpuscules, looks like rich infestation?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    It just needs to have some gaps and transparency in it. Right now, it's just a solid sheet of ugly green gunk everywhere.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I don't think rich infestation looks bad, but it could use some enhancements. I remember the old dev blogs talking about wanting infestation to shut down monitors\lights as it slowly creeped over the walls. This included blocking out light sources (ie.. over a window).

I still wish there were 3 different levels of infestation depending on the maturity of the cysts in the room (heavy, medium, light). In a hive it would be very thick and covers most of the walls\ceiling and hangs down a bit. One can dream :D
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    The current infestation is OK, mb it could use some enhancements, as aeroripper says. The old one looks too flat and looks like dirt.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Infestation needs to stop covering up the beautiful mapping in the game with a solid green wall. Needs transparency badly!
    I find it really weird that this game can do shadows/ other lighting features so well, but not transparency within models (though we seem to have glass?)