Build 267 Live on Steam - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    RejZoR wrote: »
    Same crap as Source engine then. What's the point of that if it essentially means nothing at all, it's just some fancy meaningless graphic... i need a visual confirmation, otherwise we can make entire game pretty much random and shell out hit damage randomly on scale from 0 to 300.

It's not meaningless, it is visual confirmation. However if it triggers without giving damage you found a technical issue of some sort (probably a bug, bad server/client performance or network issues), that does not make it useless.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    It seems that 267 is crashing my server more often than 266 did.
    These crashes seem to be random and i cant find any lua errors in the logs.
    The server is just shutting down.

Maybe the mods are the reason but i heard from an admin of an vanilla server that he had the same crashes.
    Can someone confirm this?

Oh, here is an error finally:
    [Server] Script Error #7: lua/Weapons/Alien/Spit.lua:70: attempt to index local 'player' (a nil value)
    Call stack:
    #1: ProcessHit lua/Weapons/Alien/Spit.lua:70
    self = Spit-3840 {ownerId=-1, projectileId=4, teamNumber=2, techId=1 }
    targetHit = nil
    surface = nil
    normal = cdata
    hitPoint = cdata
    player = nil
    #2: Update lua/Weapons/PredictedProjectile.lua:389
    self = ProjectileController { }
    deltaTime = 0.065538987517357
    projectile = Spit-3840 {ownerId=-1, projectileId=4, teamNumber=2, techId=1 }
    predict = nil
    velocity = cdata
    impact = true
    hitEntity = nil
    normal = cdata
    endPoint = cdata
    oldEnough = true
    #3: f1 lua/Weapons/PredictedProjectile.lua:565
    deltaTime = 0.065538987517357
    #4: [string "Spit_OnUpdate3"]:15
    arg1 = 0.065538987517357
    Error: lua/Weapons/Alien/Spit.lua:70: attempt to index local 'player' (a nil value)

But it seems that this error didnt shut down the server.

This was the last spam before the shutdown:
    Network variable 'orderParam' of class 'Order' has value 0.000000 which is outside the range 0.000000 to 0.000000
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Yesterday that happened sooooo many times for me when I was marines....shooting skulks, and POSITIVE that you landed the hits...and them not dying....

Dunno the reason or cause so I'm not pointing fingers...just noticing the same issue.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think there might be some server specific issues or something.. hit reg felt way off on a server I was on earlier and a couple other people commented on it too
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Those of you experiencing these issues :

Can you please collect as much data as possible, such as the name of the server, playercount, the current server tick rate when experiencing issues, your ping, server mods, were they using adjusted server rates? Etc etc

I played for about 5 hours yesterday on 4 different servers and didn't experience this once. And yes I can notice it when it happens as I can currently reproduce the only known / reported case and have taken tons of footage of it.

Basically, we need data from you
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited August 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    And yes I can notice it when it happens as I can currently reproduce the only known / reported case and have taken tons of footage of it.

Basically, we need data from you

LOL! Now that we've let the people reporting the issue be ridiculed for a few pages, now we can admit to a know hit detection issue. From the sound of everyone, it's made to believe there are no issues and people reporting this are crazy.

I know there was one posted with a video a few months ago that you swept away quickly to the technical support area to let the thread die off in the unknown after you closed it, lol. I found it odd considering there has been plenty of hit detection discussion before in general section, but the only one with video proof was hidden away and moved to tech support. Maybe the people experiencing the hit detection problems are experiencing that bug?

Edit: Here is the post http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134727/ns2-registration-is-best-registration#latest

And video: http://www.twitch.tv/schustor/c/4160204

Should I have not pulled that up? Maybe we can put it back under the rug and pretend it's not there.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    @ns2isgood‌

Dum dum duuummm.. It's about to get interesting in 'ere.

Tell us more about these coorporate uwe forum conspiracy special-obs cover-ups please.

No really.. That clip means absolutely nothing. There's not enough data there for anyone to possibly reproduce this - so how in the hell is it supposed to be even remotely useful?

Hey, I have been one of the guys here reporting hitreg issues, but that clip there makes zero difference. Stop being paranoid.

Edit: I'm not an expert on these things, and I'm sure thunderhorse would rather defend himself, but to me that looks like a network issue. But as schu doesn't give us any info regarding that - We can only guess, as thunderhorse points out himself.
    edited August 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    @ns2isgood‌

Tell us more about these coorporate uwe forum conspiracy special-obs cover-ups please.

No really.. That clip means absolutely nothing. There's not enough data there for anyone to possibly reproduce this - so how in the hell is it supposed to be even remotely useful?

Hey, I have been one of the guys here reporting hitreg issues, but that clip there makes zero difference. Stop being paranoid.

Did you read the thread? The last post, IronHorse says:

"It is known and reproduce-able , though i cannot give an answer on when it will be fixed. Both the lead engine programmer, Max, as well as Hugh and the entire NS2 PT team are aware of it."

Was closed any never updated again.
    Edit: I'm not an expert on these things, and I'm sure thunderhorse would rather defend himself, but to me that looks like a network issue. But as schu doesn't give us any info regarding that - We can only guess, as thunderhorse points out himself.

So one post you're saying there isn't enough there to draw a conclusion, then 2 minutes later in a edit it looks like a network issue? lol
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    @ns2isgood‌

"It is known and reproduce-able , though i cannot give an answer on when it will be fixed. Both the lead engine programmer, Max, as well as Hugh and the entire NS2 PT team are aware of it."

So one post you're saying there isn't enough there to draw a conclusion, then 2 minutes later in a edit it looks like a network issue? lol

I'm not concluding anything, I basically said it was a guess in my edit.

If the programmers say that they're looking in to it, what more do you want?
    edited August 2014
    @ns2isgood‌

Please spare me the BS. What I want is for people to stop pretending nothing is wrong and coming to the games defense anytime anyone criticizes it or points out flaws. The game will not get better hiding away issues. If you don't see the issue with one CDev saying "hit reg is 100% perfect" then a few posts later another is claiming there is an issue that they can reproduce, I don't know what to tell you. Take a few minute to read back a few responses from all the devs besides Ironhorses last post and tell me if it sounds like they're working on fixing an issue, or deflecting blame.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow

Would it kill them to give me a fresh cream scone with strawberries and a cup of tea? 8->
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    @ns2isgood‌

Please spare me the BS. What I want is for people to stop pretending nothing is wrong and coming to the games defense anytime anyone criticizes it or points out flaws. The game will not get better hiding away issues. If you don't see the issue with one CDev saying "hit reg is 100% perfect" then a few posts later another is claiming there is an issue that they can reproduce, I don't know what to tell you. Take a few minute to read back a few responses from all the devs besides Ironhorses last post and tell me if it sounds like they're working on fixing an issue, or deflecting blame.

You clearly got something wrong.

1. Ironhorse never said that there don't exist issues with the hitreg. All he wanted from you is to make sure that those issues you have seen are really caused by ns2 itself and not by some network / server issue.

2. The CDT is a team of volunteers. So if one members says something here in the forum it doesn't means that he/she speaks for the hole cdt beside if it's a post by the two CDT-leads.

3. Hereby i declare the hitreg talk in this thread as closed. Yes we are well aware that the ns2 hitreg has some few issues. But it's not nearly as incorrect as some ppl seem to believe it is.
    If you want to debate more about this in detail please open a new thread. Prove your statements with videos and images including the net_stats and also post your specs and logs. So we have enought clear facts to debate about!

MuckyMcFly wrote: »

Would it kill them to give me a fresh cream scone with strawberries and a cup of tea? 8->

Sorry sadly i run out of strawberries :D
    @ns2isgood‌

1. Ironhorse never said that there don't exist issues with the hitreg. All he wanted from you is to make sure that those issues you have seen are really caused by ns2 itself and not by some network / server issue.

No, you got it wrong. I never said he claimed there were no issues. Matter of fact, he is the only one that does acknowledge it out of all the dev posts in this thread instead of deflecting the blame like the rest.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    @ns2isgood‌

No, you got it wrong. I never said he claimed there were no issues. Matter of fact, he is the only one that does acknowledge it out of all the dev posts in this thread instead of deflecting the blame like the rest.
    You're right, it's a conspiracy, the CDT is trying to cover up issues instead of trying to fix them. Damn, you uncovered our master plan.

Now if you pointed to these posts you mention perhaps we wouldn't spend another 10 posts circling around this stupid topic.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Get back to fixing NS2 and plotting world domination, Mendasp. Your World Presidential campaign won't run itself.

:D
    edited August 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »
    @ns2isgood‌

You're right, it's a conspiracy, the CDT is trying to cover up issues instead of trying to fix them. Damn, you uncovered our master plan.

It wasn't intended to be thought as a conspiracy. It was just odd the way the whole thing was handled. There was even a thread on reddit after the post where quite a few people thought it was closed very fast, I think it was even created by the same person that posted the video. But then again, you never know. CDT could be part of the Illuminati for all we know.

Now if you pointed to these posts you mention perhaps we wouldn't spend another 10 posts circling around this stupid topic.

If I had remembered, I would have posted earlier. When ironhorse said he could reproduce it, it clicked and I remembered that thread because it's almost exactly the same exact scenario and wording he used. Sorry. I also don't think the topic is dumb considering quite a few people are experiencing issues related to the topic.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Maybe the people experiencing the hit detection problems are experiencing that bug?
    MAYBE they are.. and MAYBE that's why i've been asking for video to determine whether that's the case............
    MAYBE you should also review prior posts in this thread where people first were reporting issues and I say :
    "To be clear: There IS a reported case of a hitreg issue that is being looked into, but it is pretty specific and is an edge case / rare, and cannot be exploited."

But I suppose if you did that I would be less entertained by these conspiracy theories *plays X files theme*...

edit: Drop this topic now. Take it elsewhere, final warning. Those that can provide me with videos to confirm this issue, please PM me or post in technical support forums. Thanks
  • bs_bs_ Join Date: 2014-04-08 Member: 195245Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2014
    I get nothing on my screen when i try fps or net_Stats. What the hell did I do to disable it and how do I fix it?

edit; Nevermind I solved it seconds after posting. My console key shares keyboard space with the pause key, which I guess toggled it on/off.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I noticed some short rubberbanding for the players on the server if new players joining.
    The server is running on NSL serverrates at the moment.

I know these customrates are not supportet.
    But as they are not much higher than normal and server can handle them easy @ rockstable 40 ticks, there might be an hidden issue in that moment player joining.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Lately I've noticed that when I join a server, occaisionally I'll experience a bug where when I'm in the ready room, i'm redplugging, and rubberbanding back to the same position when I try to move. Ping goes pretty high. In-game voice comms remain stable though, and the problem disappears when I join a team.
    Has happenned when the server is empty, and also when the server is half-full. Obviously not game-breaking but it's interesting.

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Lately I've noticed that when I join a server, occaisionally I'll experience a bug where when I'm in the ready room, i'm redplugging, and rubberbanding back to the same position when I try to move. Ping goes pretty high. In-game voice comms remain stable though, and the problem disappears when I join a team.
    Has happenned when the server is empty, and also when the server is half-full. Obviously not game-breaking but it's interesting.

I've noticed this for a long time. Sudden lag but voices are real-time.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    For the people complaining about worse reg, and at the risk of placebo. Do you happen to have multithreaded physics on?
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Now down to 391 average player base, games doing well, lol

http://www.steamcharts.com/app/4920
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    @PoNeH‌ no harm trying the pagefile size increase! If its to low you would experience issues, on any windows.
    Mines waaay to big as I like to account for leaks. ;)

Thanks for the help! I changed the page file to 5GB as recommended by someone here and yesterday at least, I didn't have any more issues. We'll see how it'll do. However, I don't understand how my 16GB of DDR3 RAM is not enough for this game.

BTW, @matso, I did have Tips and Commander Hints off the entire time I've been having these memory allocation issues.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited August 2014
    DarkflameQ wrote: »

Its hard to get the players back if there is no way to reach them to inform them that patches get out and the game gets better with each one of them. News sites wont report game patches, and there is no money for PR. So yes, this is indeed a problem, but i hope a solution can be found (feel free to suggest some, and no, F2P is not an option atm, as this is something UWE would have to decide, not the CDT).
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @PoNeH
    Thats not entirely true. NS2 does not use 16GB of ram. Windows just likes to page memory out. It gets complex fast, lets leave it at 'windows likes'. ;)
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    DarkflameQ wrote: »

cool story bro

thanks for the news, this hasnt been an issue since release at all
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    Its hard to get the players back if there is no way to reach them to inform them that patches get out and the game gets better with each one of them. News sites wont report game patches, and there is no money for PR. So yes, this is indeed a problem, but i hope a solution can be found

A nice thing I noticed is that NS2 was featured in the Steam Store "recently updated" section, as one of the three games on the front page. There was also a brief summary of the update, so I figured the CDT had triggered this :) Not sure how often it is shown there, though.

I think that's an excellent way after a big update to get the word out. If I had quit because of performance issues, that would have certainly made me curious.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mendasp wrote: »
    For the people complaining about worse reg, and at the risk of placebo. Do you happen to have multithreaded physics on?

I have it enabled, yes.

I had another example happening today... Marine at A0, Parasite + 4 solid bites, no Medpacks, not dead. Unfortunately, I forgot to re-enable ShadowPlay after a driver update, so I couldn't take a video. :( I'll keep on trying.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Could any of the recent changes affect how the bite cone updates?

Even if the problem is not necessarily 'hit reg' in the sense of 'does the bite cone intersect marine hitbox?', the skulk bite collision seems very, very off.
    I've nearly 2000 hours in this game and I'd like to think I've got a damn good idea of the range/width of the bite cone, but there are several situations lately where I'm missing bites I would have been certain should hit.

@IronHorse‌ As an end-user what logs/info would best help with diagnosing this?

It's hard for me to get really good video footage, as since the 267 patch my fps drops under 60 in every single engagement, even early game. I can try encoding at a really low res, would this be ok?