Solution to Workshop mod problems

Comments

• ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    That great feature when you finally get players on after it crapping out twice for it to go down a 3rd time.

The workshop is so unreliable we should at this point be demanding a feature where we can download a highly trained monkey to press the buttons for us to restart the server every few hours when it goes down yet again b/c of the inability to have an integrated auto recovery function.
    This is what you get if you try to spend time with your grandmother on her birthday rather than watch servers for this glitch all day:
    Just waking up to another daily server kill due to the workshop.

This is a serious issue that effects the ability of servers to use custom maps/mods and breaks servers with no recovery.

I would really hope that this issue will be appearing on the tracker: https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

• BraxBrax Atlanta Join Date: 2014-03-17 Member: 194791Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SupaFred wrote: »
    @ZEROibis‌ Wasn't the lag fixed in the latest patch? It said so in the patch notes.

@cpt000‌ Here is the consistency check and mapcycle I use on my Combat server. With the check you can run all of the maps in the mapcycle. It's only Twither, Stargate and Nest that requires you to modify the consistency check. files

@SupaFred‌ I'm wondering if this consistency check still works for you? I copied the consistency file to my server, backing up my old one, restarted, and tried to connect to the server while running stargate and I'm still getting error messages about files not matching the server... Is there another work around to this that I'm not finding?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Brax wrote: »
    SupaFred wrote: »
    @ZEROibis‌ Wasn't the lag fixed in the latest patch? It said so in the patch notes.

@cpt000‌ Here is the consistency check and mapcycle I use on my Combat server. With the check you can run all of the maps in the mapcycle. It's only Twither, Stargate and Nest that requires you to modify the consistency check. files

@SupaFred‌ I'm wondering if this consistency check still works for you? I copied the consistency file to my server, backing up my old one, restarted, and tried to connect to the server while running stargate and I'm still getting error messages about files not matching the server... Is there another work around to this that I'm not finding?

Did you set use_own_consistency_config in the ServerConfig.json to true?
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Brax wrote: »

Like Ghoul said you have to change use_own_consistency_config from "false" to "true" in your ServerConfig.json. Since 267 servers use the default consistency check unless you change that value. That's all you have to do to make it work again.
  • BraxBrax Atlanta Join Date: 2014-03-17 Member: 194791Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Woot! You guys are awesome! Thanks. :3
    Now if we could get the workshop fixed... down time yet again today as always from this issue.
    Now we often also get the your game files do not match the servers on map changes as well.
    Wow does not even matter that CO is updated the dam server goes down due to the workshop basically every map change.
    This is just madness. I have lost connection to the workshop multiple times per hour today. Is there anything being done to fix this or is it finally time for us to just give up on mods in this game.
    Just waking up to the daily down time from the workshop.
    Down again, oh and it looks like even an hour later the workshop is still down.

At this point I think UWE should be asking valve what the deal with the workshop is b/c this thing is so unreliable it is just crazy.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why is it that when I play on other servers with mods I don't have them go down no where near as often as yours does? Other combat servers specifically too.
    james888 wrote: »
    Why is it that when I play on other servers with mods I don't have them go down no where near as often as yours does? Other combat servers specifically too.

It may have something to do with the number of mods/maps installed - the more maps i have the more often it seems to go down - even though they're all mods too and so is the Combat gamemode.
    First only when it is a custom map will the problem literally prevent you from loading the map b/c well the map is not there. The issue appears to occur on my server more likely b/c my server is usually populated 24/7 and thus there are a lot of map changes so there is more opportunity for the issue to occur.
    Also I would note that logically the workshop is likely going down in different places at different times and in some nations/areas may go down more often. This would thus punish players and servers who are in these areas more so than others.
    Hope this issue is being looked into b/c it continues to occur on a daily basis except for the times where it occurs multiple times per day now.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I haven't mentioned this before, as I know it's not what you want, but, in the interest of potentially being helpful while you wait for proper remedy:

The TGNS Portal has a "Reset Servers" page which acts as a proxy for the full admin rights necessary to remotely change the map. Without exposing the UWE Web Admin password, it allows responsible community members having a requisite amount of gameplay time on the game servers to mapcycle either server that's empty or having all players in the Ready Room, giving Steam Workshop another chance to do its job. It's used commonly by players to create for themselves the gameplay continuity taken from them by the game server's design. The server owner/admins don't have to get involved or even know the tool has been used.

If you ever lose all hope that the server's design will actually be corrected, and you have a healthy community in which you can designate trusted, responsible members, you might consider such a "solution" for yourself.
    So basically the solution is for us server operators to now enter into an arms race to develop our own secret alternatives b/c UWE nor the CDT can be trusted to fix the problem?

wow
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    This whole stuff could be done diffrent.

at the moment its like:

Case:
    Steamworkshop is off while Mapchange

Action atm:
    server starts without mods running

a much better way would be:

The Gameserver:
    detecteds that it cant connect to the steam workshop so it starts the mods from harddrive (what it allready got earlier downloaded from steamworkshop).

The Client:
    gets the md5 hash from the mod of the gameserver when the client trys to connect

then:
    if the md5 hash matches allright next mod till it finishes and the client is in the readyroom. (no need to have the steam workshop online in that case)

if the md5 dosnt match (your mod is diffrent from the gameserver) it will compare the md5 hash from the gameserver with the md5 hash of the mod on steam workshop

if the gameserver hash matches with the steam workshop hash fine download it from the steam workshop

if the gameserver hash dosnt match to the steam workshop download it from the gameserver so you can connect instead of "cant connect"

(if the steam workshop is not even answering well then ofc download it from the gameserver)

in fact this soultion would result in 0 "cant connect" "mod not running" issues.
    All that would require them to then create the ability to download from the game server.

Many months ago I asked simply to even have it just change the map automatically when this occurs and not kick the clients and in all this time they could not even do that. Even now when they claim they have finally accepted this as an issue it does not even appear in the CDT tracker.

If we start asking for something too complex we will likely be waiting till NS3 comes out.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    Also I would note that logically the workshop is likely going down in different places at different times and in some nations/areas may go down more often. This would thus punish players and servers who are in these areas more so than others.

This is correct. Varying geographic locations of servers have seen significant differences in workshop availability. This means, without them being at fault, some servers get the bad end of the stick, others rarely have issues.

Whatever or whoever is blocking the work on a fix for the workshop issue has to be disposed of.
    Yea this issue continues to occur very often and it prevents players from enjoying the game. But instead of fixing a serious issue that effects the ability to even play the game we get instead time wasted on unnecessary server browser changes. Can the server browser get improvements, sure, but there is other major things to focus on first.
    This issue continues to occur multiple times a day but will there ever be a day that this issue is resolved?
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    I would really hope that this issue will be appearing on the tracker: https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

@Obraxis said they will make that card public for 270, so we can vote on it. =D>

:^o
    Thank God! Now to get people out to vote...
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    Here is a suggestion to solve the workshop problems...

Every mapchange the server is doing an consistancy check on the server. But if the consistancy check fails or the server where the mod is on is unreachable for some reason the check fails and won't load in some particular mod.

The most recent version is always stored in the designated mod folder, is it possible to use that version if the check fails for some reason and use that version of the mod. That way mods always get loaded in. Is there an update available the workshop updater plugin should verify the issue and change the maps again when people are unable to connect due to an update to a mod.

Is this a possibility to make this happen? That would solve the majority of the issues we have with the workshop updater.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Better Error handling and or workshop independancy? Yes please.

Also @Rusty_1‌

does DMD stand for Download Moar Downloads?

1668_picture.png
    Anyone see the workshop card to vote on yet, I can not see it unless I am maybe reading something wrong.