Best beacon rush in history...

RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
MRPPD4A.jpg

This sums it up, 7 people combined stuck in each other at both phasegate locations. The people NOT stuck are blocked by the marines collision and cannot enter to get to the other end.
Who ever did not kill them selves manually got chewed up by skulks and even spitted to death by random gorges. empty hive room with 1 driftor still at 100% thx to this wonderful game mechanic.

the question here is really: When can we fix phasegates?

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited August 2014
    Nice stuck lol. Btw, what map is that? The one called Outer Rim Arch?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Pelargir wrote: »
    Nice stuck lol. Btw, what map is that? The one called Outer Rim Arch?

Yup, that's the one.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ALSO...

Now you can't climb on phase gates it's actually easier to grind them with 1-2 skulks, due to being able to jump up and down while you chew, even when you're stood on the 'ramp' of the PG (previously contact with the model would cause you to stick to it).

Jumping up and down/ moving around a little bit while also being close to the PG makes for harder skulks to kill while they grind.

That said I really dont mind ^^ PG grinding is a fun recreational activity and a great way to stay in shape!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Jumping up and down/ moving around a little bit while also being close to the PG makes for harder Body Blocking skulks to kill that laugh while they grind.
    FTFY ;)
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    @meatmachine‌
    Its funny that you post in this thread.

I saw the OP screenshot any my first thought was your name.
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ALSO...

Now you can't climb on phase gates it's actually easier to grind them with 1-2 skulks, due to being able to jump up and down while you chew, even when you're stood on the 'ramp' of the PG (previously contact with the model would cause you to stick to it).

You could always do this... just hold ctrl to not stick to surfaces

• RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    will look into it :)

Phase gate should be pushing marines out the same way spawn portals do, to avoid blockage. Of course straight forward outside the phasegate. If aliens are biting, it should push them forward too, but only forward and not to the sides, so the aliens still have a chance to bite it down without getting pushed around by the phasing marines.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Howser‌ time to start plugging the triphacegate :)
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    Whatever happened to the gates that used to blow skulks off them when a marine went through?

I feel like once 2 skulks get on a gate, it's pretty much worthless.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    sharnrock wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the gates that used to blow skulks off them when a marine went through?

I feel like once 2 skulks get on a gate, it's pretty much worthless.

The old pushback allowed for a stupid speed bug where you literally could hit 20 speed with a skulk.... not to mention it was just annoying as fuck on alien side.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The best is getting a war gorge up in the phase healing the skulk while he bites the phasegate and marines as they come through... fun to pull off not so fun to loose half the map to.
    Well the trifacegate was something we were going to make for the bandaid mod... part troll, part serious, it was going to be a fairly interesting experiment.
    But Starting a new job and moving to unreal 4 has all but put an end to my ns2 fiddlings. So for reference:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y35vzpfzcvfstyz/trifacegate1.avi
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Howser wrote: »
    The best is getting a war gorge up in the phase healing the skulk while he bites the phasegate and marines as they come through... fun to pull off not so fun to loose half the map to.
    Well the trifacegate was something we were going to make for the bandaid mod... part troll, part serious, it was going to be a fairly interesting experiment.
    But Starting a new job and moving to unreal 4 has all but put an end to my ns2 fiddlings. So for reference:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/y35vzpfzcvfstyz/trifacegate1.avi

What??? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Temple needs you!
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    RejZoR wrote: »

Phase gate should be pushing marines out the same way spawn portals do, to avoid blockage. Of course straight forward outside the phasegate. If aliens are biting, it should push them forward too, but only forward and not to the sides, so the aliens still have a chance to bite it down without getting pushed around by the phasing marines.

i think it should push back aliens too... marines can't block aliens from exiting their tunnels...
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Phase gates are to unreliable to me. Especially due to microlags I get right before crossing into one. I end up just going right through it and end up on the other side about 30% of the time.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow

i think it should push back aliens too... marines can't block aliens from exiting their tunnels...

Not quite the same. Aliens have to physically attack the structure, menaing sending marines through PG and aliens wont' even be able to attack it where they can shoot at tunnels from range...
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    the

Not quite the same. Aliens have to physically attack the structure, menaing sending marines through PG and aliens wont' even be able to attack it where they can shoot at tunnels from range...

they can attack the sides of the gates... The push back should only be on the exit (and entrance) side? Moreover gorges and lerks can do damage from a distance.

But to use their bodies to lock marines in... that's just not fair. If you want to throw some lore in there I'm sure the Frontiersmen would quickly identify that as a combat deficiency and look to improve their phasegates.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Even if skulks couldn't stand on any part of a PG they would still be just as effective grinding a gate - Sans exploiting poor collision mechanics by blocking marine movement entirely, a highly frustrating experience for marines.
    Just attack from the side of the gate; you'll still get a bite in before the marine can react AND you can just strafe bite the easy to follow trajectory of a jumping marine.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    you can outjump a skulk bite, but no matter how many times you jump stuck inside eachother in the gate only killing yourself works even if gate gets recycled.
    edited August 2014
    I highly doubt you can out jump a competent skulk bite.. If anything you're easier to track and land bites on.
    Watch any competitive match for proof of this
    ok then i must have only played 2500+ hours against incompetent skulks because i hit spacebar instead of standing still waiting to die.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    I just hit S when I see a skulk
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    KungFuJV wrote: »
    I just hit S when I see a skulk

There's your problem, you have to hold S down, not just hit it...
    If you know a Pg's getting pummeled, just hold mouse1 as you're phasing and get ready to pump as many bullets into the skulks as you can.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I guess you can say... That's a bacon filled feeding gate16.gif
    edited August 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I highly doubt you can out jump a competent skulk bite.. If anything you're easier to track and land bites on.

all i see in competitive matches is aliens taking quick advantage of body blocking a phase gate. Because why not?

Regardless I believe phase push back is in the best interest of general game play. Wasn't NS2 about PvP not PvE (hence the limit of sentries per room, ironically no limit on whips per room)?
    Of course...
    But we were discussing the hypothetical scenario of body blocking exploits being fixed - therefore resembling every other melee range encounter with a skulk, where comp players take advantage of marine acceleration being a value of 100 when you strafe shuffle, this is in lieu of a predictable and easily tracked trajectory.

@RadimaX‌
    Idk the skill of the players you play against... but in my experience jumping at melee range mostly only fools the lesser skilled. It's certain death against the really good players
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »

IronHorse spittin truth
    edited August 2014
    ironhorse why is this posts about is how skulks can bite people using a functional gate if they jump or not. "in my experience jumping at melee range" says it all...
    maby you are the one not experienced enough then, i dont know how the skills are judged in this build but my server list looks like this:
    wobginb.png
    but enough is enough as an internet police yourself...stay on topic, the question was "When can we fix phasegates?" and that is what i am going back to.
    MARINES GET STUCK IN THE GATE, 0 skulks 0 gorges 0 lerks 0 fades 0 onoses has anything to do with this. (as seen in the picture provided at the VERY top)

marines can use the tunnels and gates however gates has a huge problem, and after 2 hours and 13 minutes game one single phasegate that glitches out causes the game to end, making it all for nothing. You lose to a glitch in the game and i am asking WHEN it can be fixed, if never then say never, if you wanna talk about skills or skulks go make a skulk post.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    OMG look all the servers are VV for me! I must be amazing!

So you know the skill system isn't working, right? And that red downwards double arrow means absolutely nothing at all, right?

When I first read this topic, I'm afraid all I could think of was 'LOL.' Yeah it must have been frustrating, but if you can't see the funny side of that first post, you need to take a break from the game.

Now if it had happened in an official match, then yeah, I could understand the annoyance and frustration (and without doubt it is something that does need to be fixed regardless).