Whips playing attack animation, no damage? Attacking thin-air also...

ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
Was playing on [TA] House of Awesome's server, it was using a modified MR of 30. Decided to see how strong the new whips are. Strong.

I built several whips and they were all doing fine. Echoed a few into the enemy marine's base and they are playing the attack animation but nothing is happening. They were playing the attack animations but weren't hitting anything except for the occasional marine or a single hit on the phase gate.

You can even see, in the top left corner that there is a lone whip in the corner that is spamming it's attack animation with no marines anywhere nearby. The whips started doing damage after I moved them after I echoed them.

This kind of reminded me of, the dancing units in Starcraft 2.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Known issue: Still on to-do to fix whips finally. And btw mr 30 is default ;)
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Known issue: Still on to-do to fix whips finally. And btw mr 30 is default ;)
    I was told 20... my bad.

Alright, good to know. Although, is it a known issue for the whips to be attacking thin-air? Like in the top-left area. The whip was attacking nothing but was never echoed. It was walked there.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Yeah with 267 the whip was basically rewritten. It is still a bit dumb and gets easily confused by too many marine being around it.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Yeah with 267 the whip was basically rewritten. It is still a bit dumb and gets easily confused by too many marine being around it.

There weren't any marines around the top-left whip though. It was doing that for the past 2min or so.
    edited August 2014
    ball2hi wrote: »

There weren't any marines around the top-left whip though. It was doing that for the past 2min or so.

That whip got stuck in a animation loop. Unless it gets a new target or gets moved it will continue playing the whip animation forever. But its a known issue.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Btw it's the server update rate that is defaulted to 20 :)
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not even sure why whips just don't get replaced by some other defense type. Sure they look interesting, but they never worked right and apparently never will. And i always had no problem gunning them down as they were so damn useless.

Why not make them like tentacles in Starcraft where they go through the ground and hit the enemy. Or make them like big hydras or something. Hydras are working perfectly fine, apart from being very weak. So why not build on top of that instead of wasting time on something that has always been broken?