unofficial "official [267] changelog in its entirety"

2»

Comments

• moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    What version of the skill system was finally implemented?
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I had a boo-boo on the screen.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    moultano wrote: »
    What version of the skill system was finally implemented?

i think that one that that one guy posted about with all those details and stuff, i could be wrong, i could be right

bacon
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    haha, moultano was that guy who came up with it. There were however a few options on ways to implement it, and he was curious as to what the final implementation is, as am I. :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    haha, moultano was that guy who came up with it. There were however a few options on ways to implement it, and he was curious as to what the final implementation is, as am I. :)

Yeah, I'm particularly curious about things like the update rate. I just want to make sure all the parameters are sane before it's out in the wild. :)

• MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm frankly not sure if the command chair thing is necessary, though. And it's going to feel weird being able to climb a perfectly flat wall but not a rugged command chair...

Nanites, man... nanites.
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    edited August 2014
    Can make a chair slidey but can't deconstruct a skulk. Useless bloody things, who would want the damn things
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    They need to encompass the alien from all sides. Marines just have not figured out how to automatically open and close the CC yet. Otherwhise they would have built those traps all over the place.
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ArthurDent wrote: »
    nachos wrote: »
    The algorithm might not even work out in it's intended meaning because something was over seen. We first had random ready room, then we had !vote ELO, then we had force random even teams and none of these options has worked perfectly, so don't get your hopes up over yet another option despite the maths being displayed on the forums.

The goal isn't to be perfect, the goal is to not have widley unbalanced teams so that there is a fun match. All it has to do is be better than the old system, not be perfect.

Oh please. There's so much scope on what's better than what we already have that it should be dead easy to make something slightly better but still entirely useless (better teams but still stomp stomp) and this new system has been so hyped up it would be a catastrophe if it fails.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    ArthurDent wrote: »
    The algorithm might not even work out in it's intended meaning because something was over seen. We first had random ready room, then we had !vote ELO, then we had force random even teams and none of these options has worked perfectly, so don't get your hopes up over yet another option despite the maths being displayed on the forums.

The goal isn't to be perfect, the goal is to not have widley unbalanced teams so that there is a fun match. All it has to do is be better than the old system, not be perfect.

Oh please. There's so much scope on what's better than what we already have that it should be dead easy to make something slightly better but still entirely useless (better teams but still stomp stomp) and this new system has been so hyped up it would be a catastrophe if it fails.

Have you used matchmaking in any other games? Even in games that recieve an absolute tonne of funding, the skill balancing is never perfect.
    There will always be: statistical anomalies, times when the players to select from have skill levels/areas that dont gel perfectly, times when players recently learned something that upped their game a tonne but they haven't had enough games for the skill system to adjust. etc etc etc.
    You can never have a 'perfect' balance, every single game (what would be considered a 'perfectly' working skill system). Not unless the game mechanics are extremely linear and the playerbase is huge.

Current FET is just a bit weird, maybe 'working' (or 'not putting the 2 by-far-best players on the same team' 1/5 games or something). The incoming ELO-based system should do a fine job of counteracting that. It wont be perfect, but it'd be kinda silly to expect perfection. If you expect perfection from anyone or anything, expect to be disappointed.

At least thats what I think @ArthurDent‌ was getting at?