Where the **** is Build 267 ?

GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
edited August 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

Propebly most of you asked that question this and last week.

We didn't want to delay the build anymore, but sadly the god of patches was not with us.
So we had to spent another week hunting nasty ancient bugs. Smoothing out all last edges of build 267.

You will ask now why we were not prepared for those bugs.
Short answer: 267 changes such a huge amount of core gamecode a lot dusty ancient bugs arised (some of them were in the gamecode since 2011) and caused a lot of issues we were not prepared for.

A lot code changes mean a lot improvements, right?
Yes, but if you want to hear more about what actually got changed for 267 what our plans for 268 are and what exactly happened last week turn in today at 12PM PDT | 3PM EDT | 20 GMT | 21 CEST to our upcoming CLOGCAST at twitch.tv

Today’s Clogcast will be staring @WasabiOne, @Obraxis and @Mendasp. Also you are free to ask them any question about ns2 and cdt as usual.

Edit: Replaced image with video for all those who missed it this time.

Comments

• Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll be there! Expect hard hitting questions :P
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You got me with that thread title. I was like "Dear Lord not some one freaking out this much."
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I guess I think like everyone else, who cares about when the next build is released? you just need to make it perfect or at least, as perfect as you wish. Next week, next month, if you reach all the stuff you aimed, then, that's the more important thing to know.

But yeah, I'd like to hear everything you're going to say about the next build, I'm pretty curious. If my connection allows me to watch this.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2014
    @Pelargir‌
    Your right, but after the spoilerthreads how awesome 267 going to be, its normal that the people bitching a bit with every delay. (me included)

It really had a bit of the duke @ some point.
    otto_god_colored.jpg
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Won't be able to watch >_>

But. I await. Impress me oh might CDT.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    ezekel wrote: »
    Won't be able to watch >_>

But. I await. Impress me oh might CDT.

You will be able to watch the replay on Twitch at your convenience! :)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    dePARA wrote: »
    @Pelargir‌
    Your right, but after the spoilerthreads how awesome 267 going to be, its normal that the people bitching a bit with every delay. (me included)

It really had a bit of the duke @ some point.
    otto_god_colored.jpg

That comparison is invalid, because DNF ended up sucking. :P
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    So just for all those who missed it yes 267 will be released Tuesday
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Fun fact, while 267 will be cool, 268 and 269 will be even cooler (imho). So there is always stuff to look forward too!
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited August 2014
    So just for all those who missed it yes 267 will be released next Tuesday

Is that the 5th or 12th of August?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Desther wrote: »

Is that the 5th or 12th of August?

5th
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Maybe uwe should start assembling a CDT for subnautica... hehehe. Clearly you guys are digging in and gettin things done.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    if you missed the CLOGCAST, see it here!

August 5th!
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    edited August 2014
    Please use the cdt to keep people up to date on the current task, even if it's a bug that's popped up. =3
    Turbine wrote: »

12th of August? You've got to be kidding me. =[

Please use the beta patch release.

i dont know why next tuesday would mean 12th, it means 5th
  • CoelispexCoelispex Join Date: 2013-07-17 Member: 186172Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2014
    5th! Awesome. Thank you CDT
    edited August 2014
    Asraniel wrote: »

People say this Tuesday if it's coming up, until I saw the other guys post asking this question, I was in shock.

Next Tuesday is used when you intend to mean the following week's Tuesday.

english.stackexchange.com/questions/40869/how-did-next-day-come-to-mean-day-of-next-week
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Did anyone manage to ask if they fixed the most important bug of all...?!

Reloading bug...
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Turbine wrote: »

People say this Tuesday if it's coming up, until I saw the other guys post asking this question, I was in shock.

Next Tuesday is used when you intend to mean the following week's Tuesday.

english.stackexchange.com/questions/40869/how-did-next-day-come-to-mean-day-of-next-week

Well, either way it would have been the 5th. Unless you don't use the international standard : D
  • herrsheimerherrsheimer Join Date: 2008-06-06 Member: 64403Members
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ball2hi wrote: »

Reloading bug...

I'm quite sure this is still not reproducible :(
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited August 2014
    ball2hi wrote: »

Reloading bug...
    If you find a way to reliably 100% reproduce the bug then we can find out what causes it and know if we fixed it or not.

"Sometimes the rifle jams", while annoying, makes it very hard to fix, otherwise it'd be fixed already.
  • HoliHoli Sweden Join Date: 2014-01-28 Member: 193600Members
    I will personally salute whomever manages to figure out what causes the guns to jam sometimes
    Regnareb wrote: »
    Well, either way it would have been the 5th. Unless you don't use the international standard : D

I use standards, unfortunately I can't say the same about some on here, such as the times given entirely skipped GMT. xD

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Holi wrote: »
    I will personally salute whomever manages to figure out what causes the guns to jam sometimes

The damn nanites sometimes don't form projectiles properly, and will have a small chance of jamming the gun.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Enjoyed the clogcast and the epic changelog!

Two things I didn't see addressed, if you wouldn't mind expanding @Wasabione and CDT:

* One of the other threads there was discussion of unlocked server values for... something or other. AI Updates and/or tickrate of some sort. I'm not a server guy. But I'd still appreciate reading a summary what these changes are and how they might impact the game (if at all) if server admins use them (and should they use them? Why/why not?)

* The new skill system is I think one of the most important changes for NS2, as the biggest complaint on pubs (and where of course greens are going to form their opinion of the game) is unbalanced games from team stacking, and 'Random' doesn't help. The clogcast covered how the skill system impacts the server browser, but does 'Randomize teams' or 'Force even teams' now use this system? Or has nothing changed here? If the latter, is there a way we can setup teams based on the new skill system, even via a mod?

M
    Yes, force even teams uses the new skill system
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Yes, force even teams uses the new skill system
    You.
    Are.
    AWESOME. (all CDT)

Now to change the perception on servers, where Force has gotten a bad rap (since a] it didn't actually make even teams and b] it only allocated up to 16 players). I wonder if a name change for the function is in order, like 'Force balanced teams (using skill system)'.

(Edit: does it also now allocate more than 16 players for 18+ servers?)

The irony that we may see is that votes often don't pass when people abstain, and yet this will be the one feature that (hopefully) leads to 8/10 games being great, instead of 1/10 as it is now (for those rare occasions of two fairly matched teams on pubs).

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm considering streaming monday's PT games if people would actually want to watch it (it plays out a bit like pub games really ^^).
  • TachiTachi moldova Join Date: 2014-01-06 Member: 192562Members
    Why mendasp was not allowed to speak about new server features? Does that means that no improved tickrates and updaterates this build or what? Same old 30ticks?