Warper Concept & Starship Update - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageWarper Concept & Starship Update - Subnautica

In real life / meatspace / on Planet Earth, the underwater world is often more ‘alien’ than we realise. It is surprisingly hard to come up with ideas for Subnautica...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment section
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    This begs the question: Is this an alien technology (meaning intelligent life), or some highly-evolved biological method of locomotion? I love it when games evoke a sense of mystery about your world...not knowing if you will ever discover the answer.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    On a related note are there going to be alien cities?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    That looks so good! I hope all that mystery about the alien technology will be announced later or something.

Anyway, I really like the starship aesthetic and I want to see more about this universe & how far having a starship for the underwater world is important.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think the best way to make things that seem obviously alien is to choose patterns of symmetry that are uncommon on earth.

For instance, things that are radially symmetric but not reflectionally symmetric.

Things that are reflectionally symmetric on two axes but not rotationally symmetric at 90°, like the capital serif I.
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    edited August 2014
    For instance, a animal that only eats bones like the "bearded vulture" does
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I smell a pre kharaa fade.. :p
    In other comment... looks like a interesting water concept.. Me like.
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    This creature got a lot of gameplay potential. Imagine trying to get a DNA sample from the Warper that can give you some powerful upgrades. To do so you must hunt it down through several portals it places which will lead you to different bioms and dangers until it gets tired and vulnerable enough to grab a DNA sample from.
    For example: on the other side of the portal there is too high pressure for your suit so you have to swim up as quickly as possible or your oxygen tank will explode. Maybe there are creatures that like eating Warpers and you must defend and hunt down the Warper without it getting killed.
    I like where the creature design is going
  • TheRookie545TheRookie545 Browning, MT Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 214998Members
    Here is my theory on the warper. Now as far as we players of the game can tell most of the creatures in the game act like our features of the ocean. Now the warper is one of those creatures that is completely alien. The fact that it can create portals shows that is has some form of intelligence, that is my opinion at least. In the image above it seems to be running from the human. But we dot know if this is natural instinct to run from the player, or if the player provocked it. It may have high intelligence or not, but I hope it has some important role in the story of Subnautica.
  • eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    edited March 2016
    I just hope I am prepared when I go into his portal. Food check, water check, knife the only weapon I have check. Maybe he, he looks like a he, will take me to his leader since I am here to take over their plaint. Armed only with a Survival Knife thing and not a very good one at that, it keeps breaking.

I love the artwork I cant wait until I can see him or her in game. And can have them over to my base for tea or coffee, with cured fish and jam on toast.

I have 274 hours in game since Feb. 23 and love every second. Yes I have No life long story, for another time.
    Keep up the good work and make August come fast, if Devs have that power.
  • galaxagondorgalaxagondor Island of the Ancients Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217080Members
    Do you remember how in the beginning the Aurora was hit by an energy projectile? The warper obviously has the ability to harness energy and if you look at the wiki (though that is always subject to change) it says that it can shoot teleporting projectiles. Devs have said that it will play a role, maybe that's part of its role or you have to use it to get back to Earth.
  • thelapiskeeperthelapiskeeper Join Date: 2020-03-17 Member: 258872Members
    Anytime soon could we get a blue print or scan Mattick of hell the work for functions?
  • thelapiskeeperthelapiskeeper Join Date: 2020-03-17 Member: 258872Members
    Anytime soon could we get a blue print or scan Mattick of hell the work for functions?
    Schematic