My take on a NS2 manual

Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
edited December 2014 in New Player Forum
Hi all,

With the recent sale, I am seeing a lot more new players on servers. Which is nice to see. However, I also notice most of them don't communicate very much. The keen ones do, and ask questions, but the fence sitters don't say anything, and probably won't realise the potential of NS2 unless they immerse themselves in its tactics and game play. To do that, it would be helpful if they were given a few simple pointers.

There are many good guides (text and videos) out there already, but I feel they are trying to get players to become more like pros (very strict discipline, positioning, play pugs to improve aim etc...). I play pub, and have no intention of going comp (I suck too much), but the point is I want to show new players a few simple things that would give them enough knowledge to at least get more out of their game than rage quit because the mechanics of the game wasn't explained to them, and its not obvious to someone who may have come from more straight shooters. I know all the info is on the Wiki (hell, I got many of the pictures from there), but it isn't in a easy to read format.

This is a work in progress and this is part 1 only. I would love feedback on this (either PM or reply to this thread. Things I would like to do
1. work out how to use the Cinematic Editor for some screen shots
2. continue with part 2 that deals with more advance concepts and structures
3. higher resolution pictures - the ones I got in the current version sucks (didn't realize the down scale would make it look so bad).

Here is the link for my take on a NS2 manual part 1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ND6VhU_QitV3VDbU9jbFVYT3c/edit?usp=sharing

Part 1 + 2
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ND6VhU_QitVk1raUdaV3lrY0E/edit?usp=sharing

Part 1 + 2 + 3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ND6VhU_QitdGp3Y2VGQVZCVm8/edit?usp=sharing
this one is opened up for comments

Parts 1-4 (new section updated 13th July)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ND6VhU_QitUkROT0NHX0NhRzA/edit?usp=sharing
opened up for comments

Parts 1-5 (I consider the draft manual finished updated 27th July)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ND6VhU_QitQjZqRi1pRVF0bFk/edit?usp=sharing
Opened up for comments

Please download to see it in full colour (the online render is very blocky).
cheers

The Steam guide version can be found here: steam guide

EDIT: took my other posts and put all links together. I will do this from now on, so everything is in the OP.
EDIT: Just an update. I will update the manual to reflect the new changes (reaper pack, and metabolize etc...)

Comments

• slizzeredslizzered Germany Join Date: 2014-05-31 Member: 196317Members
    Wow, that was actually a really nice read. Reminded me of the old days, when you bought a game on CD and there was a 30-page manual included that told you about the available items/moves/interfaces. Also the lore about marine training... loved it!

I have a few ideas/amendements:
    • The lore about the IP: it says, that a new marine is teleported from the mothership. The wiki has a different explanation for the process, that fits the concept a bit better, I think: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Infantry_Portal#Background
    • The Kharaa could need a bit more introductory text... again, I like the text in the wiki a lot: http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Kharaa#Introduction
    • In general, the wiki seems to have a fair amount of nice pictures and atmospheric texts. I don't know about the license, but it might be a good idea to use some of that content. In the wiki, everything is a bit scattered. But in this manual, it will become a compact and nice collection of information and story.
    • Explain the HUD. Like, use a screenshot and annotate everything with numbers, then explain all the numbers with a few sentences. (just did a quick image search and thought of something like this)
    • Explain where players can customize their player models (it is not obvious that you have to be connected to a server)
    • Marine commanding could follow after introducing the Kharaa lifeforms. The lore could be, that the Private Roppa's unit was ambushed by a group of new lifeforms (Fade/Onos?) and they barely made it out alive. Private Roppa actually got a lucky kill on the Onos, but took a spore to the knee. Being kind of a famous veteran then, he is promoted to command although he has no experience with it. [Start the commanding section of the manual...]

I hope you keep at it, looks extremely promising. Having this kind of manual just feels right.
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    If you opened it up for comments I could start proof reading it for you.

Also: Pretty please use a standard font (like helvetica or arial) for the bulk of the text. Keep the neat tech font for the headers (design major peeves, sorry).

Overall a very nice way to introduce the marine side of the game. I'd be happy to help any way I can, something like this would be very useful for the green tide.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    @slizzered‌ I will add the HUD things next (Cannon Fodder called to check the HUD map ;)
    @Calego‌ I will check the font to see if it reads better. Also, thanks for the offer to proof read, I haven't got plans to open it up yet for edits (but will once I get further in the project when the text gets too long to manage alone).

Cheers

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    When you describe Command Station you are saying about comm role:
    "to eliminate any Kharaa presence on the map."

I think You should say that main goal is to eliminate all alien hives.
    Marines needs to know at the begining what is the main goal.

Armory not only have mines and shootguns it needs more info there.
    "Building structures is fundmental to marines success."

No its not again missleading goals.
    "Press the “use” key"
    press and hold...
    "You can also build a structure by using a welder on it"
    you can build it faster its a good additional tip in this section.
    "power nodes must be ocnstructed"
    spelling

Dont use "rooms" maybe part of the base or area? some parts are open area.
    "resource towers"
    ? rookie will not know what it is. Only old vets from ns1 knows what is an RT ;p harvester.
    "The more of these your team has"
    not only have but operetional/working/powered. Needs more info on it.
    "fired it. ie. you are hurt by your own grenades and mines, but not"
    yes granades from granade launched not the acutal granades. Its a litle missleading
    reveal nearby aliens in range. It can also be used to
    recall
    all marines currently in the field back to base.

Becon needs more explenation.

I think its all i would work on. Its a realy good read.
    Add requesting ammo and medpacks. Its a must be in first marine steps.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @CarNage1 Thanks for the feedback. After going back through the document, your suggestions make alot of sense. I am doing the corrections you suggested tonight, and it does flow alot better.

@Calego I have changed the font to Arial, and it is so much easier to read and correct now :). It does mean I had to reformat the whole thing as arial takes up less space then the Microgramma font.

@slizzered‌ I have gone back to the Wiki and taken more things out of there as it is the definite guide to NS lore.

I will upload a new version (with many fixes some time this weekend). In the mean time, please point rookies to this thread, as I will be updating the manual.
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    Any plans for an Alien guide in this format?
    TinCan wrote: »
    Any plans for an Alien guide in this format?
    Definitely. It will be more part 2. The first part for marines will end with the introduction of weapons upgrades, shotgun and mines (that is the start of mid game for marines). Then part 2 is more aliens and their structures up to the lerk (this is also where aliens start the mid game). This will be in the form of scientific studies and reports. Then Marine late game (AA, proto, sentry, arcs, MACS), followed by Alien late game (fade, oni and abilities.

Part 1 is almost complete now. I will start on part 2 soon.
    I completed part 1. Hope you like it. Please share with with rookies and others that may be interested.

Share link:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ND6VhU_QitdUtHUGR4UVJMQ00/edit?usp=sharing

Please give me feed back. I will start to work on part 2 now.

Things to do Part 1:
    1. get a picture of an armory hump (if someone can supply it would be appreciated)
    2. get the pictures to be more consistent. I will delete the black BG (not a priority atm)
    3. I uploaded as a draft as I don't know if I had typos (I read it twice, but I wrote it, so I may have skipped words).

Part 2:
    Alien Early game
    I won't be describing hive upgrades or shift crag shade hives (these are commander things). I am targeting this to field players.
    Marines will encounter gorge and lerks (hydra, tunnel clogs), and crag.

Part 3
    Marine Mid-late game
    rest of marine tech

Part 4 Alien Late game
    fade, onos, upgrades and abilities

Part 5 commanding
    oh sweet progress!
    New things that I especially liked:
    • The lore about the first skulk-attack teaches about situational awareness
    • The same part is also teaching about medpacks and ammo-packs, which explains the cycle of some fights

Suggested improvements:
    • For the power-node, add a useful tips entry, which explains about the practice "build power node to 99%, build structure, finish power node"

Over all, the mixture of lore and explanatory items is pretty awesome!
    edited June 2014
    Sry for double-posting, but I just saw that @Laosh'Ra‌ started a thread to create a list of all the hidden mechanics in the game.

It would be great if such a list could be in the manual, maybe at the end of each species as "Advanced tips" or "Top Secret intel"

See here (currently still under heavy development, as it seems)
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135042/let-s-make-a-list-of-hidden-mechanics
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Just read the 1st section, very well written! Its much easier to read with the personal logs of Urpa breaking things up and putting him in situations the rookie will most likely find themselves in! :D

@slizzered thanks for the feedback.
    @Benson thanks for the encouragement. I am almost done with part 2 (alien early game). That is also written in the marine prespective, but hints abound.
    Hi all,

Part 2 (actually, its Part 1 + Part 2). I am always making corrections etc.. and formatting. As usual, please let me know about typos etc...

Link here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ND6VhU_QitVk1raUdaV3lrY0E/edit?usp=sharing

things to consider:
    • Marine HUD graphic: The numbers on the picture would benefit greatly from some visual enhancement. Put them in an orange circle. Or use a filled, black rectangle as background for each number
    • Marine HUD Minimap graphic: The numbers 5 and 6 are still there. Although maybe that's intentional (but it is not strictly necessary to repeat that information)
    • page 14, 3rd paragraph: "Let's go, rookie"
    • same paragraph: "Use your welder, idiot"
    • same paragraph: "Move on, rookie"
    • Both in the text about cysts and mines, you explain that infestation interferes with the proximity detectors. It might be enough to mention it once.
    • page 16: "Relax, it's a Kharaa harvester"
    • same paragraph: some continuity error: Some minutes before, the marine has a welder. Now he uses the axe against the harvester...
    • page 26: to a new reader, it seems like the Marine has BOTH the welder and the axe ("you can axe it down later" VS "use your welder against the clogs")
    • Text about clogs: you have unclosed parentheses (

The whole manual is getting a lot longer than I initially expected. Very impressive :)
    edited July 2014
    @slizzered Thanks for proof reading it. I will make corrections.

Yes, its getting longer than I expected. I have another 4 pages of text written for the mid game already. I think the entire document is going to be about 70 or so pages (currently 30). There is so much complexity in the game :-) thats why I love it.

If you think the manual is worthwhile, please direct new players to it so they can enjoy this game.

I would like to add some acknowledgement for you guys that have done proof reading (I ll do that for the next version).
    Hi all,
    I will be uploading the next version of the manual after work today. It adds 1 more section to the manual, and I did a lot of grammar fixes. This time I will open it up for comments as suggested by someone on Reddit.
    Hi all,
    Version 0.6 has been added, here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ND6VhU_QitdGp3Y2VGQVZCVm8/edit?usp=sharing

I opened up commenting for anyone accessing.

Let me know how I can improve it. I may not be able to do all requests, but will try.

Thanks for reading.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Amazing job, it reminds me the good old days. Its like reading the fallout 1 manual all over again, sniff...
    Keep it up!!!!
    new section done. See OP.
    edited July 2014
    Just an update. I finally finished writing the draft for the manual (the next section). Will format it for InDesign over the next day or two and should have it uploaded by Monday night (AEST)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Can I suggest that you compile this into a document and add it as a guide on Steam? Most players never visit the forums of the games they are playing, most steam users never venture out of the steam environment for their games. This has far more chance of being seen by the people who need it if hosted in the workshop.

Great work so far :D
    @Soul_Rider.
    Thanks for the encouragement. I have tried to spread this as wide as I can, so far it is on Reddit (sticky post), here in the general forum, and the New Player forum, I have also post it on the AUSNS forum. And have a discussion post on STEAM. And whenever I go on a server, if I see a green player, I will direct them to the reddit post (precisely because I don't know if people are on this forum). Putting this on STEAM will be a way off, mainly because I compiled this in Adobe InDesign (to give me the paper manual feel), so I have to strip it all out and re-do it all. I am happy to give the file to someone if they are keen to do this. I consider it open source ;-)

Cheers
    Its finished!! See OP for latest link.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Can I suggest that you compile this into a document and add it as a guide on Steam? Most players never visit the forums of the games they are playing, most steam users never venture out of the steam environment for their games. This has far more chance of being seen by the people who need it if hosted in the workshop.

Great work so far :D
    @Soul_Rider‌ I take back what I said about it being hard. I am working on that right now. Will take a few more days, as I would like to get the formatting right.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wow, great job. I'm about 75% finished reading it and I have a couple of suggestions.

1. You describe the spurs as looking like (clam) shells. A more fitting description in my opinion would be to say that they look like the spurs of a cowboy (only meatier).

2. I think it's a really funny idea to sneak a couple of names from the community into your guide. However, some of them would look a lot better if they were a bit more sneaky. For example Commander WasabiOne could be 1st Commander Wasabi and Lieutenant RedDog could be Lt. John "The Red Dog" Smith (don't use the name John Smith obviously).
    @d4rkAlf‌ Thanks for the suggestions.
    1. Haven't thought of the spurs as cow boy spurs (will amend). When I looked at the model viewer, the white part looked like a clam shape, so that was my description, but cow boy spurs are so much better.
    2. I will take that on Board, and think for something like you suggest :-)

• MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Amazing work Cannon Fodder! Beautiful.
    @MistenTH Thanks. Appreciate the ummm appreciation :-) Please let rookies know about it, so they can benefit from some game basics before they jump in the deep end (pub games).
    Just an update in case people are interested, I will be updating this to reflect the newer changes (eg. upgrades all now hive based, reaper, metabolize for fades and shadow step taken out) etc...
    On a plugging note, I have about 700+ unique view on the steam guide (I don't know how many people download the google drive document).