Game Crashes on Server Browser & Game Load

nairysnairys usa Join Date: 2013-10-23 Member: 188795Members
Hi all, my game crashes whenever I try to go to the Server Browser. To get around this error, I have to delete this file from my Roaming directory: HistoryServers.json. Once I try to join a server, it crashes as soon as I try to do anything after the loading screen. I nuked all of the files per the tech support post but the problem keeps happening. You can access my tech support files here: http://www.filedropper.com/techsupport

Thanks.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    There's nothing in your log of importance.. but i noticed you are using a laptop.
    Do you have the latest display drivers installed for that 670m?
    How does it crash? does it just go to a black screen?
    If you are running comodo anti virus, uninstall it temporarily, it has known issues with ns2
  • nairysnairys usa Join Date: 2013-10-23 Member: 188795Members
    Thanks for the prompt response. Yes, I have the latest drivers for my GTX 670m. The screen just freezes and I have to open Task Manager to close the application. I am not utilizing Comodo Anti Virus. Is there anything else I can provide to help diagnose the problem?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    So the screen freezes, as in it just holds still?
    No "debug report" popup appears, asking you to close NS2?
    Between nothing showing up in the log, no debug report popup, and the screen "freezing" .. it makes me think NS2 isn't actually crashing but instead your display drivers, D3D, or something else is.

What driver, specifically, are you running for your 670? Nvidia's or your Laptop maker's? (for instance, i never could run nvidia drivers for my laptop's 9800 gtx, i had to use alienware's) Driver version numbers will help here, too.

Go into your Steam\SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010 folder and run DXSETUP.exe just to be on the safe side.
    Lastly, just to test a theory ... press alt + enter when you're in the main menu.. this will make NS2 go into a windowed mode... just see if it crashes the same exact way. (freezes but no debug report popups)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    if a driver crashes there is a good chance its noted down in windows event viewer. (eventvwr)
    I suggest to check the viewer for any errors to guide you to any problems.
    Correct, the screen holds still as soon as the layout for the Server Browser loads. No debug report, etc. It just straight up freezes until I force close it. I tested the windowed mode and it crashed the same way with no noticeable changes. I neglected to mention that the music still plays after the crash, in case that helps.

I am using Nvidia's drivers - current version # is 337.88.

I ran the DXSETUP.exe and waited for it to do its thing. Unfortunately, no luck!

It's pretty weird because I ran into this issue last year and posted in this thread - http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2161568. At the time, I was only having the Server Browser crash and not the in-game crash immediately after loading. The problem went away after a new game build was released but it's unfortunately resurfaced all of a sudden.

I peeked at my event viewer and saw the hangs from ns2.exe. Haven't been able to figure out what to do with this information though.
    edited July 2014
    Are you running NS2 in admin mode? Right click your desktop shortcut icon and run as an administrator.
    This shouldn't be needed, but because of odd setups that people have used in the past, it has helped before with write permission issues.

After trying that, I would disable steam cloud for NS2 first, then backup your entire %appdata%/Natural selection 2/ folder by renaming it to something else.
    Then try running NS2 and joining a server (its going to take a good 5 minutes to load now, unfortunately) > then quit > run NS2 again and see if you still have the issue.
    It could be something as simple as a corrupted file that keeps being revived by steam cloud

Hmph I don't want to speak too soon but it looks like the problem went away by deleting the Server History JSON file one more time, switching to D3D11, then reloading the game. I'm skeptical at the moment but I'll check back in here in case the problem resurfaces. I'll also try your most recent steps as well. Thanks for the assistance!
    No problem. I really wonder what's causing it tho..
    I'd almost rather it remain broken so we can isolate the cause to fix it for other users than it just randomly working again ;)
  • tdunc-tdunc- Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179214Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    NECRO

I have had this exact issue with NS2 since about the same time. Also a big reason why I gave up and quit. Still have the same issue to this day.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    tdunc- wrote: »
    NECRO

I have had this exact issue with NS2 since about the same time. Also a big reason why I gave up and quit. Still have the same issue to this day.

Hi @tdunc- ! Please follow the instructions on this post to get us the information we need to help figure out what the problem is. :)
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131384/how-to-make-a-good-tech-support-post-read-me-first
    @tdunc-
    Have you also tried deleting your ServerHistory Json file?