267: FPS quality, part 2: Files and the critical path

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    in regards to the WHERE'S THE PATCH!? questions, we are still heavy into testing. We found two potential "show stoppers" over the last few days of testing and have got all of the programmers looking into them. While it is exciting looking at all that Matso and the other programmers have done, as always we are making sure the patch is as stable as can be before release. It will come out when its right :) but obviously we are hoping that means very soon.

But where's the patch!?

I'm kidding. :P I'll be a patient gorge, though I haven't been this excited for a patch since 266.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Good read. Looks like you're doing a great job! Cheers to CDT ;)

Though i did get the feeling at times the post is somewhat belittling the original UW coders.
    But maybe it's just me.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    matso wrote: »
    asdf
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    Hamlet wrote: »
    I wonder what would be the ideal (minimum) amount of VRAM for NS2 to run properly.
    2 GB? 3 GB?

After the update... it should probably be anything around 1GB being sufficient for high textures I hope. Proper streaming should allow for almost any resolution of textures to be viewed up close... it is just their quality while moving around or in the distance that should be compromised.

Higher amounts of VRAM should allow for more temporal stability in texture quality IMO, not better textures when viewed up close (unless the gulf in texture RAM is huge like 6GB)

1.6-1.8 Gb allocated is the about the high limit with high textures; depends a bit on the map.

So a 2Gb card do not have any problem with running high textures.

Medium textures have half the dimension as high (you drop one MipMap level), so they take up 1/4 of the high textures (and low has 1/16th of high).

As you have some (say 100Mb) of other stuff, that means medium textures hits about 600-700Mb and low 300Mb, about.

And yea, the texture streamer actually works well enough that you can run on high textures with a 1-1.5Gb card (if you have less than that, used medium textures).

If you have a dual core, the extra work from the streamer might lower your fps by 1-2% though.

Sounds fantastic! I very much look forward to turning up my texture resolution to high again and enjoying some crisp up close textures :D

THanks for the wonderful response matso.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    WasabiOne wrote: »
    in regards to the WHERE'S THE PATCH!? questions, we are still heavy into testing. We found two potential "show stoppers" over the last few days of testing and have got all of the programmers looking into them. While it is exciting looking at all that Matso and the other programmers have done, as always we are making sure the patch is as stable as can be before release. It will come out when its right :) but obviously we are hoping that means very soon.

Great work testing guys, can not wait for it to come out without any surprises. The testers have always done a great job helping to ensure that new builds do not blow up all our systems with some new bug that went undetected.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I can entertain you meanwhile with stories about how the buttholes misteriously disappeared between NS1 and NS2 from all the alien models.
    They misteriously appeared in Gorgeous Patch again. But enormous in size now and often come in pairs.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    What does this mean for the time it takes to precache? Will it be increased by a significant amount?
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I can entertain you meanwhile with stories about how the buttholes misteriously disappeared between NS1 and NS2 from all the alien models.

Go on.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I don't understand a single thing in this thread but someone in my pants is getting very, very excited!
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Performance increases...this could be the greatest patch since I started playing this game. Taking the time to eliminate stutters from the game (most of them in 267) is very much appreciated.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Deck_ wrote: »
    Performance increases...this could be the greatest patch since I started playing this game. Taking the time to eliminate stutters from the game (most of them in 267) is very much appreciated.

Just a reminder, performance increases may happen for some people, with certain configs, with some of the new options. But we cant promise them for everyone.

What we CAN promise for everyone, is a 'smoother' frame-timing experience. NS2 should 'feel' better and more responsive - which a number of players have said for a long time matters sometimes more than framerate.

Yes, I agree it is very important and what this game is lacking at the moment. Knowing you won't stutter when you go to a different side of the map or many of the other stutters we get being eliminated is a big change. That is why this patch has the potential to be one of the best, because this changes the way the game is played during combat which is the most important. New features and fixes are nice, but a lot of people that play this game want the smoothest experience when tracking/moving. I'm looking forward to it.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @Deck_‌ then you're gonna love the unlocked server rates, too.. It feels like a different game, skulks actually die in 9 rounds, it's weirdly amazing. ;)
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    I haven't seen any mention of the server interface glitch, where events aren't being registered. Sometimes it happens every time it's opened, other times it's fine. It generally takes 2-6 NS2 restarts every time it occurs.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @Deck_‌ then you're gonna love the unlocked server rates, too.. It feels like a different game, skulks actually die in 9 rounds, it's weirdly amazing. ;)

What's the new defaults that you guys are testing? (tic wise)
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Is that included in the next patch? How much more is required from the server to handle increased tick rates?
    SupaFred wrote: »

Is that included in the next patch? How much more is required from the server to handle increased tick rates?

It was done before using a mod or something (dragon did it) and it didn't seem to stress the server much, however I think we were only using it for 6v6

I believe it's in the next patch
  • ExoskelettExoskelett Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175509Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Deck_ wrote: »

Just a reminder, performance increases may happen for some people, with certain configs, with some of the new options. But we cant promise them for everyone.

What we CAN promise for everyone, is a 'smoother' frame-timing experience. NS2 should 'feel' better and more responsive - which a number of players have said for a long time matters sometimes more than framerate.

Thats actually a big call dude! Since ive started playing NS2 ive always noticd some delay up on the input, if you can get that even smoother and more responsive you would become my personal hero.

its nice to see that NS2 actually becomes serious business finaly trough the CDT. I have quit for a while and now this game becomes more and more interesting, even if it is really late tho and shouldve been focused by UWE ages ago... but at least better than never.

Keep the work going i will check those patches out from time to time.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    ezekel wrote: »

What's the new defaults that you guys are testing? (tic wise)
    The default will not change as for the moment increased update rates etc require better servers. Its also all experimental changes for now that will have to be tested on a larger scale
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I haven't seen any mention of the server interface glitch, where events aren't being registered. Sometimes it happens every time it's opened, other times it's fine. It generally takes 2-6 NS2 restarts every time it occurs.
    I have that too from time to time. But this is not the right place to voice this issue. (Console "connect 1.1.1.1" then "disconnect" might solve your restart ordeal.)
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    Will this apply to the linux version as well?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    @ArthurDent‌
    Part 2 (this thread) , Yes.
    Part 1 (not this thread), I do not know, but i'd assume no considering it's a different renderer (Opengl instead of DirectX)

But even if that's the case: Fear not.. we have Linux developers on the CDT now :D
    RockyMarc wrote: »
    Where's mah patch! :)
    We've had a few more bugs to "Iron" out before release that popped up near the end.. trust me it's worth waiting so you don't have to deal with these things.
    Here's an example of what i mean :
    8dga44g.jpg
    (We've had to delay the implementation of Korean fonts until 268 as a result)

Small changes that seem entirely benign can have huge impacts sometimes..
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    Korean fonts caused that!? This is UTF-8 right? Are the fonts being applied to the models in some way?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    We've had a few more bugs to "Iron" out before release that popped up near the end.. trust me it's worth waiting so you don't have to deal with these things.
    8dga44g.jpg

Small changes that seem entirely benign can have huge impacts sometimes..

Anything to do with the recent CDT tweet?

When's the patch? ;D
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    8dga44g.jpg
    So you're saying that we must delay the advent of our Korean overlords for as long as possible. >:)