Subnautica Sand Shark Concept Art - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Sand Shark Concept Art - Subnautica

Subnautica is going to feature a world full of creatures. Some might be friendly, others not so much. The Sand Shark concept piece by Cory shows a creature that might...

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump WAKE UP silly forum robot! Make a comment thread.
  • abYsssabYsss Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72433Members
    Am I right to assume from this picture, that you will at least partially try to simulate a working food chain?

Because that would be pretty cool.

Looking at the numerous teeth in the sharks mouth I also wonder, if there will be some type of cleaner fish.
    Maybe a particularly brave one, who attempts to clean the sand sharks teeth.
    Possibly that fluffy colour ball is being chased, because he did a bad job at it.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Brilliant art as usual.
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I second the idea of a working food chain.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
  • PogoPPogoP Environment Artist Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25827Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation
    Lovely design on that thing, nice work Cory!
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    4 eyes look ridiculous. There's no reason, no creature has 4 eyes.
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    Melancor wrote: »

Actually, several do. You can search to find out more about them. Also, no harm in making it fantastical... from what I understand, Subnautica isn't intended to be a realism simulator.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    having 2 eyes gives you 3d visual information. but if their field of vision does not overlap (as would be the case with eyes pointing sideways), that will obviously not work. having 2 eyes on each side makes up for that, giving 3d vision on both sides and also a huge field of view in total. so i think this makes sense.
    and as sickboy pointed out, some existing creatures have more than 2 eyes, e.g. spiders.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    having 2 eyes gives you 3d visual information. but if their field of vision does not overlap (as would be the case with eyes pointing sideways), that will obviously not work. having 2 eyes on each side makes up for that, giving 3d vision on both sides and also a huge field of view in total. so i think this makes sense.
    and as sickboy pointed out, some existing creatures have more than 2 eyes, e.g. spiders.

To be fair none of them are pointed forward, which is less than ideal for using its mouth on anything, let alone small moving targets.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The eyes of a hammerhead shark aren't pointed forward either ;)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Benson, was just about to say that when reading this thread.
    Also, even insects with "2" eyes (eg a fly), actually has many more than that. As each eye is a compound eye (meaning there are many segregated photo receptors, and each of these is an eye).

Cool pic btw.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    Gotta love the sandshark. He's obviously having way too much fun. You can see him go "weeeeeeeeeeeeee" when jumping out of the sand. Everything he does he does for fun and delight -- even crushing your bones. Nothing personal, you know. He's the cookie monster of the sea. Try not to be the cookie.

Well at least that's my (entirely made up) background story for this guy.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Pretty spot on, LumpN.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Things a bit quiet atm, The sand shark mouth reminds me of a skulk mouth (with the dislocating jaw), and the fish being chased a hive (with the little back blow holes).