Way to go CDT team

Comments

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Saltlick wrote: »
    I can't help but read "CDT" as "Crash to Desktop." I'm sorry! The letters don't even match!

Heh, I do that too. Hooray lysdexia!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    What's bugging me is the non-quadratic form of the CDT-Badge as opposed to every other badge.
    Joke aside, good work CDT team!

YES! We DEMAND more badges in the form of ax^2 + bxy + cy^2

The solution is having ax^2 + bx + c = 0.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Hey now, our badges IN GAME (which did not make it in for the last patch, but will for 268) are definitely conforming to the norm, and resemble your personality type, you square. :D
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Hey now, our badges IN GAME (which did not make it in for the last patch, but will for 268) are definitely conforming to the norm, and resemble your personality type, you square. :D
    Good for me I said quadratic and not square. So you wouldn't mean me right? :)

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited July 2014
    What's bugging me is the non-quadratic form of the CDT-Badge as opposed to every other badge.

OK is 'a' negative or positive? We may be on to something with these hax, er, badges.

Wait, does it need to be a function? If not, shit's gettin cray cray.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Way to go CDT team? Or way to go CDT badge?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_form

Yes that's right... in that case, y would be a constant.
    edited July 2014

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_form

Yes that's right... in that case, y would be a constant.

Edit: you are correct sir. I apologize. I didn't look carefully enough. Should be ax^2+2byx+cy^2=0.

Idk what a, b, or c are.... the mystery of the badges continue.

(If my math is off it's BC I haven't taken calc for over 8 yrs)
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @Pelargir why so salty? I remember you being pretty excited about badges.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    @Decoy, not about new badges (or size) on a different thread. I didn't say badges aren't cool, especially yours. lol

+ I don't understand all these calculations...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Pelargir wrote: »
    @Decoy, not about new badges (or size) on a different thread. I didn't say badges aren't cool, especially yours. lol

It's what you get when you want a mathematician to solve a practical problem :D

I mean, why not use Pixels? Or hire a graphics designer in the first place? :P
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    ...We have a superior skill system coming into play and many improvements being built on top of it...

Tell us its based on this post: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134109/proposal-for-abuse-proof-skill-system/p1

You think UWE/CDT would take advice (with notional code provided) from a google engineer. There's also great tweaks provided in the thread by other users.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    ...We have a superior skill system coming into play and many improvements being built on top of it...

Tell its based on this post: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134109/proposal-for-abuse-proof-skill-system/p1

You think UWE/CDT would take advice (with notional code provided) from a google engineer. There's also great tweaks provided in the thread by other users.

If you look at the public trello you can open the individual trello cards to see more details/comments by developers. If you look at the skill card:
    https://trello.com/c/9r7Le7Aj/251-implement-new-skill-system

You will see a link to a document describing the system.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Asraniel wrote: »

Tell its based on this post: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134109/proposal-for-abuse-proof-skill-system/p1

If you look at the public trello you can open the individual trello cards to see more details/comments by developers. If you look at the skill card:
    https://trello.com/c/9r7Le7Aj/251-implement-new-skill-system

You will see a link to a document describing the system.

YAY! Seems like you guys are using his paper as a reference
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Obraxis‌
    WHOA! That is seriously cool!! Did you manage to get a nice full server to see how it holds up under late game/load situations?
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    There's nothing to understand. They're having fun, because I said quadratic instead of square.

It actually should be something like:
    image.jpg

0.009525 are 36 px in m. I'd understand you might be confused now. Even I had to lookup rotation matrices again. :)
    There's nothing to understand. They're having fun, because I said quadratic instead of square.

img?i=d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427ec8rdooc2mp&f=HBQTQYZYGY4TQM3EMI3WENBWGUYDCNBXGI2TKNJRHE4TGMTCGA3Aaaaa

0.009525 are 36 px in m. I'd understand you might be confused now. Even I had to lookup rotation matrices again. :)

It's worse now... :p
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    to_do_1mzro9.png

Oh my, we are approaching a singularity.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    to_do_1mzro9.png

Similar thoughts were had in the making of this thread. Wish I thought of that myself to say it.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    Commander bots beg to differ.

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2014
    @CDT
    tumblr_lga79iMOyk1qg4ayxo1_400.gif

edit because this is not an img board :P
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    Ever since one of the recent updates, I've been getting pauses constantly when anything happens. I've had to make a 11gb ramdisk to be able to play NS2 properly.. So much for pre-caching. Luckily I have 16gb of ram.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Turbine wrote: »
    Ever since one of the recent updates, I've been getting pauses constantly when anything happens. I've had to make a 11gb ramdisk to be able to play NS2 properly.. So much for pre-caching. Luckily I have 16gb of ram.

As I posted in the topic you made, 267 should help fix this issue for you, as there are options to select the amount of VRAM on your Graphics card, as well as other options to help.

image.jpg

I'll just let this mathematical battle end. Well done sirs, well done.
    Turbine wrote: »
    I'm still eyeing the Kodiak skins with suspicion
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    We gona get more options then 1 or 2+?
    I mean, if you have a inbetween value then 2+ would make you hitch, and 1 would not make you fully utilise all vram, right?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    We gona get more options then 1 or 2+?
    I mean, if you have a inbetween value then 2+ would make you hitch, and 1 would not make you fully utilise all vram, right?

Options avaible atm are "off", "0.5 GB", "1GB", "1.5 GB" and "2 GB+". (off here means use the old function)

If you wonder why there is not option above 2GB thats basically because there is no map which uses more than 1.7 GB total (loading all textures into the cache).

Beside that there will be a console command to set the exact vram amount the new texture handle should expect to be avaible.

Adding more options is not a big deal, but i think the current ones are enought ;)

BTW i can also confirm that this improves hitching and the way ns2 handles the texture memory alot.