Announcing the Community Development Team - Build 266 and possibly beyond?

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    james888 wrote: »
    When more testing is done please release your findings on new server hardware expectations for good performance for different settings and what not.
    Yeah, it would be quite interesting to hear what type of server hardware it takes for stable lategame tick rate for 18 players or so.

If possible, 18, 20, 22, 24 and all that too. Essentially the more information the better. I am especially interested in bandwidth information.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    When more testing is done please release your findings on new server hardware expectations for good performance for different settings and what not.
    Yeah, it would be quite interesting to hear what type of server hardware it takes for stable lategame tick rate for 18 players or so.

If possible, 18, 20, 22, 24 and all that too. Essentially the more information the better. I am especially interested in bandwidth information.
    We've been discussing this exact thing, even before we tested the changes. ;)

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I still crash very often during mapchange. Think that became more often after Kodiak or the first CDT patch. The standard male and female model are causing consistency check errors. That is known and old, therefor I have no hope that this will be fixed (soon), but...are you looking by any chance into the consistency check algorithm? That all started ever since the check was reworked to work faster. The loading times before that change became horrible, but now I crash 40% of all loading times -_-
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    dePARA wrote: »
    Unsupported servers above the official limit should be blacklisted on hive-stats btw.

And why?

1. It's kinda useless because new players don't go to check their stats or informations on the Hive, at least, not a the beginning.

2. If they're already aware to the "official limit" when they join this kind of server, it's definitely enough.

3. To add these servers (how many are they? not so much) on the blacklist, that means, playing on them doesn't mean anything on the Hive, that means: no increasing of the skill/level and needless to get the Commander badge.

4. Oh, and that also means: "thanks for supporting NS2 with your server but we don't want to see players playing on it so all the stats they can get on your server won't be added on the Hive, thanks anyway, just join a <24 slots server".

So, a simple warning when they join this kind a server, advising the NS2 gameplay wasn't created for a >24 slots server seems good enough.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    At first I was about to agree with @dePARA but then I read @Pelargir response.
    I have to agree with Pelargir here. Warning should be fine. :)

I am however wondering if we shouldnt scrap hive stats for game modded / balance modded servers.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    At first I was about to agree with @dePARA but then I read @Pelargir response.
    I have to agree with Pelargir here. Warning should be fine. :)

I am however wondering if we shouldnt scrap hive stats for game modded / balance modded servers.

Soooon ;) Lets just say hive and the new skill rating function will support all kind of player counts as long as it's the vanilla balance.

And come on that there will be a warning in 267 for >24 slots servers for rookies isn't a secret anymore, right?
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Pelargir wrote: »
    4. Oh, and that also means: "thanks for supporting NS2 with your server but we don't want to see players playing on it so all the stats they can get on your server won't be added on the Hive, thanks anyway, just join a <24 slots server".

You hit the nail right on the head.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Pelargir wrote: »

You hit the nail right on the head.

I know your thoughts.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    The CDT team should adress the annoying "soundbug" if you use an 5.1 evironment.

Wich is:
    You hear your footsteps from that direction you are walking.
    So when you strafe left, you hear the footsteps out of the left speaker for example.

In stereo everything is ok.
    I have a good one as well: You place a mine and the lmg firing sound starts. Crazy game :P
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The CDT team should adress the annoying "soundbug" if you use an 5.1 evironment.

Wich is:
    So when you strafe left, you hear the footsteps out of the left speaker for example.

Just put your headset on the wrong way ;)
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Wich is:

And then hear your footsteps from behind you?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    shonan wrote: »

Wich is:

Yes.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    shonan wrote: »

Wich is:

Yes.

And this solves what?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Keeps you on the edge.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That "bug" has existed for a long time. At least now you don´t hear random sounds popping around your head when healing as a gorgie, like the first time it "manifested".

I think someone explained it cant be fixed unless the remade the sound engine. Something related to when your player model was when you triggered the sound and were you will be when you hear it.

Sounds in surround setups worked perfectly in beta, but after release it was broken and never fixed. You adapt and try to forget it exists, but its still there.....
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Walsa wrote: »
    I think someone explained it cant be fixed unless the remade the sound engine. .

Ive heard that one before
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Walsa wrote: »
    I think someone explained it cant be fixed unless the remade the sound engine. .

Ive heard that one before

Shhhh we don't talk about 'the steam browser incident'!
    That was just a test for the skill of the community. We passed and now we have the CDT!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Granted it might be true, but its kinda hard to take statements like "sounds that apparently once worked will forever be screwed because of the engine" at face value.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited July 2014
    While we're doing things the CDT "should do"; I don't know if this has been reported before, I've never seen it reported but there's a minor problem with the female marine animations. In first person view the rifle animation is "broken". Maybe it's more than the rifle animation, and while all animation differences are noticeably worse, only the rifle is very noticeable. Just do a quick comparison with the default animations and you'll find the weapons is moving as expected while firing, but the female marine animation has no push-back, it just sort of sways awkwardly. It's also harder to see your ammo count while running but really, it's only the rifle firing that's the most major out of these rather minor animation problems... I'm pretty certain it's been this way ever since the first release but I never bothered to post about before, there were always far more important things to do.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    lwf wrote: »
    While we're doing things the CDT "should do"; I don't know if this has been reported before, I've never seen it reported but there's a minor problem with the female marine animations. In first person view the rifle animation is "broken". Maybe it's more than the rifle animation, and while all animation differences are noticeably worse, only the rifle is very noticeable. Just do a quick comparison with the default animations and you'll find the weapons is moving as expected while firing, but the female marine animation has no push-back, it just sort of sways awkwardly. It's also harder to see your ammo count while running but really, it's only the rifle firing that's the most major out of these rather minor animation problems... I'm pretty certain it's been this way ever since the first release but I never bothered to post about before.

We already know. If it were just the recoil animation that would be one thing, but the hand holding the rifle is also screwed up. The mesh for all female weapons use the deluxe mesh, meaning the straps and the texture don't match. Very obvious.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The patch. It comes. No more fixes to be tested, only fixes confirmed.

ALL HAIL THE CDT

(seriously, thanks guys (and gals))
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Benson wrote: »
    The patch. It comes. No more fixes to be tested, only fixes confirmed.

ALL HAIL THE CDT

(seriously, thanks guys (and gals))

I saw that just now, quite awesome. I wonder when the patch may launch.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    so according to trello, b267 seems kinda ready for quite a while now. i understand that you don't want to give an exact release time and day, but explaining which steps are still to be done (e.g. writing changelog, submitting to steam?) could help us to estimate it :)

and yes, many thanks for your dedication. you guys are awesome!
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Even if the items are done it still needs final testing and solving the new bugs that come up.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    I just wanted to add that "Confirmed Fixes" at Trello means that those tickets passed the Beta state and that we currently QAing the possible RC 276 build ;)

So just be patient for a little more while we make sure 267 is as perfect as it should be :D

Meanwhile enjoy Matsos tech posts about the new engine features.

Thanks for your support :)
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    thanks for the info :) and i agree, please take your time. i was merely curious :)