Announcing the Community Development Team - Build 266 and possibly beyond?

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @MuckyMcFly ill anchor you if you anchor me!
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ohh I remember something thats really confusing: Sometimes if you move through PG you don't get phased to the next portal but come out in the same room.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    ANNOUNCING THE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TEAM - BUILD 266 AND POSSIBLY BEYOND?

ANNOUNCING THE COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TEAM - PLEASE TELL US EVERYTHING WRONG WITH THIS GAME AND WE'LL FIX IT BY NEXT PATCH, PROMISE

Fixed :P
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Just gotta make sure you have the entire fleet of YO regs on your friends list so you've always go an anchor to join from :P

Or just add the server to your steam favorites ...
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Just gotta make sure you have the entire fleet of YO regs on your friends list so you've always go an anchor to join from :P

Nooo now i'll never have any friends :((
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Doesn't work: "Server not responding".

• WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    Doesn't work: "Server not responding".

Add 1 to the port number, the port is after the colon " : "
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    that has to be one of the best gorge pics yet!
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The list of thing to be tested.....it grows tantilizingly smaller.

Also, will there be details on the whip changes in the clogcast? (mostly wanna know if grenade smack is comming back :D)

P.S. Very glad to see all those engine improvements got in for this patch!
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Benson wrote: »
    The list of thing to be tested.....it grows tantilizingly smaller.

Also, will there be details on the whip changes in the clogcast? (mostly wanna know if grenade smack is comming back :D)

P.S. Very glad to see all those engine improvements got in for this patch!

Grenade smack is never ever coming back. It's simplifying Whips.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    so is the editor stuff gonna make the cut? are you guys just saving that for last?
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @SamusDroid‌

Thanks for the confirmation :)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    kmg wrote: »
    so is the editor stuff gonna make the cut? are you guys just saving that for last?

No it's not. We have been in lockdown for like 2 weeks now
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    No grenade whip? I really hope the changes buff them at least. They're hardly useful out of 6v6 n is pricey even then. Are gls getting any changes?
    edited July 2014
    RapGod wrote: »
    No grenade whip? I really hope the changes buff them at least. They're hardly useful out of 6v6 n is pricey even then. Are gls getting any changes?

If we were to make balance changes, you would see it in Trello.
    edited July 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Force me to go to trello... how dare you :p I shall take another gander.

Looked, didn't find it, so I guess that's a 'no' or 'not in the near future'. Maybe my iPad is having issues with the website and i can't view everything...
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Has anyone looked, or is anyone looking, into the invalid collision rep error message that occurs very frequently (coinciding with bites-that-should-have-hit missing and so on)?

I don't know if that comes under any of the things on Trello - I looked through but couldn't find it there.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members

Looked, didn't find it, so I guess that's a 'no' or 'not in the near future'. Maybe my iPad is having issues with the website and i can't view everything...

not really sure what you're looking for. this is the only whip-related change listed:

https://trello.com/c/Dr3GJfz6/336-bug-fix-whips-patch-5947

in theory it should improve viability of whips.
    kmg wrote: »

not really sure what you're looking for. this is the only whip-related change listed:

https://trello.com/c/Dr3GJfz6/336-bug-fix-whips-patch-5947

in theory it should improve viability of whips.

I was talking about gl changes, I understand the whip is being reworked but no grenade knock-back.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Here's another question for the oh so awesome CDT guys. Is there any chance of refining and integrating the Pregame Plus mod into the official game?

I think it's not only a wonderful tool for rookies to practice with lifeforms, jetpacks, weapons, etc. It also helps alleviate the boredom of waiting for people to join teams. (it also makes seeding servers much more enjoyable)

@Benson I'm sure once the whip code has been cleaned up, if there is enough community support maybe a modder will try to implement it in an un-broken and fun way. If that's possible at all, who knows where it could lead from there. As with any feature! Right, @SamusDroid‌ ?
    edited July 2014
    @Benson I'm sure once the whip code has been cleaned up, if there is enough community support maybe a modder will try to implement it in an un-broken and fun way. If that's possible at all, who knows where it could lead from there. As with any feature! Right, @SamusDroid‌ ?

Whipping grenades back will never work without engine changes
    MoFo wrote: »
    Here's another question for the oh so awesome CDT guys. Is there any chance of refining and integrating the Pregame Plus mod into the official game?

I think it's not only a wonderful tool for rookies to practice with lifeforms, jetpacks, weapons, etc. It also helps alleviate the boredom of waiting for people to join teams. (it also makes seeding servers much more enjoyable)
    The chance of this happening is very very small.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    matso wrote: »
    The result will slap you silly.
    Quoted for emphasis. The reason whips have been lackluster and ineffective in the last few live builds isn't so much that they're under tuned but rather that they were almost completely broken. We couldn't get the whip fixes in on time for 266, but now that they're working much better they will definitely mess you up if you don't pay attention.

There's a number of technical changes that we expect to affect balance generally in 267, and it's something we're going to be keeping a very close eye on for 268. The whip changes are the most obvious, but there are others.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Quoted for emphasis. The reason whips have been lackluster and ineffective in the last few live builds isn't so much that they're under tuned but rather that they were almost completely broken. We couldn't get the whip fixes in on time for 266, but now that they're working much better they will definitely mess you up if you don't pay attention.

There's a number of technical changes that we expect to affect balance generally in 267, and it's something we're going to be keeping a very close eye on for 268. The whip changes are the most obvious, but there are others.

Is it multithreaded and server rate increasing performance and perceived smoothness making marines OP?!?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    james888 wrote: »
    Narfwak wrote: »

Is it multithreaded and server rate increasing performance and perceived smoothness making marines OP?!?
    Needs more testing, but possibly. You definitely don't get to trick yourself into thinking you escaped while dying around corners anymore. We haven't done enough testing yet, and what we have done is on a rather powerful machine with a lot of available bandwidth.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    When more testing is done please release your findings on new server hardware expectations for good performance for different settings and what not.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    james888 wrote: »
    When more testing is done please release your findings on new server hardware expectations for good performance for different settings and what not.
    Yeah, it would be quite interesting to hear what type of server hardware it takes for stable lategame tick rate for 18 players or so.