Dwarf Fortress v.40 now available

AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
Being a fresh release, it's very buggy. Beware!
Fortress mode isn't too different apart from the bugs; trees are big and pretty now, forts can be "retired" to leave them unsupervised but still running, your liaison will tell you things about the outside world, and creatures are drawn from their civ's population, meaning the goblin sieges will eventually run out of soldiers. Nice.

Adventure mode is where it's really at though. Talking, combat, sneaking have all been reworked to some extent. You can join a group and make a difference, perhaps freeing a town from goblin oppression, or be a town guard and fight off invaders... or create your own group and claim a place as your own. Even one of your own forts! Or a ruin previously inhabited by a dragon!

For new players, tools like Dwarf Therapist or the Lazy Newb Pack have not yet been updated, and since there'll be a series of quick bugfix releases shortly there'll be some turbulence there. Combined with the bugs, I recommend trying the old version if you're interested but intimidated. StoneSense, the isometric overlay thingie can now run on top of the game rather than alongside it...

...Which means you can play Dwarf Fortress like this:
792c2.png
It's included in the Lazy Newb Pack.

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Wait, dwarf fortress in isometric? I didn't even know that was possible!

...still, if they are not reworking the interface, I will keep not playing it.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Might I tempt you with this?
    1KWaPxk.png
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2014
    I really want to try this game one day. Then I remember I also want time to play any other game. Time to wait for 1.0 in 2020 I guess :D
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    2020? That's rather optimistic.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    It was inevitable.