Where did your nickname come from?

2»

Comments

• StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Back in 1997-98, I registered for an account at MSN Gaming Zone (remember that?) to play Age of Empires online. I watched lots of Pokémon back then, and one of my favorites was Scyther. I read in a magazine that its "beta" name (so to speak) was Striker.

I tried to register that. No good, already taken.
    The site suggested me, among other things, StrikerX. Also taken. (Why would they suggest a name that is already taken?)
    The next set of suggestions included StrikerX3. Accepted. And that's been my gamertag since then.

Except when I'm smurfing, of course.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Was in some chatroom. I had been playing a lot of Black & White, so I picked the nick "Alignment: Evil" (yeah...). Then someone felt that was too long to type out, and voila. I guess it helped to stick this time because it's vaguely similar to my real name.

Before that I was "The Bastardous Killer" when playing TFC, or... "Silver Snake"(/Dragon) outside of video games. Ugh.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    My name was blessed upon me by The Gorgeous One.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @ BoRRiS, +1 for being a karma whore ;-) Its nice to know where ppl's name come from. Always a nice little story.
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    Obvious Metal Gear Solid reference, here.

I grew up with a lot of Nintendo games: Mario, Zelda, and the like. Pokemon too. One time, I went to a neighbour's house and he had a Playstation 1 with MGS. I had never seen any game remotely like that that, and it blew my f*****g mind! So I was like "Hmm... I gots to be original, what other animal starts with an S... I know!"
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obvious Metal Gear Solid reference, here.

I grew up with a lot of Nintendo games: Mario, Zelda, and the like. Pokemon too. One time, I went to a neighbour's house and he had a Playstation 1 with MGS. I had never seen any game remotely like that that, and it blew my f*****g mind! So I was like "Hmm... I gots to be original, what other animal starts with an S... I know!"

SolidSloth
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    I had a ridiculously long screen name on a now defunct message board that allowed ridiculously long screen names. Someone came up with an abbreviation; it stuck.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    I got my nickname when i was 12 i read a lot of commic books and my favorite was always Carnage from Marvel, i dont know why? he was deadly and funny same time. I played a lot of tournaments starting Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake and NS. Its not very oryginal but i like to stick to it. A lot of ppl recognize me thx to it from the past days.
  • DerAnKoDerAnKo Hamburg Join Date: 2014-03-13 Member: 194705Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Hey ho...
    My Nick comes from "Anfassen Kostet" (German for something like touching costs :p)
    Got that nick from the game Team Fortress Classic where every f...ing spy knifed me :D
    And thats now...erm...about 12 years now :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    About 10 years ago I played FEAR combat, as the first ever FPS game I got really involved in. My handle on that was Tanuki / MeatMachine, and when the time came to move on over to CS:S MeatMachine was the handle that stuck.

I think the intention of the name was to get people thinking about the machinistic/organic duality of life, the universe and everything.

But I think most people get to know me before asking and assume its something to do with sex. So immature!
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    Not really how it came to be but the reason i stuck by it:

youtube.com/watch?v=bvzytGH4Aq8

Fixed youtube -Kouji
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2014
    Ford Prefect - froodiest character of the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (and I'm talking about the books here). Ford_Prefect was usually taken, so I switched to F0rd_Prefect and later shortened it to F0rdPrefect.

Vetinari - Lord Vetinari, again a character from a (series of) book(s) - the Discworld series; it's about a disc-shaped (hence the name), fictional (duh) world which is a satire and parody of pretty much everything, and home of many puns. He's a Magnificent Bastard (see third example here) and ruler of the city Ankh-Morpork. And yes, he has his own wikipedia article, because he's that awesome.

Well, I chose the first name when I needed a name for my steam account (and was reading the Discworld books) and the second when I decided I shouldn't be recognizable by one name everywhere. In the end I stuck to those two names, though; F0rdPrefect mostly for the internet and Vetinari for gaming.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Cheat code (RacerX) for a game I played in the 90s.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    I was working in a LAN centre from 1998, and although I had been gaming for a while, I hadn't been online gaming. I started off by using a reference to Jim Morrison, and was known as LizardKing.

I got bored and wanted something more 'me' so for a short time I used the name of my band (as it was then), Soul Refuge. I decided it was probably not a good idea to use the band name. So I switched back to LizardKing.

I used to play with a gamer called TheFLC in NS1, and as a tribute I called myself TheFLK for a short while (The Funky Lizard King). That lasted a couple of weeks before getting bored.

I was trying to think of a name based on the song 'Riders on the Storm', and used StormRider for a bit, before deciding that I really wanted something with a bit more Soul in it, and thus became Soul Rider. I registered with Soul Rider on these forums, before the dreaded update came and they inserted underscores in the names of everyone who had a space in it.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    1970's B-movie. Highly recommended even today as an unintentional parody of the very subject being discussed. I had many throwaway nicks; this just sort of stuck because I used it as my forum name for rage3D and then natural-selection.org. Too late to change it for something more interesting now.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE
  • ZavaroZavaro Tucson, Arizona Join Date: 2005-02-14 Member: 41174Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I spent months before Star Wars Galaxies was released coming up with a name. Great artists steal. Avaro is a seedy character in the Star Wars universe (or, I suppose was, at this point).

I played as Zavaro on Intrepid for one or two years until I didn't have the time nor energy to play anymore, the love had faded, and I couldn't devote such a huge amount of time to one game especially with all the releases around 2003-2004 and whatnot. I moved on to Natural Selection around 3.0b4 (which I had been playing off and on since 1.04) and a number of other mods after that point.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Some great responses guys, keep it up :)
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Apparently my post managed to annoy "tfsog" so much that he/she/it registed on the forum simply to disagree with my post and never post or do anything else again. I bet he's one of those malthusian, population bomb asshats who believe population growth is exponential (it isn't, has barely been linear for the last 60 years and we recently passed "peak child"). Erlich and those other clowns said it was too late to defuse the bomb, and that we should just let a billion people starve to death. 40 years later and the world is better fed than ever; in spite of the useless vampirical banking system, in spite of criminally stupid biofuels, in spite of more meat than ever, in spite of backwards "organic" farming using more land, fuel and water, in spite of opposition to GM where it is needed the most and without any massive increase in land under the plow.

Despite all the whining about desertification, the world is greening (it's easily measurable by satellite), probably due to CO2 fertilization.

The only major environmental threat that I can see is green energy and it's unholy alliance with coal and gas power against the only real sustainable source of energy (nuclear fission and nuclear fusion).