Overview.exe - Custom texture rendering

UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
hi,

I use custom textures and the more i use it the more Overview.exe can't open them when rendering the minimap.

I'm using it from the editor with a batch in external tools.
Something like that:
"copy %1 ns2\maps /Y
Overview.exe %1 ns2"

I believe it's a simple "path" issue. How (and where) can i specify the paths needed to render the minimap properly ?

I couldn't find any solution in the forums.

TIA

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    That's because you have to run editor through launchpad. And there is little reason to use the batch commands when builder does everything you need it to
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    That's because you have to run editor through launchpad. And there is little reason to use the batch commands when builder does everything you need it to

I notice that a lot of textures just don't seem to show up on the map anyways, even built-in textures. On ns2_temple, for example, that big pile of debris I have on the south side of the map is just completely invisible on the overview, but it's not invisible due to CommanderInvisible or anything like that.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    SamusDroid wrote: »

I do for the editor. I run the builder from launchpad too.

I patched the builder config file to remove the "<working_dir>${game_dir}</working_dir>" line in order for the builder to run Overview.exe. Otherwise it just don't => "c:\program file is not a internal ..."

Whatever the method it just doesn't render the custom texture in the Minimap.

Pls track it down.
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    do you have your textures in C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\materials\textures_folder name

make sure the you have typed the right paths in the .material file

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    =Mr.P= wrote: »
    do you have your textures in C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\materials\textures_folder name

make sure the you have typed the right paths in the .material file

Nope

That's the point. It apparently looks in the default directories... not the mod/map directory.
    Builder.exe would seem useless if we were "working" in the default dirs and have all the files there.

It suggest to copy these texture files in the default dirs which is:
    -not a clean way to work
    -subject to many problems like versionning of texture (yes it changes sometimes, especially with me)

I believe you probably missed something.

• =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    it is working here, i dont use the launchpad i do my mini map whit a ,bat file

code
    cd "C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2"
    overview.exe "c:\steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\maps\ns2_map_name.level" "c:\steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2"

i also switch out the editor_setup if i use special tools like Exta entities mod
    =Mr.P= wrote: »
    it is working here, i dont use the launchpad i do my mini map whit a ,bat file

code
    cd "C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Natural Selection 2"
    overview.exe "c:\steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\maps\ns2_map_name.level" "c:\steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2"

i also switch out the editor_setup if i use special tools like Extra entities mod

When i use Overview.exe from "Tools/External tool" (see above) it makes a copy of the file in the map folder and then proceed. Same results (as described above).