Improving the Commander experience

ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
Here's a couple of suggestions. Please discuss and add your own if you have more ideas.

General:
- Pressing the hotkey of a selected structure shouldn't center the view on that structure, unless the hotkey was double tapped. The way it works in all other RTSes. Right now it causes the view to accidentally jump around, which is very frustrating.

Marines:
- Hotkey to select the nearest MAC. Same as alien comm has for drifters.

Aliens:
- There is a bug with the circular cyst proximity indicator. Sometimes the nearby cyst will explode even if you place the next one just outside the circle. Please fix this, and also maybe remove the timeout for replacing the exploded cyst, when it's not killed by a marine, as a simple misclick can delay infestation spread by a critical amount, especially in the early game.
- Shift shouldn't echo unbuilt structures, if there are built ones of the same type available.
- Remove movement waypoints from structures after they have been echoed. Sometimes you for example set a crag to move closer to a shift, so you can echo it to where it's needed. Some time later you see the same crag on a pilgrimage back to the shift from the other side of the map.

Now that the CDT is at the helm, we'll hopefully see at least some of this long-awaited stuff implemented.

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Reubot wrote: »
    General:
    - Pressing the hotkey of a selected structure shouldn't center the view on that structure, unless the hotkey was double tapped. The way it works in all other RTSes. Right now it causes the view to accidentally jump around, which is very frustrating.

I assume you mean if you hotkey something with ctrl + 1, ctrl + 2 etc?
    If so, this is already the case. Press once to have it selected, press it again while selected to centre it in your view.

I agree with all the other stuff though.

• ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    Sorry, the explanation was a bit ambiguous. What I mean is, the view should ONLY center to the structure when you double-tap the hotkey.

Here's an example why the current behaviour is bad:

Sometimes you for example have the arms lab selected while viewing another part of the map. You then forget that you have it selected, and start an upgrade by muscle memory (4+a for example). Suddenly the view jumps to your base, and at the same time your marines are engaged by a bunch of skulks and die due to lack of medpacks.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Ah I think I see what you mean. I like the way it is currently though, but I can see the frustration in it not making a big enough deal that you have it selected.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Remove movement waypoints from structures after they have been echoed. Sometimes you for example set a crag to move closer to a shift, so you can echo it to where it's needed. Some time later you see the same crag on a pilgrimage back to the shift from the other side of the map.
    Totally agree with this one (and the others). Though its often my "echo shift" that runs away somewhere.
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    Wow ok :D Thanks!

I think I would also remove the drifter's waypoint from an unbuilt structure that gets echoed, to avoid the usually fatal excursions to the enemy territory.

Oh and maybe make the "base power node under attack" warning a little more prominent? ;)

That's all I can think of now. Thanks for paying attention to these issues.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - Shift shouldn't echo unbuilt structures, if there are built ones of the same type available.
    Maybe it could also use the one with the highest maturity first? Should be what you want to do 99% of the time.

- Remove movement waypoints from structures after they have been echoed. Sometimes you for example set a crag to move closer to a shift, so you can echo it to where it's needed. Some time later you see the same crag on a pilgrimage back to the shift from the other side of the map.
    Wow - I never realized it retained waypoints this way. That sure explains a "wtf?!" moment I once had after echo'ing :D
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I should have guessed you already though of that ^^ Nice.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    WD to the CDT for the fast response. I only wish UWE would have came clean earlier about not being able to implement Quality of Life improvements due to a lack of personnel. I would have been cool with that, we do know how hard they work, and how small the studio is. This is not a bitter rant, just an observation. Anyway, all is good now the CDT has taken over and am doing a really good job in responding to feed back.

Thank you so much.
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    A cross post from the NS2+ thread:
    Mouse wrote: »
    It'd be wonderful if comms were shown the health bar of hives/CCs that are under attack, like the players are.
    WD to the CDT for the fast response. I only wish UWE would have came clean earlier about not being able to implement Quality of Life improvements due to a lack of personnel. I would have been cool with that, we do know how hard they work, and how small the studio is. This is not a bitter rant, just an observation. Anyway, all is good now the CDT has taken over and am doing a really good job in responding to feed back.

Thank you so much.

@Cannon_FodderAUS‌ It wasn't due to lack of personnel.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts

Thank you so much.

All someone had to do was make this thread months and months ago and it would have been in. CDT doesn't have anything to do with people not reporting requests and bugs. I'd have been happy to do this the second someone reported it months ago
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    While we are at it, some other suggestions I could think of:

- Make the spacebar key only react to time-critical messages like "marine under attack / needs medpack / ammo" + maybe base power / structures under attack ( I think @Mendasp wanted to look into this)
    - Differenciate "important" and "not so important" structure under attack warnings - RTs getting attacked (not so important) have the same notification as Base power being attacked
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2014
    How about make it so when I give a drifter a waypoint, it doesn't occaisionally (5% of the time?) decide to actually set the waypoint somewhere completely different.

"Comm why did you send the drifter into marine start"

"GODDAMNIT DRIFTERS YOU LITTLE SHITS DO WHAT I SAY"
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    - Make the spacebar key only react to time-critical messages like "marine under attack / needs medpack / ammo" + maybe base power / structures under attack ( I think @Mendasp wanted to look into this)
    You mean for Marines only right? I'm fine with it reacting to "Request Myst / Harvester".
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    How about make it so when I give a drifter a waypoint, it doesn't occaisionally (5% of the time?) decide to actually set the waypoint somewhere completely different.

In my experience this usually happens due to the drifter's path being blocked by a structure. So maybe we could re-phrase your suggestion to:
    - Make drifters ignore structures (let them fly over them)

The same thing happens to MACs, ARCs and alien movable structures (not sure about whips tho).

@_INTER_‌ Yes, I was only talking about the marine comm side on my earlier points

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    CmdrKeen wrote: »
    In my experience this usually happens due to the drifter's path being blocked by a structure. So maybe we could re-phrase your suggestion to:
    - Make drifters ignore structures (let them fly over them)

The only problem I see with that is, it can be abused by the commander to make the drifter warp up and down.

P.S. - learn to use your damn hotkeys and that Spacebar thing isn't a problem anymore xD
    edited June 2014
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    P.S. - learn to use your damn hotkeys and that Spacebar thing isn't a problem anymore xD

1. You can't expect everyone to learn medding with hotkeys
    2. Do hotkeyed marines blink when med / ammo / order is requested? If not, that would be a big reason why using them isnt viable for me.
    3. What about pubs, do you hotkey 10 marines?

Also hitting the spacebar + clicking older notifications still seems much faster for me: (I hear the sound, press space bar, I'm there) VS (I see hotkeyed marine blink / hear sound, need to look what number it is, need to find number key on keyboard, press it once (or twice to jump the viewport?, I'm there).
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Thank you so much.

All someone had to do was make this thread months and months ago and it would have been in. CDT doesn't have anything to do with people not reporting requests and bugs. I'd have been happy to do this the second someone reported it months ago

I think there was alot of requests made, but people got frustrated when nothing happened. Priority then was content and optimization, so many people felt they were not listened to. Now that the CDT has taken over, more priority has been given to quality of life improvements, and you guys are always on the forums, so everyone feels much better about getting responses to feedback. I only wish there was a way I can give you guys some money or support other than buying another copy of NS2.
    Once again, Cheers CDT and thank you for everything so far (really appreciate it).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Thank you so much.

I think there was alot of requests made, but people got frustrated when nothing happened. Priority then was content and optimization, so many people felt they were not listened to. Now that the CDT has taken over, more priority has been given to quality of life improvements, and you guys are always on the forums, so everyone feels much better about getting responses to feedback. I only wish there was a way I can give you guys some money or support other than buying another copy of NS2.
    Once again, Cheers CDT and thank you for everything so far (really appreciate it).

I, too, feel like quality of life improvements have generally been neglected by UWE, no matter how many months before. It's part of the reason why they got so much hate sometimes in the first place.