Should I buy this game?

LunSeiLunSei Tarnax IV Join Date: 2014-06-21 Member: 196674Members
Hello.

I was looking for videogames that featured playable non-human creatures. And because of it, this game definitely caught my attention. As a fortunate coincidence, it's also on discount now!

I loved playing Alien vs Predator 2, and I rather enjoyed Primal Carnage (even tho it was a little repetitive). I'm assuming this game is like either of those two games?

I have another question: I read a lot of talk about this game being dead. If I buy it now, would I risk just not finding enough players? Be honest.

Comments

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    Ok about the playercount:

NS2 has a really steep learning curve which makes it pretty bad to get casual gamers sticked to it. That plus that it had alot perf issues in the past caused that the total players never really raised.

But even as ns2 is now down to a highpeak of 500-800 players playing the same time, it is not dead because there are at least 300 playing ppl all around the world 24/7 for at least a few month now.

So yes ns2 doesn't have alot players but a pretty stable number of "hardcore" player sticking to it.

Also with a look onto the next upcoming patches i would say ns2 is not dead and won't be dead for at least the next 5-6 month.

What happens after that i can't tell you, depends mostly on how many new player stick to the game after this sale.

So you should not fear about the playercount, the real deal is here are you ready to battle the learning curve and to play a game that needs you to learn at least 100h until you have mastered one aspect of it.

So all in all the playercount is not the real thing you should worry about. PPl allready started to call ns2 dead after the beta as we didn't got any peaks above 1,5k.

Imho ns2 is the kind of game you either love and stick over 1k hours to it or the game you play once a few hours and then never again.

So it's up to you do you risk the 5$ to find out if ns2 fits to you ;)
  • LunSeiLunSei Tarnax IV Join Date: 2014-06-21 Member: 196674Members
    Well, I'm really intrigued by this game, and I'm really disappointed I had never heard of it until today. I wish I knew about this game when it was new and had more players. I guess for a fresh players-filled experience I should wait Natural Selection 3.

I don't think I mind a steep learning curve: I'm used to fighting games, where you'll get kicked down times and times again, especially when it's an old game and only pro players still play it... and it's up to you to insist until you learn.

I do mind however, a ghost-game with too few players to get good matches. This is my main worry.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @LunSei‌ It's not a ghost game and for that price I think you can take the risk. It's one of the best games ever in my opinion so just get it. Play the short tutorial and communicate with your team mates and you will do fine. Don't be afraid to let them know you are a rookie.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    when you personal have the feeling you are stuck or don't learn fast enough, remember you have always people around willing to help you getting better and have awesome experiences. most of the guys on this forum are like this
    edited June 2014
    Well, after seeing this game has a playable, non-sexualized female marine , I must say I'm even more tempted to buy this! As a woman, it's often rare to find videogames that remember it's not only boys that play videogames... and it's even more rare to find a fps which remembers that.

That's it, I'm going to sleep right now but I'll buy this game tomorrow morning.

I have however one last concern: I've looked around and apparently this game is heavy on system requirements, as they're actually worse than what the minimum requirements claim. Is that true? I've got an Intel Core 4 cpu 3.07 GHz with 4 mb of ram, with a NVidia GeForce 9500.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    LunSei wrote: »
    Well, after seeing this game has a playable, non-sexualized female marine , I must say I'm even more tempted to buy this! As a woman, it's often rare to find videogames that remember it's not only boys that play videogames... and it's even more rare to find a fps which remembers that.

That's it, I'm going to sleep right now but I'll buy this game tomorrow morning.

I have however one last concern: I've looked around and apparently this game is heavy on system requirements, as they're actually worse than what the minimum requirements claim. Is that true? I've got an Intel Core 4 cpu 3.07 GHz with 4 mb of ram, with a NVidia GeForce 9500.

I would say the ns2 community is one of the female friendlist i met since along time due to the fact that the avg ns2 player is pretty old (20-40) and some female members are quiet important for this community.

Sadly i have to tell you that ns2 won't run well (around 10-40 fps if at all ) with your pc as your gpu ( has only 512 MB GRam ) and is abit too slow.

But i have a extra steam account with only ns2 so if you are interessted pm me and i will give you the login for it so you can test ns2 before buying it ;)
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I think in the next build the performacne should be better. but I have no idea if this also applies when the GPU is the bottleneck
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    most female players tend to stick with gorges, although a couple of them are really good players in all aspects
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wouldnt expect any great improvement in performance. NS2 needs power-pcs.
    If you have money: upgrade, the game is worth it (and you'll need to upgrade some time anyway).
    Take ghoul up on his offer 1st, maybe it'll run well enough for a proper intro.
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    One of the best american players is a female and is also with the community development team, creating new content for the game. Major part of this community is rookie friendly, hope you enjoy the game as much as we do ;) There's also an official twitch.tv/naturalselection2 with recorded matches and other stuff you can check out
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is one benefit to having a small player count. All that is left is the serious players, where you usually only find good games.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I would say the ns2 community is one of the female friendlist i met since along time due to the fact that the avg ns2 player is pretty old (20-40) and some female members are quiet important for this community.

That's legitimate. I've recently begun playing CS:GO and I realize that I've been absolutely spoiled by how good NS2's community really is.

@LunSei - You should buy the game. I'm a woman, too. The community is really pretty great. There are absolutely some creeps and some jerks, but for the most part the community is pretty great. PM me if you want to add me on steam!
    I would appreciate GoulofGSG9's offer to test out the game, since it looks like there's no demo or benchmark so I can see how the game runs. Would shuck if I buy the game and then can't play it, since reading the comments here it seems it's true that the system requirements are heavy. :(

Oh man, I REALLY hope I can run this game, even on low settings!
  • JavertJavert Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15954Members
    I'm playing on a Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of RAM on a GeForce GT640. Turn off the effects, close background apps, and it's very playable.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    We do have some oddballs in this here community, but it's mostly mild mannered and heck there is even learning to be had for newbies willing to learn the ropes. Out of most communities, this is the most helpful one I've seen... Apart from the random toxic ball of hate (people with a bad day I hope, otherwise I'm kinda worried for them :D)

If you're on the iCores, things tend to be quite good, just gotta play around with the settings a bit... And whatever you do, turn off that darn Ambient Occlusion... I think it feeds on the tears of graphics processors :-?
    So, I can run this game at, say, mid-settings?
    I know lack of frame-rate lag is important in any fps...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    @LunSei NS2 is now on a flash sale on steam here for the next few hours http://t.co/mrptn85cVQ . It's about 3-4 euros now. If you turn down all effects and resolution, you might be playable. If your PC is 6-8 years old however, you might have a problem.
    Very well! I bought the game. I can play it at mid-settings. If someone wanna add me on Steam, my id is lun_sei

My only problem: I can't seem to be able to fly with the flying alien species? I keep pressing spacebar but I feel like a fledgling who can't take off.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    My only problem: I can't seem to be able to fly with the flying alien species? I keep pressing spacebar but I feel like a fledgling who can't take off.
    You might have figured it out already but for the Lerk hitting spacebar is like a single wing flap. So press and release space fast a couple of times to gain height and speed, then you can stay on spacebar to glide.

Still have some issues flying properly, but I guess all I need is practice.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    One can fly, but to fly well requires practice. Here is a decent video on how to lerk well.

If personally found fader harder to understand when I started, that is if you have tried the fade yet.
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    most female players tend to stick with gorges, although a couple of them are really good players in all aspects

Wut? Liar.

In addition to Bitey's tutorial

Takes awhile to get used to the movement.
    Thanks!! I still can't figure so many things out. I think I'll open a thread...