Will Combat kill off NS2 ?

2»

Comments

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    I do love CoD kiddies (to nom nom nom that is). Did that sound right??
    Any promotion for NS2 is gold imho. This game could do with more love. Group hug all around.

PS. vets, don't play with your food.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    What are you smoking? Can I have some?

In what world does a Game Developer say to it's active playerbase, btw, you shouldn't be playing our game, you should be playing someone else's?

This is naiveté of the highest level. It is up to UWE, the CDT, and NS2's current playerbase to ensure NS2 survives and grows.

If the Combat team do as you ask, their own game and future games will be put at Jeopardy. From a business perspective, you are asking the combat team to actively encourage a reduction in their playerbase to help NS2, hahaha. Quite possibly one of the most idiotic fanboy comments I have ever heard. Please don't go into business ISE, you may struggle to survive if you advocate giving all your customers away.

Thank you for providing your point in a fantastically negative and theatrical way. I can think of plenty of ways you could have done so without being toxic about it.

Anyways, lets apply your point of view shall we? I suppose UWE shouldn't have given Faultline Games the IP to build NS2 as a Standalone, as that may perhaps have the same affect by splitting an already small community.

But I digress, regardless of any of our point of view. Combat will exist, from what I've seen in it, it looks pretty fun, and I'm sure it will do well to cater to it's player base.

*My post here represents me as a player of this game and does not represent the opinions of any other groups or members thereof to whom I am affiliated with.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I am sorry for the tone. I am dealing with a local council who are making me homeless because of a stupid bylaw they have, and my frustration spilled over into the post. However the point still stands.

UWE is a business, they require money. They are publishing Combat. Ultimately as a business, they care about income. Income isn't affected if everyone stops playing NS2 tomorrow, as long as everyone goes out and buys Combat and Subnautica. NS2 is not a viable income source now. NS2 is only ever going to be a niche game. UWE make money from Combat sales, and the more they make, the more chance they will publish other developers in the future.

Combat appeals to gamers who don't want all the complication of NS2, which is the vast majority of todays gamer.

• bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    combat is a great way to warm up aim or do some mindless shooting with friends - to dismiss combat as kiddy or frustrating is missing the point of what it's about. You don't play DM in any other game for the strategy...

If anything, combat should be promoted as a stepping stone for vanilla NS2. Get people interested in the game via a more friendly gamemode like combat, introduce them to the lifeforms, the weapons, the movement. Then help them transition to NS2 if they are looking for a more harder/more rewarding game mode. There you go, marketing done for you. 2ez ;)
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I am sorry for the tone. I am dealing with a local council who are making me homeless because of a stupid bylaw they have, and my frustration spilled over into the post. However the point still stands.

UWE is a business, they require money. They are publishing Combat. Ultimately as a business, they care about income. Income isn't affected if everyone stops playing NS2 tomorrow, as long as everyone goes out and buys Combat and Subnautica. NS2 is not a viable income source now. NS2 is only ever going to be a niche game. UWE make money from Combat sales, and the more they make, the more chance they will publish other developers in the future.

Combat appeals to gamers who don't want all the complication of NS2, which is the vast majority of todays gamer.

My goodness, that sounds terrible, I hope you come out of that in one piece.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    combat mod has few servers, now i understand it is only a mod but i believe the general thought when purchasing ns2 was to play a strategy fps hybrid which ns2 is and combat isnt. Its fun as a distraction but a standalone game would appeal to a different audience
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    If anything I'm worried combat will die as quickly as NS2.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    I find it saddening we're living with this fear about mods splitting up the community. There is a much bigger picture than just the Combat splitoff into standalone here, I'm afraid... We're kinda stuck in a downwards spiral this way. instead of the glory days of Half-Life (GoldSrc) and it's mods that made it greater...

I would prefer NS2 (vanilla), Combat, Classic, Last Stand, the Faded, Marine vs Marine, Gorge Race, Skulks with Shotguns etc... living in the same browser, even if I don't play each mod. I mean whenever I play TF2 for funzies, I tend to hop servers going from game mode to game mode and it's all so easy with the click of a button while fiddling with server filters. Something that is now missing between combat and NS2... I don't know if that is shooting yourself in the foot or...

But captain, we don't have the manpower to sustain all those mods and we're on a relatively unknown engine. But we're also bleeding new players every time they try out the game and there are no alternatives to play in the same genre. In the end only the core NS2 gamers are left...

The thing is, if we have more players (people playing the more casual or total conversion mods), I'm sure some of those will flow into the NS2 player base as well. And even if they don't, we would still have a much bigger NS2 themed population and Steam playerpopulous footprint. The core players will probably keep playing NS2 vanilla, but we do have to grow. Probably through fun and casual JumpInAndShoot mods as well, I mean there is a reason NS2 isn't as popular due to complexity and the chaos it inflicts on new players

Unlike Dota(likes), which is of course complex if not more so. But also has a simple to understand overview and easy to use interface. NS2 you get dropped into a game and immediately it's chaos (1 min after finding the enemy). Players have no idea what to do and tend to rambo like they can in other FPS's... Very complex maps at a first glance, complex movement, heavy hitting weapons, movement skills which you need, tracking aiming and twitch aiming, ALIEN movement and of course evil players who are experienced decimating you and this list goes on...

lerant :P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So what you're saying is we need to lab-rear a generation of genetically modified super gamers- mostly female, all with the drive and dedication to get good at FPS/RTS/MOBA hybrid games, and an unwavering obsession with NS2 and providing sexual pleasure to both new and experienced players of NS2?

Give me a few rolls of duct tape, a pillow and a truck full of fleshlights and i'll see what I can do
    14225875449_58394d990c_o.jpg
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    If it's anything like NS1 and combat is half as fun as it is now, yes, it will kill off ns_.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    Seeing that I can only last a round or two in combat before silently raging, I don't think it will do much. Who knows, maybe combat will attract CoD kiddies to come play the game...

That's 2 more rounds than I can play of public vanilla. I'll be playing combat over pub ns2 when it comes out. But will still be 6v6ing the actual game.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Have fun with that sir. I'd rather play vanilla on a server with half descent players than combat any day.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    You just put public and half decent players in the same context. We must be playing different games.
    Small Aussie pub scene must be pretty shtty. :D

But nah man, occasionally you can find a server with a bunch of regulars who may not have the mechanical skills of comp but at least communicate and drop medpacks. It's much more tolerable than the team of 6 spike lerks, silent xeno skulks, and GL spam you find in every combat round.
    edited June 2014
    I would actually say Aus pubs are leaps and bounds more enjoyable than any US game I've played on. Given they're the green Hyperion servers at whatever time in the morning that is for the states. But still not what I'm looking for in a game of NS2.

A decently sized combat server for the first 5 minutes or so is very enjoyable imo. Until like you said, late game tech comes out and ruins it. (exos, onos, xeno, etc, etc)

Something I hope is improved in the standalone.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    the game is already in decline, somewhat dead. You can already notice the community of members is what will keep this game running not the actual developers themselves. This alone shows they have no real interest in developing ns2 further.

if combat going to be running on ns2 engine that will cause further more problems. Who will be improving the engine if all ns2 updates will be done by the community?
    I haven't seen any engine improvements lately nor have I seen any real interest from the developers to even want to work on ns2.

I would be more worried about the future of ns2 since at this point developers moved on already developing their new project to gain more cash flow.
    The CDT already has engine access AND Matso helping with engine work. I am fairly positive good things will come from it. UWE needs to make money and investing a ton of man hours into improving a game that has probably reached its profit ceiling isn't really smart. Although I cannot comment on details, there are many cogs turning in the background that we will see in patches to come.

tl;dr Believe in the WasabiOne and friends. They just might surprise you with what can be done with a measly community team. :P
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The CDT already has engine access AND Matso helping with engine work. I am fairly positive good things will come from it. UWE needs to make money and investing a ton of man hours into improving a game that has probably reached its profit ceiling isn't really smart. Although I cannot comment on details, there are many cogs turning in the background that we will see in patches to come.

tl;dr Believe in the WasabiOne and friends. They just might surprise you with what can be done with a measly community team. :P
    UWE investing money in a game which reached profit ceiling is not about profits.

It is about building/strengthening community connections. Something more vaulable on an intrinsic level than a purely instrumental / profit oriented rationality.

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited June 2014
    The more I've been testing Combat the more it has been changing and evolving to look less like NS2 in a lot of ways - not just the game mode, but tech options, new weapons, new abilities, etc. It's honestly a very different game at this point. It's shares a common setting and a lot of common assets and weapons, but over time it's going to become more and more its own beast.

I really doubt that anyone that's still playing NS2 today is going to see Combat and immediately drop NS2 entirely for the simpler, more casual experience that Combat offers. I'm sure there's going to be plenty of crossover in both directions, but I don't see either one stealing the player base of the other. I play both, and I like both, because they're different kinds of fun.
    Dictator93 wrote: »

UWE investing money in a game which reached profit ceiling is not about profits.

It is about building/strengthening community connections. Something more vaulable on an intrinsic level than a purely instrumental / profit oriented rationality.

Which they did for a long time... anyway that wasn't even the main point of my post sir.
    ._.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2014
    Small Aussie pub scene must be pretty shtty. :D

But nah man, occasionally you can find a server with a bunch of regulars who may not have the mechanical skills of comp but at least communicate and drop medpacks. It's much more tolerable than the team of 6 spike lerks, silent xeno skulks, and GL spam you find in every combat round.

Well I just hope it isn't like that in stand alone because my god, combat on live is utterly awful now. I actually find it more frustrating than the main game by a long shot. If it's sufficiently different from the main game and the current combat mod then I will enjoy playing it on the offhour when I feel like chilling out.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2014
    Ricez wrote: »
    NS2 is on it's last legs in terms of playerbase, and it will probably die around the time Combat is released (summer lull) then there will be forum threads complaining about how combat killed NS classic again.

performance is what stopped ns2 from thriving, don't even try to blame it on anything else

edit: and I've never played combat, I loved what ns offered as a game itself
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    ezekel wrote: »
    NS2 is on it's last legs in terms of playerbase, and it will probably die around the time Combat is released (summer lull) then there will be forum threads complaining about how combat killed NS classic again.

performance is what stopped ns2 from thriving, don't even try to blame it on anything else

I never mentioned anything about what stopped NS2 thriving. ???

NS2 is going to die sooner or later and people will no doubt blame combat for killing it.

On what stopped NS2 being more popular, there isn't just 1 answer to that.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2014
    ezekel wrote: »

I never mentioned anything about what stopped NS2 thriving. ???

NS2 is going to die sooner or later and people will no doubt blame combat for killing it.

On what stopped NS2 being more popular, there isn't just 1 answer to that.

If the game launched with great server side performance, high tic servers (whatever other technical stuff I don't know the names) and high client side performance

trust me the game would be alive and kicking hard, I really enjoy playing ns2 everytime I play it.. it's just two things mixed so well together (word mixup here)

But then I get seriously frustrated when my framerate drops, I miss a shot cause input lag, or I die around two corners with a ping of 20.. and for someone who likes to play max fov/native res my performance is seriously killed. It's why I loved mendasps work so much and his adjusted maps but for things that came so late into the game and not included with the stock version only certain players knew about these things and so forth.. I understand games having decent requirements but it's overkill to have solid stable performance in this game.. that's just my 'sole reason' on the game. The devs and community were very active in updating/ and adjusting/ balancing and adding content so there's no reason why if the game wasn't running nicely that it wouldn't have a huge playerbase. (of course a more in-depth interactive tutorial for beginners at the get-go would have been nice..

I really doubt combat would/will have any impact
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I think the whole point of Combat going stand-alone was that they were free from the restrictions of having to stick rigidly to NS2 rules. Of course I am sure combat will retain some elements of NS2, but I don't think it will be as close to NS2 as people hope. The concept of using Combat as training for NS2 will probably not exist.

I also agree. With them being a standalone they are probably free to take creative liberty with the game and its mechanics. That means anyone playing combat can't go into NS2 and have their combat experience benefit them or their team.

That will result in people playing combat or ns2 but not both.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @soccerguy243‌ I disagree sorry. I am going to buy Combat: stand alone because some times I just can't spend the potential 30+ minutes on a round (but I want to play in the NS universe. Besides, there is no other alien vs human game out there that I like.

I am also buying Subnautica (for its unique game play elements, and design)