Whats the point of having as much as possible servers filled?

dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
This community is small, its very small. Only 500 players around peak.

So, whats the point of having as much as possible own servers filled?
Sure you have an awesome quadcore and you can run 5 servers on it.
And yes, you have paid for the serverhardware.

But im sure other admin have paid for there servers also. Just a rumor.

Btw paid, do you really pay people to seed your servers?
Noo, cant be true.

Lets say we have around 250 players in the EU @ the evening.
Then have a look @ the servers they play on.

Wooza: 42 slot
4 thirsty onos 3*24+1*18
2 * tick: 2*28

198 players are on servers of 3 admins.

I respect every admin spending, time and money to host a server for this game.
But i dont respect any of the admins of the servers above.

Your behaviour is poison for this community in my eyes.

Greetings to KingKahuna, you are the godfather of this kind of admins.

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    It's called life. If people of their own free will, like the server and the atmosphere, then they will play on it. If the server is continuosly full, and other players request them for more slots or another server, then they do it. Why, because their community is working well.

Also, don't give King too much credit, this is hardly a novel idea.. Our community ran 2 CS:Servers, A CS:S ZombieMod server, F.E.A.R. server and UT2004 server. Guess what, our community got more popular and bigger, so what did we do?

Yes that's right, we got more servers, then we realised, actually, we'd be better off setting up our own server hosting company, so we did...

People are responding to market forces. Personally, I love HBZ servers, but you pissed off a few members of the community in the past, and I think now with the smaller playerbase, the repercussions are being felt.

This is not a slight on you, I have no issue, but it is what I believe to the case, rather than the fault of these server admins. I do believe once upon a time, you yourself had 3 or 4 servers up...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    Hmmm and where is the issue / problem now? What should we talk about?

Everyone is free to host as much ns2 servers as he likes as the server software freely avaible to everyone. The players decide where they want to play. If they like those servers let them play at those servers.

So far ok wooza is a difficult case as the playercount is beyong the one the game was designed for, but i don't see any issues with the other two "servers networks". Both admins are pretty activ and friendly to everyone.

And about KKG: ppl seem to like those servers as they continue to play on them so seems like they are not that bad.

So again what is this about?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Supply and demand. If people like and demand more of a particular brand, you supply more. Simple.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    You realize how hard it is to keep a game seeded for an entire match in a pub setting on a 12 - 14 slot server? For pub play (and we're looking at public servers) higher slots make sense so that as people rage, we all know it will happen, it's not gonna cause a much of a deficit for either team. Personally I don't like going over 9 v 9, but you can't deny that there's a reason people join these servers. No need to try to sling mud at these other server operators (especially ones that aren't on your continent). Everybody has their preferences.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    I've read through the OP's post about 4 times now and still have no clue what they're talking about. Could somebody please translate?? All that I can piece together is that he's pissed off because sometimes servers are full. What?
  • 0+0=00+0=0 Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149263Members
    OP is slandering KKG servers. Another day, another hater. His incoherent ranting is proof he's either unfounded in reality or a troll.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    dePARA wrote: »
    I respect every admin spending, time and money to host a server for this game.
    But i dont respect any of the admins of the servers above.

Your behaviour is poison for this community in my eyes.

Greetings to KingKahuna, you are the godfather of this kind of admins.

Their poisonous behavior as in...? Hosting a server? Having mods that people enjoy? Seems like your jealous that people are joining servers that aren't your own, and it's compounded by the fact that you cant seem to stand that people join servers that aren't capped at 12 - 14 slots. You think people should be tied to the vanilla experience? If these people are recurrently joining these high slot servers, obviously the gameplay is NOT putting them off enough to quit. On the contrary, more snarky threads like this from one server op to another are enough to deter me from your server, if I ever got a decent ping on it. Like I said earlier, why don't you worry about your continent, and not sweat what KKG's doing.

Guess what else. I've seeded KKG (and other) servers MANY times in the past, and I've not got a dime from anybody for it. Was a pleasure, even.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    The only problem I have with todays pubs is that to few people play on 18slot or smaller, and are growing more and more a zerg mentality of brainless throwing themselves onto the enemy to die.

While I personally believe this, partially, is the fault of big servers I can still respect them for playing on it. (tbh, id doubt those ppl would learn)
    Best to join another server and not think about it anymore?

/no knowhow of admins on those servers, wont comment. For all I know they are great admins.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    NS2 server marketing 101: make 24 slots server, join server with 5 other friends (and spam invites in your steam friends), wait 15 minutes for it to fill.

the server who are succesful are simple the ones with the admins dedicated enough to game the system that way.

As for the small server problem. This game is simply not playable under 5v5 so on an 18 slots server,when the round starts, if you get a couple leavers, a couple afks, and then the round starts at 4vs5 or something, you have a broken game from the start. Then people leave and boom the server died, but that scenario on a 24 server will lead to the game starting as a 7v8 maybe which is way more playable, but once its 12 v 12 its a nightmare for a lot of players.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @dePARA‌
    I own and run The Thirsty Onos servers. First of all I must say that your numbers are completely wrong. I have not even once had that many players (3*24+1*18=90) on my servers at the same time. I have six servers but it's usually only one or two that are populated at the same time.

You don't know me so please let me explain why I run NS2 servers at all. I bought NS2 when it was released. I fell in love with the game and quickly became a regular on a good server with a nice community. All was well until the beginning of this year when that server was shut down without notice. I tried to find another server to become a regular on but I couldn't find anyone that I liked and felt at home at. At first I was going to give up playing NS2 but I quickly found that I missed the game too much. So I did some research and bought the hardware to start a couple of servers of my own.

At first I only had one vanilla NS2 server but it soon became difficult for me and other regulars to get a slot on it during peak hours so I started another one. In addition to those two I have four NS2 servers that run different mods (faded, combat, mvm and compmod) because I like to support modders and to give players some variation within the NS2 universe.

Regarding money I have paid for the hardware myself. I have never paid anyone to play on or to seed my servers. I do most of the seeding myself and I have a hard time believing that anyone would think it worth the money to pay for seeding when the player base is as small as it is. I have never accepted donations or sold reserved slots. I don't even have a reserved slot for myself because I think everyone should have the same chance to get a slot.

So why do I do this? It's simply because I think NS2 is one of the best games ever made and I want to keep playing it for a long time. And to answer your question, I don't think there's any point in having as many players as possible on my servers. I don't want my servers to grow anymore now because I'm not sure I could maintain the quality if they did. Tick rate must never drop and I want admins to be around most of the time.

I don't really understand the point of your post but it seems like you think there is a fixed number of NS2 players that server owners should divide equally between them. That's not how it works. Players have a free will and choose for themselves. I don't see other NS2 servers as competitors because I think that the more quality servers with active and friendly admins there are, the more people will play NS2 and that's all I really want. I'm happy to help other server owners get started and I have no problem sharing all of my config files.

Does this make me "the poison of this community"? I hope not. I try hard to be the exact opposite.
  • RafestationRafestation Finland Join Date: 2014-06-06 Member: 196411Members
    Just read through this whole forum and I have to admit, that I've never even heard of people paying to seed their own servers, not in any game. I myself work as an administrator on an NS2 server, but that's because I was seen potential in as a person who will be able to remove egregious players and to support greenhorns, as well as skilled players.

I find the idea of having a few administrators running the servers for this game great. We have some versatility in what we want to play, and some people most likely have some servers dedicated to the vanilla version of this game, so that people will always have something to return to, though most of the servers, for example TTO's have barely, if even at all used mods that affect the game mechanics themselves.

Also sharing of the playerbase equally for all servers just sounds odd, even if it was possible. People should be able to play what they want and where they want.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2014
    Its understandable that you and every admin want to have players on your server.
    You pay for the hardware and without players it would a bit pointless to host a a server.

But:

I dont understand this "one of my server is full, lets seed the next one" mentality.
    Other admins paid for there servers also.
    "german-slaughterhouse" was a good example. The admin and 2 or 3 of his "seeding-crew" jumping from one server to another to fill them the whole day.
    As this happen in times with many players it was relative ok.

All i can say is: "to live and let live" (btw. i had a similar thread ages ago)
    This counts more in times of 450 players peak.
    You can call it life i call it "to respect other admins".

I host the oldest NS2 server over 2,5 years now and I think the server is still relative popular.
    Some dont like to play on my server as i dont like to play on some other servers, wich is ok.
    NS2 lost many players wich mean less of the "old" players left on my server. This is what you can call life.

Players joining servers with people playing on them.
    Most of them dont care about servernames.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    What someone needs to do is set up some server pools that auto-populate using a 3rd party mod. You start with 2+ of 16-18 player servers, with 2+ 24 player servers as feeders. Numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6, etc. respectively, with the 16-18 slot servers always listed first.

When you join any of these servers, it automatically marks you as being "recruitable", but you can choose to opt-out if you wish. Every minute, the server will check with the other pool servers with a number below yours, starting at server 1.

If a server has at least 2 players below their max for at least 30 seconds, it will ask random "recruitable" player(s) if they want to be "promoted" to a different server. If you accept, it will connect you to the new server. If you reject, it will put you on the "hold" list for 5 minutes (or until your round ends) and ask again (unless you opt-out).

The only reason this might not work is people hate the horribly long time it takes to join a server in NS2, so everyone opts out. I don't have a solution for that. Otherwise, I think people might actually enjoy the chance of being "promoted" all the way up to server #1 and stay on longer once they get there, because they are more likely to stay populated the whole time.

TLDR: Auto-ask players on the larger-count servers in the pool if they want to be promoted to another server.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Racer1 wrote: »
    The only reason this might not work is people hate the horribly long time it takes to join a server in NS2, so everyone opts out.

Another reason could be: There only around 250 players in your region to join your awesome servernetwork.
    But hey: you need 10 24 slot server and you have nearly whole europe on your servers.

You should try this.
    Maybe a modder can realize this "great" idea.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    Closed.
    Next time you want to make a thread about server admins or playercounts, try not to make the entire thing about naming and shaming individuals in the community.
This discussion has been closed.