NS2 Toonimation preparations

Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT DeputyThe Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited May 2014 in Artwork Forum
Of course my artskills aren't on par with some of the amazing peeps in here :P But that won't stop the likes of me... I'm seriously considering doing some fun toon animation NS2 style. This here is a rough sketch of some chars from the NS2 universe, cartoon style... or something...

First concept
13986370497_8b030b0ddb_o.gif
They're a bit simple/chibi/cute so they can be animated easier, yeah that's right!

More images from the thread
Onos, Lerk and more marine armour
13993035090_2767b9893d_o.gif
EXO, jetty
14180623095_d90b740815_o.png
First draft animation
14187925264_9bd66a9541_o.gif
Skulk Gorge Bellyslide
BoaVWZbIUAAhSnn.png

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Reminds me of Starcrafts from Carbot. I'd like to see what an onos looks like though!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Reminds me of Starcrafts from Carbot. I'd like to see what an onos looks like though!
    I love his animations! And yes I'd like to see what an Onos looks like as well :D
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    I was thinking something like this, also added the Lerk and modified the rines a bit while also adding more skin types :)
    13993035090_2767b9893d_o.gif
    edited May 2014
    EXO (jetpack) reveal :D
    14180623095_d90b740815_o.png
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    Hmm, the fist is on the wrong side!!! :P Great work Kouji, but why do the railguns look more like Megaman? :D
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Hmm, the fist is on the wrong side!!! :P Great work Kouji, but why do the railguns look more like Megaman? :D
    Haha dammit, I mirrored it for coolsies poses and stuff :P Hmm now that you mention it, the railguns do have the megaman booster blast effect...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    The two onos look different saying that there is room for variation. If you are going to animate this, there should be a fat lerk like the one in the picture above, and a skinny lerk. They should have unique comical characters that play off each other. Doooo it.
    edited May 2014
    james888 wrote: »
    The two onos look different saying that there is room for variation. If you are going to animate this, there should be a fat lerk like the one in the picture above, and a skinny lerk. They should have unique comical characters that play off each other. Doooo it.

That one onos has his frontal armour deployed. But it's something to keep in mind in any case. I've also had a look at the various marine armour sets (default, spec-ops, deluxe, assault, elite assault and kodiak). Got them sorted out for the most part, mostly small changes and minor color changes.

Not sure yet how to differentiate the female marines though, maybe similar but less bulky, I dunno... For the animation part I'll probably throw in some easter eggs with some highly individual aliens and marines (heroes?), but most of them will be anonymous cannon fodder :P

Right now I'm focussing on drawing them as much as possible so I can get the animation bit right. Traditional frame by frame animation. A bit more work than tweening, but way more satisfying and of course if I get it right, will look much better. Plus I've got more control and I want to get better at drawing things, so it'll also be a nice practice session while getting to entertain you guys :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Side note, the onos that is bone walling looks like it is pouting. "I don't wanna go to the doctor"!
    edited May 2014
    A first sloppy draft sketching dem frames with a spec-ops marine and a semi-copied elite assault marine... Did I mention sloppy sketching. I'm just testing stuff kinda reminds me of that Ed, Edd and Eddy wobbly animation, but more wobbly... :D
    14187925264_9bd66a9541_o.gif
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    If you're animating it... will there be sound?
    edited May 2014
    If you're animating it... will there be sound?

Well I do have the entire NS+NS2 sound library at my disposal... I'm not really looking into voiceovers other than ingame ones, otherwise it would be abit out of... game character? :P
    Just teasing you guys a bit, today will be the release of Episode 1
    14247898611_6fb7bcfe01_o.png
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    What are you doing about backgrounds? Is it going to be blank like in the teaser? If you don't want to draw the backgrounds, it might be interesting to take screenshots from the game, and use those as backgrounds... almost like what Archer does (cg backgrounds, animated characters)
    Mostly simplified cartoony vision (as you've probably already seen :P)
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    HA dat Overweight Fade,

It's so flawed, it's perfect :D
  • SkyfishSkyfish Norway Join Date: 2013-11-23 Member: 189525Members
    These aliens are missing something essential! The frilly butt tendrils! It's not aliens without frilly butt tendrils.
    Skyfish wrote: »
    These aliens are missing something essential! The frilly butt tendrils! It's not aliens without frilly butt tendrils.
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to animated butt tendrils, we don't have the technology man
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Skyfish wrote: »
    Do you have any idea how hard it is to animated butt tendrils, we don't have the technology man
    Even on a gorge! A gorge has to have its butt tendrils!

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    you can freely use my shell design.