Procedural Content Generation in Games

LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
I was just browsing upcoming game [dev] conferences and found the workshop on procedural content generation in games as part of FDG2014 in Florida. They have a panel on mixed-mode systems with both human and procedurally generated content which seems related to what you do in Subnautica. Will anyone from UWE attend?

Comments

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    huh interesting! I guess I won't be attending this year, but will definitely be on the look out for papers from it.
  • LumpNLumpN Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Members, Subnautica Developer
    I was just talking to Professor Kenneth Stanley who is one of the organizers of the conference. He said the cool thing about procedural content is to discover (unveil) some stunning content that wasn't expected / intended by the designer. He calls it serendipity.

Now if we could only make that happen! A generator "loose" enough to actually generate unforeseen vistas for the player. It would give a whole new meaning to exploration.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    This was not worth making its own thread, so I figure I will put it here.

This is another game in early development that is in space. It will use an infinite procedural space. http://ltheory.com/about.html