Was Kodiak a failure in your eyes?

LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow

It seems like it was considered a failure by UWE's video here.

Discuss.

Comments

• RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I never liked that map even before it was released as official map. Nice to walk around it and observe the water and vegetation, but as a gameplay map, nah.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    That's pretty interesting stuff. First, I think it's good to hear that UWE seems to have made a lot of money out of NS2 in general (correct if I'm wrong, but 10 mio sounds like a lot to me). That means we'll keep getting games from them.

Now, I see why they view Kodiak as a failure. If I were them, I probably would, too. However, I think it's an overall enrichment for the community and the game. (We got a whole new map, we got more custom content integrated into the main game, etc.)

I think the main reason the update was a failure is the small size of the active NS2 community. If you only have about 1000 daily players, only a fraction of them are going to buy the DLC and it is obviously hard to reach 50,000. You might want to say that the Kodiak update came too late to be able to succeed.

I wonder if those 12,000 revenue are with or without Loki's share, though :D
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Being objective, and after watching it whole, I need to agree.

Yes the community liked the pack.
    Yes we like that more and more community folk are involved.

But it cost more to make then it received in sales. That basicly means you bleed money.
    Sales, players etc (from what I got on the vid) did not go up in any meaningful numbers.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think it was a fail. I guess it depends on your expectations. I brought 2 Kodiak DLC, 1 for me and one for gift. I felt it was a good strategy for UWE to:
    1. properly attribute credit to the community's effort for getting fixes and content
    2. Try out CDT as an idea, but sanctioned by UWE (I think this is a great move by an Indie that don't have the resources to sustain content and patch)
    3. 2. is possible because NS2 has always been a Community input game since its inception.

I think UWE took a chance with the CDT, and also Combat standalone (I hope both will be a great success). I am really looking forward to combat for a quick blast, but have NS2 to fall back on for a more intelligent fps.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Took a chance? They moved on from the game and just allowed ppl to mod on their own. I hope to god we stop hearing of this 'small indie' team, and treat uwe more like a company, not 4 faces.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I think you guys are reading too much into the language here. "Failure" doesn't necessarily mean the update was "bad", more like "learning experience".
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    I watched @hugh 's whole video and have serious doubts about his 'scientific method'.

The only truth here:
    "Decoy wrote: »
    The best part about the Kodiak update "failing"? The Community Development Team spawned.

And i would like to add:

$ for loki.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    One day Hugh will realise he is being too quick at writing off these things as 'failures'. He's still thinking like an accountant, bottom dollar is the be all. This was successful in so many ways that financial doesn't measure.

My only issue is the lack of coverage this received in the gaming press. Only a couple of days before, GorgeCraft had been News'd on RPS, and that was without a press release or anything done. You can guarantee if an email had been sent to the gaming press, they would have been over the kodiak update like a rash.

The journalists on these sites are desperate for news, so much so that they will post about a mod that updates it's news story on ModDB, think how mad they would have gone over this, if only they had been contacted.
  • freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    They might be looking at it the wrong way, if they sold it at $6 a pop to a tune of $12,000 then it was sold to 2000 players, which is about twice the concurrent users. I'd like to know the stats on the "active" playerbase, IE how many people have played the game in the last month. If they planned to make $50k they were expecting to sell over 8000 DLCs. It was cool DLC but we cannot see skins ourselves this is a 1st person game, only other people can which makes it not as cool as other games skins can be. Even TF2 you get different weapons with different effects. This game is pretty fast paced and there isn't much time to sit and admire skins, and its pretty graphically intense and dark, where in a game like TF2, skins show up much better due to the color/contrast and art style they went with.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I don't think it was a fail. I guess it depends on your expectations. I brought 2 Kodiak DLC, 1 for me and one for gift. I felt it was a good strategy for UWE to:
    1. properly attribute credit to the community's effort for getting fixes and content
    2. Try out CDT as an idea, but sanctioned by UWE (I think this is a great move by an Indie that don't have the resources to sustain content and patch)
    3. 2. is possible because NS2 has always been a Community input game since its inception.

I think UWE took a chance with the CDT, and also Combat standalone (I hope both will be a great success). I am really looking forward to combat for a quick blast, but have NS2 to fall back on for a more intelligent fps.

Just to be clear, KODIAK was community built and supported, but it was not the COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TEAM as you suggest. While some members of the team were involved with Kodiak, this is an entirely different venture forward.
  • HivelordHivelord Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17567Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The key points for me in that video were the profitability (almost zero for UWE) and concurrent steam numbers. 33% drop in concurrent players since kodiak development started, and 7% drop since kodiak was released. I would call that a failure based on those facts alone. Professional development (community team) and adding new content for existing players is cool, but lets not forget about the lifeblood of a game that is concurrent players and business 101.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Kodiak was a great project, developing it was a good decision, it produced a multitude of wonderful outcomes, I am honoured to have been a part of it, and I am proud of those on the team that put it together.

Many posts in this thread appear very upset with me for suggesting otherwise. I did not intend to suggest otherwise. Consider the Microtalks context, and their objectives:

1. Discuss an interesting game development point
    2. Practice short form public speaking

Given I am not very good at public speaking, and consequently am keen to practice it, it is understandable that my intended point would be misunderstood in the context of an audience of passionate NS2 players. At the core, the definition of 'failure' many of the posts in this thread adopt is very different to the definition of failure I am using in the talk.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    edited May 2014
    Don't worry @Hugh, I don't think anyone hates you for it we all make mistakes.
    Some valid points in here though. Like how it received zero PR. Even the main screen in game is still on Eclipse. I play almost every night and I'm still coming across people who don't even know there's a new map.

Also your financial goal was set way too high for a player base that is so small. Not that you guys shouldn't try and make all this affordable but 50k just isn't realistic from 2000 people who don't even know about it. :p

I think financially you should view it as a success even if it's not sustainable. If you were to do the same thing with subnautica earlier in the games life I expect a goal like 50k would be a breeze. With that in mind I think I know what you mean be failure not being the right word.
    Hugh wrote: »
    Given I am not very good at public speaking, and consequently am keen to practice it, it is understandable that my intended point would be misunderstood in the context of an audience of passionate NS2 players. At the core, the definition of 'failure' many of the posts in this thread adopt is very different to the definition of failure I am using in the talk.

Tip: dont stand in front of anything which is loved and call it a failure, 'while speaking in general' when u love it yourself. nuances get lost.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Too many cooks in the kitchen, too many opinions about it. I doubt any one person feels exactly the same about it. Personally, I couldn't say yes or no that it's a failure. I don't reap the benefits of the success of it, nor do I need to take blame for the "failures." I love the map, I think the optional DLC is sweet (bought mine that day), and I get tired of people shrugging it off because they dont want to take the time to learn the damn map. It plays FINE in my experience so far; I have smashed aliens, I have smashed marines.

That said, I want moar. MOAR.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    CCTEE wrote: »

Tip: dont stand in front of anything which is loved and call it a failure, 'while speaking in general' when u love it yourself. nuances get lost.

Get over it, dude. The patch was a failure. Anyone with half a brain can see that by watching the video and the data Hugh presented. They invested X amount of time, made $0 profit, and the playerbase continued to drop. That is a failed business investment.
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    CCTEE wrote: »

Get over it, dude. The patch was a failure. Anyone with half a brain can see that by watching the video and the data Hugh presented. They invested X amount of time, made $0 profit, and the playerbase continued to drop. That is a failed business investment.

my point was that 'nuances get lost'.
  • bonagebonage Join Date: 2012-10-13 Member: 162230Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ns2isgood wrote: »

Sometimes you have to make a loss or break even in order to set up a profitable platform.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Game updates cost money, and need to make a certain amount back to be worth the time investment, especially for a small team. "Failure" is a tough word that elicits a strong emotional response for people who feel personally invested in the project, some of which we've already seen in this thread. Any other game developer would simply have had this meeting internally and never breathe a word of it to the public.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited May 2014
    Kodiak - While I personally have spent about 10 minutes playing it. It's a completely bad map. But hey it looks good. My mate who has 250 hours of ns2 and doesn't play competitively hates this map so much.

Why the patch was a failure;
    - Kodiak offered nothing to the competitive community
    - The map is bad, the FPS on the map is bad.
    - Skins were bad, Hardly noticable while playing.
    - Bugs were left unattended yet again (and new ones introduced?? forgotten now)

UWE need someone who has real experience in advertising, PR & Problem solving. They had Jambi a solid map, a well played & fair map. A map that should be a official map. But because it's not pretty enough gets screwed.

UWE need someone with the ability to make the harsh decisions & not afraid of being the bad guy.

The skins failed because there was no advertising. I only play this game for Matches & Scrims so I literally had no clue about them & I was unwilling to give any donations to UWE due to there recent poor form of updates.

Maybe UWE should look at how CSGO run there skins/content pipeline and actually brainstorm ways to improve there profits. Once again 50% of the community was left with a half assed foul taste in there mouth.

Why would I buy armor skins when I can't see them on myself? Gun skins only.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, hopefully NS2's future updates won't be considered failures, I hypothesize.

Deadlines: None.
    Cost: None.
    Expectations: Clearly Set.
    Goodies: All of them.
    Profit: Technically 100%.

;)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    One day Hugh will realise he is being too quick at writing off these things as 'failures'. He's still thinking like an accountant, bottom dollar is the be all. This was successful in so many ways that financial doesn't measure.
    Oh, financial matters a great deal when running a company and needing to keep everyone employed. Unfortunately, when undertaking a large task that involves company time and money, such as the Kodiak update, it really has to be with the intention to make it profitable. A nice side effect is to generate good will among the community, etc., but at the end of the day we can't run a company on good will. An increase in sales and an increase in playerbase are the measures for success of any product we put out.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    My only issue is the lack of coverage this received in the gaming press. Only a couple of days before, GorgeCraft had been News'd on RPS, and that was without a press release or anything done. You can guarantee if an email had been sent to the gaming press, they would have been over the kodiak update like a rash. The journalists on these sites are desperate for news, so much so that they will post about a mod that updates it's news story on ModDB, think how mad they would have gone over this, if only they had been contacted.
    It is an odd assumption to make that Hugh would not send out an email regarding the Kodiak update to the press. You really think he put all that effort into the trailer, into all the news writeups and overseeing the promotional assets, etc., and yet somehow neglected to send out emails to the press? Of course he blasted the Kodiak release out to whoever would listen. Unfortunately, we are no longer "sexy" news. NS2 has been out for over a year and a half, it doesn't have a huge gaming population, and there are a constant stream of new games coming out every day, so unfortunately the press are not going to be falling all over themselves to report on a DLC and map update.

Anyway, not singling you out Soul_Rider, just using your post as example of a lot of similar posts in this thread that seem to indicate that we didn't bother to do PR for the update or something.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Regardless of what people think of the map, since in my experience everyone seems to write off new NS2 maps without reason anyway. I think the skins implementation was actually a successful trial. I see them all over the place. I bought them. I would buy more of them.

Can't make profit off of micro DLC sales when 500 people play the game though. With such a small pool of potential buyers and considering UWE was still paying so much for updates at that point a sustainable return was never going to happen.

More implemented cosmetics via the @NS2CDT might make some money here and there, but it almost seems like a waste of effort without making the game available to everyone. If all the funding of the Eclipse and Kodiak updates went into setting up a free to play model I wonder where we would be now?

I just don't think new official maps are even wanted anymore. Or were wanted at all past biodome. Or even bring in new players to begin with. Looking at the gorgeous changelog right now, and I can tell you it wasn't descent that spiked the playerbase graph.

Sorry lots of edits. Touchy subject.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Jekt wrote: »

Can't make profit off of micro DLC sales when 500 people play the game though. If all the funding of the Eclipse and Kodiak updates went into setting up a free to play model .. Well I'm just speculating I guess, and it would of been a huge task for UWE.

Pretty much this.
    But it wouldn't help bringing people into the game from the F2P side of things until the game is playable on your typical F2P machine.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014
    edit: I should be less angry, I don't really care about it that much.

But still, I would have thought it smart to invest in the system rather than in that one pack...