Announcing the Community Development Team - Build 266 and possibly beyond?

Comments

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ._.

All i'm saying is don't expect a fix any time soon.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Until some dude comes along and reveals all that had to be done was change one line of code.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Until some dude comes along and reveals all that had to be done was change one line of code.

You mean that as a critique of another bugfix, but that is actually how most bugfixes work. its often one obscure line that does not what one expects. that is how software development work.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Wasn't critique. Just an in-joke.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @matso‌
    Can't those 20hz updates be smoothed out / interpolated further? (forsaking the time it's delivered to the viewer)

Hmm... I just tried out some first person spectating, and it seems to be pretty smooth, actually - no hitching/rubberbanding which would occur if interpolation was the problem.

Now, you get a bit of motion sickness when in first-person spectating because the view angle shifts pretty abruptly - but that's probably unavoidable; the view angles are interpolated so you get as smooth a transition as you can get.

The reason (most) people don't have a problem with that when actually playing the game is that your brain predicts the outcome when you control the player (your brain is really helpful that way), so you are not surprised when the world shifts around.

Now, pre-264, there was this time-bug which caused a bit of jitter for player values; I can imagine that that may actually have been causing extra trouble when spectating... could you check if spectating has improved since 264?
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I've always been fairly certain that the first-person spectator bug is because the engine is basically tricked into believing the spectator is actually the player - thus sending the spectator all the same data that the player gets. The problem occurrs when the player and spectator have largely different pings, the server doesn't know what game-time data to send to each.

I can certainly do some tests and see if the problem's resolved since 264.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    joshhh wrote: »
    ._.

All i'm saying is don't expect a fix any time soon.

joshhhy you're bad and wrong

i want fix nao
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I was under the impression that that was how 1st person spec was first implemented, but that there was some engine work that had been done to make it do a better job... so now we get the gun model and all the rest that's going on in first person, but there seems to be an issue with how the server handles the spectated client that is causing the update rate to slow down or something.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    IMO: Develop NSTV (equivalent to HLTV).

The game server dumps a copy of all player telemetry to a 3rd party server to offload all that traffic. Spectators can log into that and watch it like a live stream, but with a delay. So long as it is smooth, and players can still toggle between players and perhaps even demo it, it would be awesome.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was always wondering what the hell was all about with spectator mode after deaths. Every single time, when you die, and you see another player, it's rubberbanding horribly and i also ALWAYS see the red connection problem icon flashing. Now i know why. That part of the game is apparently entirely broken. Yay...
  • simple_simple_ Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188102Members
    IMO: Develop NSTV (equivalent to HLTV).

The game server dumps a copy of all player telemetry to a 3rd party server to offload all that traffic. Spectators can log into that and watch it like a live stream, but with a delay. So long as it is smooth, and players can still toggle between players and perhaps even demo it, it would be awesome.

Raza had the idea a long time ago but dropped it. I asked for the network specifications of NS2, to see if it can be easily done (without touching the server), but never heard back from anyone.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I would like to know, as a member of the general modding community, will we be able to receive feedback on when updates are going to have implications for our mods? As I have finished GorgeCraft, and am workingo n a new mod, I'd be very appreciative of knowing in advance when I have to get my head around the GorgeCraft code again to fix any new updates..

If there is a serious consideration for a demo-recording system, has anyone thought of contacting Player regarding the system he was working on for NS2 during the Beta?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    YES, Soul_Rider! We will be working very hard to alert the community of incoming updates and releases. make sure you follow us on twitter @ ns2cdt for the most up to date info for now...
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Great news, excited to see what you guys do with NS2.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Obraxis wrote: »

Seems our community is 'rabid'. I lolled (after googling the word).
    :)

Oh btw: not in the article, just in the comments.
  • scanfieldscanfield Join Date: 2012-12-14 Member: 175069Members
    Point of clarification: is it possible for any member of the community to get access to the source and propose improvements (i.e. is this game going open source?) Or is the development merely moved from individuals employed by Unknown Worlds to some community team picked by UWE?
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @scanfield This has been touched on earlier in this thread. The Engine code will not be made available; however, you already have access to the game code (Lua).
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    scanfield wrote: »
    Point of clarification: is it possible for any member of the community to get access to the source and propose improvements (i.e. is this game going open source?) Or is the development merely moved from individuals employed by Unknown Worlds to some community team picked by UWE?

The game will not be going 'open source'. Only the community Dev Team will have direct access. You of course can look at all the lua code yourself, being an owner of NS2 :)

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    But you can still apply to play test as well as submit fixes and optimizations to the code you do have access to. ;-)
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited May 2014
    What about flawless SteamOS support? Is that considered? The machines will be arriving next year. How about trying to time that with a content update to get a free ride on the hype train, and focusing on fixing bugs and improving the GUI and so on in the meantime.

Still too early to say I guess, but I'm interested in hearing about the long-term goals.

• kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    how does steam os support work? i thought it was just the same as linux support for some reason.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    You also need the controller support i guess, which i dont see happening
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    stuff

WTF PUT IT BACK
    i cant handle changes in my environment like this!
    pav-30071.jpg
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    Woot \o/ - That is all.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    CCTEE wrote: »
    stuff

WTF PUT IT BACK
    i cant handle changes in my environment like this!
    pav-30071.jpg

Where did you even find his old avatar?
    His steam profile.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Add the Extra Entities Mod to the official editor, the lack of mapping possibilities is boring me to hell! Need - moar - triggers :D