The game is too balanced

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    @RaZDaZ‌
    All directional thrusters and +15% HP would do the trick I believe. Then just make beacon not effect them.
    Bonus points if ns2+ fixes make it in too. (removal of obscuring smoke and scan lines)
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    @IronHorse‌

I think I would explode the Exo you describe made it in. It would be both viable and fun in Public Games!
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    xen32 wrote: »
    How about:
    If all tech points have been occupied for 20 minutes AND neither base was destroyed during that time AND each team has more than one base, game freezes for every field player, both commander log out and go to secret negotiation room that only opens at this stage. Then commanders proceed to discuss peace treaty, you know, who's keeping what room, like, borders, who's going to clean up the mess, etc. Once agreement is reached, game unfreezes and everybody shakes hands. Friendship.

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @RaZDaZ‌
    All directional thrusters and +15% HP would do the trick I believe. Props if ns2+ fixes make it in too. (removal of obscuring smoke and scan lines)

Only if they are not beaconable. I hated that change that made Exos able to be beacon in. This removed the strategic play of forcing a beacon and leaving the unsupported exo alone against the advancing pack of aliens (those were holy crap moments when I am in the exo). When your whole team just vanishes in thin air, recalled by the commander. Leaving you alone in the dark, with only the dim red light illuminating your surroundings. Then you hear multiple targets by the clanging of metal as their claws scratch against the metal interior of the vents surrounding the room.

Bring back the old exo!
    PS. I think the old exo was too powerful before bone shield was an ability for the onos. An onos can not survive and engage an exo at mid range without bone shield (and lets not forge the armor nerf...). And make the thrusters take longer to recharge, so kiting an onos isn't too easy (ie. you can't kite forever).

EDIT: fixed typos.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Oh ya... I forgot about that one, Cannon.
    Will edit my post :P
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Paajtor wrote: »
    i blame the grenade launchers
    ..or have the 2 Lerk gasses work the other way around: Umbra as a release-, and Spores as a ranged-attack.
    Has this been tried anyway?

Tried. Long-range spores were op at the time. Dunno about now.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2014
    "The game is too balanced", I dont even....

Is that how I sound like to you guys?, lol

Anyways, I like longer games, but the occasional gorge rush is still amusing.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I love how this turned into another thread about how much we lvoe the old exos :D
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Old exos were so broken lol.

Just click on stuff once and do 200 damage.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I only bought TitanFall™ because NS2 Exo's weren't being used enough.. :P
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    RapGod wrote: »
    ..or have the 2 Lerk gasses work the other way around: Umbra as a release-, and Spores as a ranged-attack.

As far as I know, the blinding effect of spores has been toned down many builds ago.
    Maybe it should be tried again.
    I think it would be a good counter vs. The cheap nadespam I often see.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    RapGod wrote: »

As far as I know, the blinding effect of spores has been toned down many builds ago.
    Maybe it should be tried again.
    I think it would be a good counter vs. The cheap nadespam I often see.

Counter spam with more spam? Dunno.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Still don't understand people being salty about losing life forms to nade spam. I've been fading hard for the last 3-400 hours of my game time on a 20 man server and I've lost a fade to GL like maybe once? Obviously while retreating and already severely damaged. I used to main lerk and by the time GLs are out and spamming, I'd either have res for another or get them for free from the comm. I can't remember losing many lerks to GLs either frankly. Just fly above them, they explode on the ground lol
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I've lost plenty of lifeforms to nade spam, while still evolving inside my egg! :((

The simple fact that the term nade-spam is widely used in NS2, indicates that it is a problem.
    Certainly on the bigger servers (18players and up).
    Its funny because nade 'spam' is the worst way to use them;

If you use a GL properly (directly hit specific alien structures to kill them in 2 clips or less) they are absolutely devastating.

Does my head in when you see marines firing blindly into a group of structures, the splash damage is really low so nothing actually dies, but they get lots of pretty damage numbers appearing on screen, right? :P
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    @RaZDaZ‌
    All directional thrusters and +15% HP would do the trick I believe. Props if ns2+ fixes make it in too. (removal of obscuring smoke and scan lines)

Only if they are not beaconable. I hated that change that made Exos able to be beacon in. This removed the strategic play of forcing a beacon and leaving the unsupported exo alone against the advancing pack of aliens (those were holy crap moments when I am in the exo). When your whole team just vanishes in thin air, recalled by the commander. Leaving you alone in the dark, with only the dim red light illuminating your surroundings. Then you hear multiple targets by the clanging of metal as their claws scratch against the metal interior of the vents surrounding the room.

Bring back the old exo!
    PS. I think the old exo was too powerful before bone shield was an ability for the onos. An onos can not survive and engage an exo at mid range without bone shield (and lets not forge the armor nerf...). And make the thrusters take longer to recharge, so kiting an onos isn't too easy (ie. you can't kite forever).

Plus one of the really big problems with the old exo train was the comm putting 4-5 MACs on an Exo to just keep healing it, making it almost impervious to anything but bile or a surprise onos attack. With the new way of only having 1 mac per weld target, that's impossible now.

Calego wrote: »
    @RaZDaZ‌

Bring back the old exo!

Plus one of the really big problems with the old exo train was the comm putting 4-5 MACs on an Exo to just keep healing it, making it almost impervious to anything but bile or a surprise onos attack. With the new way of only having 1 mac per weld target, that's impossible now.

I agree lots have changed that made the old Exo's OPness gone. I think we should think about how to restore this toy back to its former glory. The Exo train used to be the slowing moving wrecking ball, that has been reduced to a tin-can of walking meat. So what we are looking for is:

1. Exo with 15% more armor (HP)
    2. Jets that are multi-directional (but may need to tweak the recharge rate so you can't kite forever)
    3. 1 MAC per Exo only (already done)
    4. Non-beaconable
    5. less smoke and scan lines that make using the Exo hard.

I assume everyone is happy with the damage numbers as no one suggested any tweaks.

Ok, new Community Dev team, "make it happen".

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @RaZDaZ‌

Bring back the old exo!

I agree lots have changed that made the old Exo's OPness gone. I think we should think about how to restore this toy back to its former glory. The Exo train used to be the slowing moving wrecking ball, that has been reduced to a tin-can of walking meat. So what we are looking for is:

2. Jets that are multi-directional (but may need to tweak the recharge rate so you can't kite forever)
    4. Non-beaconable

I assume everyone is happy with the damage numbers as no one suggested any tweaks.

I don't really see a problem with scan lines and smoke. Just give it more hp and make it move slower. It's a goddamn tank, after all.
    @RaZDaZ‌

Bring back the old exo!

4. Non-beaconable

I don't really see a problem with scan lines and smoke. Just give it more hp and make it move slower. It's a goddamn tank, after all.

That was @Ironhorse 's suggestion. I don't use Exo enough to say one way or the other (about smoke and scan lines). I actually think the jets made Exos too powerful as they can kite a charging onos. I am actually in favor of making jets have limited use (eg. long recharge time), so you can't use this to kite life forms. i love the idea of an Exo as a Tank unit that stand their ground and really put out the hurt, so to take it down, you need to be coordinated.
    @RaZDaZ‌

Bring back the old exo!

4. Non-beaconable

That was @Ironhorse 's suggestion. I don't use Exo enough to say one way or the other (about smoke and scan lines). I actually think the jets made Exos too powerful as they can kite a charging onos. I am actually in favor of making jets have limited use (eg. long recharge time), so you can't use this to kite life forms. i love the idea of an Exo as a Tank unit that stand their ground and really put out the hurt, so to take it down, you need to be coordinated.

The scan lines are annoying but I'd like to see them as a toggleable option.

It might be worth trying to make the jets move in all directions but a shorter distance.
    I lost a fade to nade spam today :((
    It was my fault, went in hard on a skilled SG under nade fire, first mistake. Second mistake, panicked and retreated along the floor v.v
    Something else that could be considered to be on that list : Firing your gun no longer lowers your speed by 75% from your top speed.

Being a stationary target in combat is a poor trade off for 40 or 60 pres.
    You don't have to have zero penalty, but feeling like you are stuck in molasses when firing is just a combat nerf, plain and simple.
    That's the main reason the armor needs to be much higher than it is now. Without mobility in combat, you're playing differently from every other "class" in NS2 with the exception of Onos. Being forced to stand still and tank just feels different to start with, but then not having the armor required to sustain that tanking just makes it feel "wrong". All directional thrusters that move a short distance but can be fired say 3 times while sustaining fire would be interesting. It would be similar to marine combat with the jumping and aiming.
    edited May 2014
    Something else that could be considered to be on that list : Firing your gun no longer lowers your speed by 75% from your top speed.

Being a stationary target in combat is a poor trade off for 40 or 60 pres.
    You don't have to have zero penalty, but feeling like you are stuck in molasses when firing is just a combat nerf, plain and simple.

@IronHorse‌ I was gon say it, but you dun gon sayed it

Though on further contemplation I think if thrusters worked in 4 directions, the slow-down while firing would still be fine, and actually kind of cool. Like, you are slower while firing but you can still move quickly in a predictable fashion using your thrusters

Would make more sense for 'the tank' to not be able to strafe back-and-forth rapidly while firing, AND be able to boost a considerable distance to retreat or reposition (that's what jetpacks are for!). No onos would be able to compete 1-1 with that kind of movement speed and DPS.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Exo's make an excellent late game base defender, but its hard to get a player to stay in one spot on the off chance a few juicy gorges come in for a kicking.... I personally do this when I have the p-res and a commander has researched them.

I must also be the only person who's actually totally happy with the game right now ?
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I must also be the only person who's actually totally happy with the game right now ?

YES! Stop being so relentlessly cheerful and content, grandpa :D
    (dont stop)
    Exo's make an excellent late game base defender, but its hard to get a player to stay in one spot on the off chance a few juicy gorges come in for a kicking.... I personally do this when I have the p-res and a commander has researched them.

Well, I am actually happier with this game atm than ever before. But there's always something to improve. Exos. Stalemates. Gorge Webs!
    edited May 2014

Thing is, so is a standard issue shotgun. Also with a shotty you can still weld up things, build replacement buildings, etc.

Once I splurge on a cadillac, I'll want to take her for a spin around town. Not hang out in the parking lot.
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    Once I splurge on a cadillac, I'll want to take her for a spin around town. Not hang out in the parking lot.

So much truth in that analogy