Questions for a 6th Grader's Career Research Paper!!!

Hoth_SkullHoth_Skull Texas Join Date: 2014-05-16 Member: 196064Members
Hello! I am the mother of a 6th grade boy who is doing a research paper for school on a career that he is interested in. He chose Software Design/Graphic Design. He is supposed to interview one or more people in this field to get information to go along with other research he has done so he can write a paper. He LOVES this game so he wanted to chat here with anyone in this field who would like to take the time to answer any or all of his questions. Here are his questions:
1) What do you enjoy most about your job?
2) Where do you get your inspiration or ideas?
3) Has this career choice given you financial stability or job security? Can I support a family with this career?
4) If you were 11 again and knew your future in this field, what would you do differently to prepare?
5) What is the best school or the best major for this career? Someone told me that an art major would be better than a computer major.
6) Any other advice you would like to give me? Remember, I'm only 11...

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    You are a good parent.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    This needs an answer from Flayra himself.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    I don't know all of their names but if you find them out and put an @ so like @whateverusernamehere then it should get their attention.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I can't help you much with the questions, but I can say that it's a good idea to keep a digital copy of papers you write, never know when you might need it again. I had to write a college paper similar to this recently.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SteveRock wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend you become an orchestra musician no matter how much you loved playing cello, because that is not a viable career path as far as I know, but making games? Yeah, it's a healthy, exciting industry right now.

Orchestras tend to be rated in tiers. Cellists in top tier orchestras, like the New York Philharmonic, the Cleveland Orchestra or the San Francisco Symphony can earn a salary of up to $200,000 a year. The principal cellist in the orchestra might earn an even higher salary. Cellists for mid-tier orchestras, like the Columbus Symphony or Indianapolis Symphony, typically earn between $50,000 to $60,000 annually. Orchestral work is usually based on an eight-month season. If the ensemble plays during summer festivals, the musicians earn additional money.

The internet said it so it must be true!

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    CCTEE wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend you become an orchestra musician no matter how much you loved playing cello, because that is not a viable career path as far as I know, but making games? Yeah, it's a healthy, exciting industry right now.

Orchestras tend to be rated in tiers. Cellists in top tier orchestras, like the New York Philharmonic, the Cleveland Orchestra or the San Francisco Symphony can earn a salary of up to $200,000 a year. The principal cellist in the orchestra might earn an even higher salary. Cellists for mid-tier orchestras, like the Columbus Symphony or Indianapolis Symphony, typically earn between $50,000 to $60,000 annually. Orchestral work is usually based on an eight-month season. If the ensemble plays during summer festivals, the musicians earn additional money.

That may be, but you have to get a job in an orchestra first...
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer

Yup, this is actually pretty accurate. Certain orchestras are better and more prestigious than others (Vienna Phil, Frankfurt etc) and will 1. pay you well even if you are a low ranking player but they are also significantly harder to get into.

I don't think that striving to be a classical musician is actually a bad idea though as there are lots of low level jobs around the world which can lead to better jobs if you put the work in, and it is an incredibly skillful profession. Obviously, in any creative industry there are always more people trying to get jobs than there are jobs available but still...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Obviously, in any creative industry there are always more people trying to get jobs than there are jobs available but still...

That's because all humans are artists and working for a living is not part of our natural being. Working for the love it is what we should all be doing. The more of us trying, the better society will become.

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited May 2014

That may be, but you have to get a job in an orchestra first...

Meh I had the chance... no cello though. Now it looks like I should a done it for that money... at the Columbus symphony.

Edit-back to thread
  • Hoth_SkullHoth_Skull Texas Join Date: 2014-05-16 Member: 196064Members
    I want to thank you all for your comments. I am especially grateful for @SteveRock and @Obraxis for taking time out to give some great answers to my questions.

Thanks again! Anyone else in the field is welcome to add to the discussion.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    1) Freedom
    2) Watching people, then thinking lots
    3) Yes
    4) Study more maths
    5) Anything: The important thing is to do it well. Animation, economics, English literature, physics, engineering, computer engineering, finance... And avoid courses/schools identifying themselves specifically as for 'games'
    6) Study more maths
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    Play video games > Dead>> Respawn

Say : " I cant do like this as a child can do , Mistake and try is making our life great with unknow possibilty"
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ^ wins the internet for the day.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    also, entirely game related.

you younguns need to tone down the energy some.
    these old bones don't have the vim and vigor of youth any more.
    so, try not to get upset if we're a bit grumpy now and again.