NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    aeroripper wrote: »
    2) Being able to change the color of your player triangle on the main minimap. I always have to shake my mouse to find where I am sometimes, and having my own player triangle bright red (or some other color) would make it a lot easier to find it. The current white is a bit hard to see.
    I think subtly highlighting the room you're currently in would be handy. There should already be a room separation thingy thanks to power nodes, so it might be really easy to implement.

• MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Is it possible to have the minimap stay open permanently when 'toggle' is selected? It always closes when you die, and again whenever you evolve. It's always been a thing with NS2, but it'd be really helpful to not have to constantly hit C when dying/evolving just to toggle the map again and again.

A few other possible additions/ideas:

1) Not sure if its hard to implement, but being able to change the color of PG and Gorge Tunnel lines on the minimap would be handy too.

2) Being able to change the color of your player triangle on the main minimap. I always have to shake my mouse to find where I am sometimes, and having my own player triangle bright red (or some other color) would make it a lot easier to find it. The current white is a bit hard to see.

Is 1) for specs? Because they are the only ones that can see both at the same time...

About 2... the arrow is not white, it's the color of the team (blue/orange). I can look into it, though.
    With the mods you have already done to insight. Would it be possible to make it that spectators have a highlighted mines? an outline or even a health bar would be sweet to have for them.
    All dropped weapons should show up I guess, not just mines, I was thinking about that because you see gorges biling nothing from top down when they're destroying weapons. I'll take a look.
    Fiskbit wrote: »
    Came to post about the phase gate lines, which I just discovered and really appreciate. Unfortunately, I can't find a setting for it that I really like. The animation is fast enough for it to be pretty distracting, so a setting to control the animation speed could be really nice. The direction of the arrows is also really hard to see, particularly because the arrow is in the middle of the lines instead of at the front.

I think the line style I would most like to see would be the standard solid phase gate line, but with a single arrow at the end showing which way the line goes. Players will normally be looking at the gates, anyway, and not the lines in between, so it puts the information right where it needs to be and prevents any ambiguity.

An unrelated suggestion: How about a feature to make the tech progress icons in commander view stay up even when the map is up? This is already how it works in spectate mode, so it's a little baffling that it disappears in commander view.

I don't think that an arrow at the end can be read as quickly as the animated stuff which allows you to see direction immediatly at a glance (origin, destination and direction). On the other hand the line textures/arrows were a quick mockup to test the feature, so I'd like to replace them at some point with something that isn't my awful art.
    I don't think the phase gate lines are meant to do this?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=260287551

Do what? I can't see anything wrong, am I missing something?
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    How about not showing any arrows or animations when there are only two pgs? It's kind of pointless to do so.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Res cost on medpacks/ammo would be great to show in the spectator stats as well.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sounds great Mendasp. I think it will help Commanders monitor what works and what doesn't when trying to medpack.
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would be more interested in commander stats that support the decision making while playing a round. For example there could be a percentage displayed somewhere, which tells the comm how much of his res income he has spent for meds vs. how much for structures vs. tech advancement in the last x minutes. Sometimes it is hard to keep track of the economical game while making tactical decisions, so some feedback mechanisms for that would be cool I think.

For alien commanders there could be some useful info as well. Res spent for support {like mist, drfiter abilities} vs. structures {crag, shift, whip, shade} vs. upgrades.

Just in case you get bored :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    A tangent of CmdrKeen's words there, awhile ago I was thinking how nice it would be to have the tab screen score board have other uses. It already blocks most view, and you have little use to look at it most of the time. What if we could see some information there that one did not need to look at often as one would need to look at a map.

Maybe some statistics like CmdrKeen mentioned. Maybe some non cheating insight information. I can' t think of much right now.
  • WellWell Join Date: 2006-10-04 Member: 58054Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Mendasp, thx for commander click.

Problems:
    * Some times I forget reload pistol.
    * With autopickup option I cant see new weapons (mines, welder, e.t.c) if pickup it with "minimal gui" option.

Could you add new option:
    Always show current weapons (without a hand-held) and show ammo for all weapon types (pistol, mines, nades and e.t.c.)
    May be do different colors for ammo indicator if full/not-full loaded weapons (red-green).
    weapons_indicator.png
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Mendasp wrote: »
    - If the medpack is picked up within 0.1 seconds of dropping it counts as a hit.

Looking forward to commander stats. However, sometimes I drop a medpack or two next to a marine if they are doing something valuable to the team but I don't have time to watch over them until they are done. That would count as a miss but it was intended not to hit.

• WellWell Join Date: 2006-10-04 Member: 58054Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2014

On the animated setting, there aren't any arrows, just faded lines.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer

There's two animated settings: Animated lines and animated arrows.

There's two animated settings: Animated lines and animated arrows.

Oh I'm sorry, I missed that memo :P

Thanks man
    Are they only visible to the marine comm?
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Are they only visible to the marine comm?

Yes.
    Would you consider making them visible to all players?
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    One commander QoL change I'd love to see from CompMod or NS2+ is an improvement in the way meds & ammo drop. It's annoying the number of times I've had a marine die after a medpack drops onto a mesh in the ceiling above them.
    Mouse wrote: »
    One commander QoL change I'd love to see from CompMod or NS2+ is an improvement in the way meds & ammo drop. It's annoying the number of times I've had a marine die after a medpack drops onto a mesh in the ceiling above them.

Isn't that a mapping issue?

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Largely; the medpacks are landing on meshes that have collision and haven't been hidden from the commander.
    But it'd be nice if dropped medpacks, as well as being picked up when a marine walks on/near them, were picked up when a marine walks underneath them.
  • CmdrKeenCmdrKeen Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185321Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Maybe it could be implemented in a way that the drops just spawn on the ground - skipping the dropping through the airspace. So no collision needs ever be calculated but just determined if there is floor or not.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Then you can't drop meds on boxes etc. that's a whole can of worms @CmdrKeen. I think @Mouse suggestion is very sound.
    edited May 2014
    Mouse wrote: »
    Largely; the medpacks are landing on meshes that have collision and haven't been hidden from the commander.
    But it'd be nice if dropped medpacks, as well as being picked up when a marine walks on/near them, were picked up when a marine walks underneath them.
    I actually made them work like that when I was making the ammo follow the weapons because of a bug that appeared when testing that made them float if you picked up the weapon mid air. I ended up just moving the ammo pack to the floor, which results in pickup anyways.

Interestingly enough, before I could do anything @kmg has already contributed the code that ignores the Y axis, so expect that next patch.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    @kmg has already contributed the code that ignores the Y axis

which won't completely solve this problem, but should improve it quite a bit. for example if you're dropping meds at an angle because your mouse / the marine are near the edge of your screen then it can land on top of geometry which is not directly above your intended target, and what's more your marine is unlikely to see the medpack if it's on top of the map.

that being said, a couple very common scenarios are solved by this, the probably the most important of which being the sub access problem. if aliens start sub access they'll sometimes have both upgrades and a harvester in the pit underneath the bridge in sub access. a number of times i've gone down there to hunt upgrades just to have my commander yell at me that he can't med me underneath that bridge. you'd think i'd learn, but this change should more or less solve that problem. also sometimes you'll see commanders accidentally drop ammo packs on top of harvesters where marines can't get them unless the harvester dies. if you don't have much res in the first place, this can make a difference. anyway, you should now be able to pick up those packs.
    kmg wrote: »
    @kmg has already contributed the code that ignores the Y axis

which won't completely solve this problem, but should improve it quite a bit. for example if you're dropping meds at an angle because your mouse / the marine are near the edge of your screen then it can land on top of geometry which is not directly above your intended target, and what's more your marine is unlikely to see the medpack if it's on top of the map.

that being said, a couple very common scenarios are solved by this, the probably the most important of which being the sub access problem. if aliens start sub access they'll sometimes have both upgrades and a harvester in the pit underneath the bridge in sub access. a number of times i've gone down there to hunt upgrades just to have my commander yell at me that he can't med me underneath that bridge. you'd think i'd learn, but this change should more or less solve that problem. also sometimes you'll see commanders accidentally drop ammo packs on top of harvesters where marines can't get them unless the harvester dies. if you don't have much res in the first place, this can make a difference. anyway, you should now be able to pick up those packs.
    But the bridge in sub is invisible to commanders and has been for a long time... Your commander has been lying to you!
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2014
    Another addition (that would be much more useful than my last ideas to everybody in general)

1) Separate sliders for marine/alien mouse sensitivities. This used to be in an old (SamusDroid?) mod, but I don't think its around or works anymore. Would love to see this in NS2+. I know a lot of the more experienced players would appreciate this.
    Mendasp, could you add (vertical bottom and horisontal center) for spectate in third-person mode - "health/armor/upgrades/weapons/ammo/unlocked LF abilities" by text (or icons) for players?
    This is information duplicated information, but it's more usable for spectators which follow the selected player.
    Thanks.
    Another addition (that would be much more useful than my last ideas to everybody in general)

1) Separate sliders for marine/alien mouse sensitivities. This used to be in an old (SamusDroid?) mod, but I don't think its around or works anymore. Would love to see this in NS2+. I know a lot of the more experienced players would appreciate this.

When I played with seperate senses, I created a bind to switch it. I think it was the command "bind F6 setsensitivity 3.33". Maybe it still works?