The tick's battleground, future changes, suggestions, and admin recruitment

the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
Hey guys,

As some of you might know I host 2 servers called the tick's battleground.

Now recently the popularity has increased a lot. especially on server #2, which is open for everyone. Unfortunately the massive sudden expansion has also given me some issues at the moment.

First, the amount of admins I currently have is to adminster one server, not 2. Therefore I am currently having 4 open slots for admins on server #2 only

1 morning shift admin ( europe time )
1 afternoon shift admin (europe time)
2 nightshift admins (preferrably for the united states) The server is full atm till about 6 / 7 am.

As an admin you receive a reserved slot, admin rights, and you will be part of a great social admin group.

The requirements for an admin are,
- act mature,
- willing to put in energy to adminster the server.
- be able to speak english fluently.
- preferrably already be a regular on the server.

There is a screening process in place to see if you are fit to join our club, also, you will be provided with a training on how to enforce the server policy's

Suggestions

At the moment the Idea is to increase the playtime requirement up steadily to 50 hours, instead of the 20 hour requirement there is now.

Server #2 will remain a rookie friendly server where unexperienced people and new people to the game are able to learn the game. Also I want to include a guide on the MOTD page where new players can gain information about the game and how it works. (the learning curve of NS2 remains high)

A forum is needed, so people can place comments, post suggestions, and report players who behave innapropiately. This will also be included on the website, which I will develop further in the near future.

A stricter rule list is going to be introduced, with a clear description on the rules and what action is going to be taken if you break the rules.

I am wondering if anyone has some idea's where the server can be improved.

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    What's the tick rate?

Heh, heh (corny i know)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have played on the server every so often (I am in Australia). It isn't bad. Late game, sometimes can be a little laggy, but I am in Australia, so that is to be expected. It is actually a really decent server to play on. @the_tick thanks for the server. Thumbs up.
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    tickrate is at 30 99+% of the time really, when there are more then 1250 objects in one game it starts up a little. But most of those situations are endgame scenario's where the game is over anyways. Which I find acceptable and doesn't affect gameplay that much.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I have to comment on whatever cysting changes you've got going on... Really, really, REALLY annoying. You cannot auto-cyst, and placing cysts one-by-one is counter-intuitive because of the change in distance between them. Cant tell you how many cysts/res I saw just get wasted immediately after the start of a round due to this. At least 3 - 4 on each side which equals at least one drifter or harvester. And this happens several times in a game... it adds up.

Also, IMO 4 minutes is an unnecessarily long time to wait for the other team to comm up. I've seen it go 4 min a couple times already w/ out people getting in chair, then the team complains they had no comm. This turns into either an over-drawn romp or a reset which leads to the same circumstance. Just ends up being a longer waste of time. I'd say 1 - 2 minutes would be more appropriate (at the MAX).
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    Alright, the cyst thiny was a temporary bug, that happened due to a new version of the mod implementation of the balance mod I set up this morning, But I went to work today so I didn't had a chance to fix that,

About the 4 minutes, yeah I know it's a bit long, Thought I changed it to 3 minutes at some point. But I will have a look at it tomorrow, thx for the info :)

I rather have a good game launched from start rather then a game that starts without a comm on one side, that will only cause more issues, especially when there is no admin around that can reset the game, And no, the vote reset stays disabled due to regular abuse of it. ( abuse in the form, game is halway and the vote gets passed and resets the game)

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Thx for reply, glad to hear cyst thing has been fixed. Was very annoying. Yeah I have seen other servers w/ the countdown once a comm jumps in, just seems like 4's a bit long. I do like the fact that it stops the countdown if a commander hops out, though.

Cheers!