Natural Selection 2 Kodiak Update - Natural Selection 2

1234568»

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    It might just be my imgination, but I think I have seen an uptick in the number of server crashes lately. Of course, I have no repro steps, and no logs for you so I'm just going to pen it down to coincidence and try to ignore it for now :P
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    I have disabled ns2+ because of the huge amount of crashes it is causing, maybe it's some kind of incompatability with my balance mod, but I actually have less crashes then I had in 264, haven't had a crash in 3 days...
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the_tick wrote: »
    I have disabled ns2+ because of the huge amount of crashes my balance mod causes due to compatibility issues in my code, but I actually have less crashes then I had in 264, haven't had a crash in 3 days...

I fixed your post. While it could be NS+, odds are all on you.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Agreed.. NS2+ causes no issues in 6v6 games running the Competitive Balance Mod and many others mods I've seen it run along side with..

So my bets are on your mod unfortunately.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is your server on linux tick? I'm also having crashing problems with servers running NS2+, Shine, Shine NS2Stats. Nothing of any real note in the logs.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's because you put Linux in the server name Jekt.....
    edited May 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @the_tick‌ you're also running a custom alien vision mod, which is a terrible idea for a server for the following 4 reasons:
    1) vanilla ns2 allows players to run custom vision mods anyway
    2) ns2+ makes provision for several popular vision mods if you're worried about the possibility of someone hacking (?! rly?)
    3) forcing aliens to use one specific alien vision is just bad. especially when that alien vision has no default outlines like in vanilla, so new players miss lots of marines because they don't know they have to use alien vision on all the time to see anything at all.
    4) possible compatibility concerns of having multiple av mods both client and server side.

ns2+ is absolutely a requirement in my view. The benefits it brings to players and servers alike is indispensable.

I totally disagree with you there, ns2+ is a nice addition, but a lot of people don't even notice the custom options in the menu when they connect to your server, and they will end up playing with the default alien vision. Which 99% agree's Sucks harder then chuck norris can ever do.
    - Why would I want to run ns2+ (and I have tested it twice on build 265 now) if it crashes every second mapchange?
    - 95% of the ppl want to use uke's, 1% wants to use the orange vanilla blurr, because something is wrong with their brain... ( when are they going to change that?) , well for those people I say, go find another server if you don't like it. Uke's is stable, works fine, and gives everyone the same advantages and disadvantages.
    - Most of the other functions in ns2+ are cosmetic really, and I don't see added value why that should be mandatory. (colored weapons, accuracy stats upon death, minor improvements command view etc etc)

Very simple, Tick's balance mod > ns2+ because Tick's balance mod affects balance and gameplay... Look, if there is someone here that can help me out and make the 2 mods work together without issues I am more then happy to implement ns2+

Locklear wrote: »
    Agreed.. NS2+ causes no issues in 6v6 games running the Competitive Balance Mod and many others mods I've seen it run along side with..

So my bets are on your mod unfortunately.

People asked what the cause could be, and I gave my experience with the crashes in build 265, nothing more.

Jekt wrote: »
    Is your server on linux tick? I'm also having crashing problems with servers running NS2+, Shine, Shine NS2Stats. Nothing of any real note in the logs.

My server is running on windows 7 enterprise

• RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2014
    You forgot the picking behaviour of weapon in NS2+, and just for that, you should install NS2+.

If a server do not have NS2+ it's simple, I do not play on it. It is the same for texture cheats.
    But Roobubba's point is still valid concerning Alien Vision, let the choice to the users to choose their own vision. Moreover you already have the choice in NS2+, so it's redundant.

And if the people do not notice, you could just tell them like with a Motd or a simple message.

Try to disable your mod (and others) separately, and you'll probably have your answer and know how to fix your crashes.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    well for those people I say, go find another server if you don't like it. Uke's is stable, works fine, and gives everyone the same advantages and disadvantages.
    While it's definitely the best/ most attractive, remember it does give the 'border' bug, and the 'viewmodels are suddenly too close to see the ammo counter' bug.
    Your reasoning behind forcing people to use it on your server is terrible- choice should always be the default option.

All I ever see is you justifying your poor decisions with 'herp derp people still play my server' -
    You really are a tick, but instead of feeding on blood you feed off of ignorance.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    :-t OK this should be stopped before it starts. If people start talking like this on this subject, it'll turn into that kkg server thread that was a shit-throwing contest (shit, I got banned for a while in it lol). The shit is in your hands now, tick. Make your choice wisely. [-O<
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Tick's balance mod > ns2+ because Tick's balance mod affects balance and gameplay...

Lol. Ns2+ boosts framerate utilizing nsl lights, adds tons of QoL fixes for commanders and field players alike. (If you've actually used the mod, you will know what I'm referring too.) I can barely see the logic behind your silly argument aside from it-doesn't-like-my-mod-code.
    You know what, you guys can't even empathize on what a player without in deapth knowledge of all the mods, all the functions,

So yes you say, just add it to the MOTD, yeah, let's make it wall of spam with instructions on where to find everything, how to change everything that really helps...

josshh, you clearly have no idea what my mod does, and how it affects gameplay. you're an ignorant person, and as you might have not read, I am more then happy to implement ns2+ if it works without crashing my server every hour.

I am not a programmer, I am a systems administrator, and building mods is not my fortay, As you should know 14 vs 14 on a NS2 server is just broken without major changes to the gameplay. My server, despite it's size, is balanced on both sides and removes the annoyances out of the game where other large servers are suffering from.

Anyhow, for the people asking, why do you force people an alien vision, because the default is nothing more then an orange blurr and most people don't even know how adding mods works, let alone add alien visions to their list. hence, I choose what the most mainstream is and where most players can find peace with it. And that one complaint I have a month about the alien vision. So be it.

I know there is a border bug with uke's, and most people don't find it annoying, the range is still quite good and should only be an annoyance in some minor situations.

The second server will never have NS2+ on it, simply because it is rookie friendly and they don't even know what ns2+ is.

If you think I am wrong, so be it, but the popularity of the servers I am running says otherwise. And again, like I said, the only thing I had given as an input is that ns2+ has given me problems in build 265, it's been tested twice, same result and I am not blaming poor programming of ns2+ as a reason, there are many variables on why a server could crash.

If you want to discuss alien vision on my server, please do so in an appropiate topic and in an appropiate manner on a server discussion forum, and not here.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    rantology wrote: »
    its... his server? why are people railing on him for what he wants to do with HIS server ?

Of course he's free to do what he wants. That does not save him from being criticized for his opinions, though.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Let he who has never made a bad choice criticize, everyone else....
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    Let he who has never made a bad choice criticize, everyone else....

It is easier to see another persons faults than ones own. His server his choice. It is popular, but maybe it could be more popular. Who knows.
    And again, like I said, more then hapy to implement ns2+ if I can get the 2 mods together, on the servers are playing a lot of people at the moment. I know, but I am not a modder, I don't know a lot about coding and programming. I've gotten this mod build for me for a big part, and made some modifications to it, thats all.

But the only thing you guys can do is criticize, while I am running one of the most popular ns2 communities out there, without many complaints and a lot of positive reactions, I never ignore the ones, but I only have one server, and a lot of people with unique preferences.

both mods are on the steam workshop, My mod isn't that complex, just a few lua files that have been modified. But I do demand it over an alien vision, since it fixes some of the most annoying balance issues on a server with a large player count.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    But the only thing you guys can do is criticize

Well... yeah. What else should we/they do?

And I don't understand what you want to say about alien vision in your post.
  • alf90alf90 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold
    ns2+ I can live without, sure its better to have it, but it's not a massive issue.

Admittedly I don't play on your server that much, a bit big for my preference, but when I do I am surprised at how good performance is and despite the size there isn't too much spam, overall the games I have played on the server are actually pretty good.

But god damn uke's vision mod, y u do dis???
    All it does is replace too much orange with too much green, and at least default works fine when turned off because it still outlines marines and structures, whereas with uke's it is either your world is green or nothing.

Using uke's is the single worst thing about your server, if you must replace default AV with a modded AV, please consider using huze's.

P.s dis derail tho

• RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    No one listened to my post... well, tick, you chose to throw the shit back. Now the shit show is official!
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    IronHorse with the realtalk.

You should attempt to make NS2+ work on your server simply for the FPS boost and QoL fixes that it has.

Those alone are a good enough reason.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    while I am running one of the most popular ns2 communities out there, without many complaints and a lot of positive reactions,
    It's like you didn't read those two bullet points I highlighted? :( .. I made them all shiny just for you.