Subnautica Instagram - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageSubnautica Instagram - Subnautica

All the cool kids are on Instagram these days – And naturally, we want the cool kids to play Subnautica. Because we want to be cool. Please can we be cool? Anyway, Subnautica development is now on Instagram, so if you are already using this insta-photo-blogging-thingy to follow Justin Bieber (Is that what Instagram is for?), you will probably enjoy seeing behind the scenes of Subnautica’s development. Though, we don’t tend to get arrested as much. Instagram is, interestingly, a great tool for showing off in-development games. Because the fidelity is low, we can be more comfortable about posting in-progress stuff without it coming back to bite us in future (as happened with NS2). Look closely through this …

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to have a robot make magics and form a comment thread
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I want the Dolphin Gorge Now!!!!!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Thanks for this. It's interesting to see how development is going.

I very much enjoyed being allowed to see into the pre-release NS2 development process, and would be sad if the bad taste from post-NS2-release hampered UWs openness during pre-release development of Subnautica. I'm still hoping that there will be pseduo-weekly Subnautica dev updates (especially on the technical side), even if you limit them somewhat in scope.

P.S. I perceived very little "bite" before NS2 was officially released (1.0). It was only after this that people's expectations and sentiment changed.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Racer1 wrote: »
    sad if the bad taste from post-NS2-release hampered UWs openness

It's not a bad taste, more a recognition of an inescapable truth. Throughout NS2's pre and post launch period, commentators were consistently referring to alpha stage screenshots and videos. For example, youtubers repeatedly using alpha gameplay in their post launch gameplay impression videos, and many major news sites putting up that same ancient alpha rifle promo screenshot for launch reviews.

The fact is, the internet doesn't check how hold a game screenshot or gameplay video is. They just use what's to hand. We aren't going to let this happen with Subnautica, so we will be much more careful about revealing SN screenshots and gameplay videos.

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Sounds good. I didn't realize that was a problem.

P.S. Why not add a prominent subtitle displayed in-game so any screenshots/videos (whether official or otherwise) would say something like "Pre-Alpha - May 2014"? I know people are dense, but hopefully they would realize that those reviews are out of date.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @Hugh‌
    Would such a thing not be partially solved by stamping a watermark like 'Subnautica PreAlpha' in the released vids and screens?
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    @Hugh‌
    Would such a thing not be partially solved by stamping a watermark like 'Subnautica PreAlpha' in the released vids and screens?

Although it's too small to be readable on screenshots and videos that are not full-sized, NS2 still has the mark and it didn't stop anyone.
  • Shaun HooksShaun Hooks Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67753Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yo,
    any info on future funding on the game?
    Backed NS2 like 6 years ago when the first funding was asked. And you guys do such a great job, I would gladly do that again for your future projects.
    Like, the only kickstarting I never regretted (and that before kickstarting even started!)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Yo,
    Backed NS2 like 6 years ago when the first funding was asked. And you guys do such a great job, I would gladly do that again for your future projects.
    Like, the only kickstarting I never regretted (and that before kickstarting even started!)
    There will definitely be info on this in the next few months, so stay tuned :)
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Yo,
    There will definitely be info on this in the next few months, so stay tuned :)
    I hear it will involve golden tickets hidden inside of Alienware PCs.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    Great screenies on instagram, thx! :-bd
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    I don't see any problem with holding screenshots close to the dev team. Showing off ugly stuff can turn people off even if it is alpha/beta. Just make it good and put up a pre-order on steam so I can give you my money already.
    Darakian wrote: »
    put up a pre-order on steam so I can give you my money already.

It's so awesome to hear you say this @Darakian! Thoughts on pre-orders at the moment... http://www.gameaperture.com/2014/06/subnautica-pre-orders-or-not.html
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    That's cool too. I look forward to it none the less.