Question about a bug, want to report an issue or what's being worked on? Ask away!

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I haven't been paying much attention to this thread. I don't know if anything has been said about skulk sounds yet but that is my question. Are loud skulks going to be modified officially?

A friend and I were discussing it. I was thinking they wouldn't if they haven't already. He thought they were going to in b265.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @james888‌
    Should be fixed for next patch.
    It should have gone in the hotfix, but its a long explanation of why.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    In the most recent build, I keep getting stuck in "meatgrinder" pgs, because of the skulks blocking everything, resulting in me being unable to move. This was never an issue before; I usually was able to jump/run/fly out. Is this
    a) An intentional or unintentional change?
    b) A change at all? (= Am I hallucinating here?)
    c) Going to be fixed?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @F0rdPrefect‌
    This is reported, yeah.
    Its a bug.
    Was reported september 13th, 2013, normal priority
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    In the most recent build, I keep getting stuck in "meatgrinder" pgs, because of the skulks blocking everything, resulting in me being unable to move. This was never an issue before; I usually was able to jump/run/fly out. Is this
    a) An intentional or unintentional change?
    b) A change at all? (= Am I hallucinating here?)
    c) Going to be fixed?

Skulks got smarter? Idk... I thought this is/was working as intended. Don't leave your phase gates unguarded or this can happen.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    for quite some versions, i have a bug which will let my first attack-click be ignored sometimes. it seems to be present when respawning but sometimes also after evolving. to be a bit more precise: even if i keep the mouse pressed for a longer time, no attack will happen. this has never happened in any other game i played yet and there's definately a pattern to it, so i figure it's an ns2 issue.

the bug might appear quite minor when reading it (click again, then it works), but i've already lost an onos (and countless other lifeforms, mostly skulks though) due to this by forgetting to attack randomly right after spawning/evolving. really, nothing is as confusing as the game not responding to a certain input. it will distract me and screw with my movement (and obviously prevent my initial attack), all while being in melee range with at least one marine... and it always makes me feel like an idiot to die like this :)

it might be only happening on the alien side, but i'm not entirely sure. is this a known bug? if not, i will try to figure out the details of occurence. still, if other people don't encounter it at all then i have no idea what exactly might be the reason behind it. the only thing i can think of is that my fps are sometimes low in combat, but the bug will even happen right after spawning and when theres not much going on nearby.
    @Laosh'Ra‌
    That is definitely not reported, you should make a tech support thread in those forums to diagnose the issue
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    @Loash'Ra I'll just re-iterate what IronHorse said: that's the first I've heard of it, so please make a support thread. If you can record video of it happening that would help tremendously.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it intentional that Marine players (sometimes?) see hallucinations in bright purple on their map? I though the point was that they should be as indistinguishable as possible?

(I asked this in the "Build 264 now live on Steam" thread, but got no answer there.)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    MrFangs wrote: »
    Is it intentional that Marine players (sometimes?) see hallucinations in bright purple on their map? I though the point was that they should be as indistinguishable as possible?

(I asked this in the "Build 264 now live on Steam" thread, but got no answer there.)

You got no answer because you asked in the "Build 264 now live on Steam".

No that is not intentional.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    it might actually be related to some server-side mods like ns2+ or w/e, ill check wether i encounter it on a true vanilla server or not.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    edited May 2014
    Here's a bug: If you sprint with either a hand grenade (any type) or a rifle equipped, and then take off in a jetpack before releasing sprint, it will play the sprint-jump animation the entire time you're in the air (instead of the standard weapons-ready view).

It's barely noticeable with the rifle, but with a hand-grenade, because the sprint jump animation is the same as the sprint animation, it looks like you're sprinting while flying through the air.

I have tested all of the equippable weapons. However, I forgot to check if nanoshield or catpacks somehow make a difference.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Is this the bug report thread? My current bind (mousewheel up) for evolve last upgrades has not been working since the patch. Tested with all mods off.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2014
    I found a bug that is fairly easy to reproduce:
    Noticed it few builds ago, but I though that it might be PGP related, I only did that thing during PGP, but now that I tested it on empty server...

*snip* Removed possible exploit
    Next time pm me something that can crash a server. Thanks though
  • belliombelliom UK Join Date: 2014-04-29 Member: 195661Members
    Anyone getting a bug where when NS2 starts and you go to Server Browser you can't click on anything? Mouse moves around fine but nothing is clickable.
    edited May 2014
    @belliom‌
    We have heard about it occurring but we are unable to reproduce it, so it is currently not reported. We need people like you who experience it to help gather that data.
    Feel free to start a thread in the tech support forums if you are willing.
  • derfyderfy Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164630Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did a search but didn't find anything here or in the Google doc.

Sometimes whips will not attack structures. Sometimes they do but do no (apparent, no floating numbers) damage.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    I have a question sir .... for many newbies that want play NS2

Next patch update... there will be Match making 100% work base on skill like CSGO ?
    Thanks and hope there is "gold comment" :D
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    derfy wrote: »
    Did a search but didn't find anything here or in the Google doc.

Sometimes whips will not attack structures. Sometimes they do but do no (apparent, no floating numbers) damage.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134531/bug-report-whips-sometimes-don-t-deal-dmg#latest
  • derfyderfy Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164630Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ok, cool. Didn't see that. Any ETA on a fix? 'Possible'...'would like to fix'...'not soon'?
    Possible...would like to fix...not soon
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    edited May 2014
    Somehow my account from 2003 vanished, so this is new.

Ugly server crash (had hoped it'd be fixed in 265..):

Description:
    - Server process does not exit
    - Network traffic on the server goes towards 0 and stays like that
    - CPU usage random spazzes about for server.exe
    (Detail: The Core where most CPU time was used during normal operation goes towards 0)
    - All players get red plug and client times out.
    - Server browser reports server as active, with the last playercount/performance value as right before crash
    (Detail: When "Filter Empty" is checked, the server appears for a second then disappears; When unchecked it's visible.
    If you open the server details, it shows it as if everything was fine. And counts each players connection time continuously)
    - Some official servers have remained like that for weeks, as nobody would manually reset them.

Appearance:
    - I've personally seen it happen on servers from 8 - 42 players
    - Modded, unmodded, or official are all the exact same. Several community members can confirm this.
    - Servers with webadmin active or not, all the same.
    - The logs show nothing out of the ordinary, neither does the console.

Reproducability:
    - None so far.
    - It happens every now and then. Sometimes 3 times a day, sometimes not for 4 days.
    - It appears to happen only when there's considerable activity (unlike for example right after mapcycle)
    while at the same time it's not related to extreme load, high entity counts, etc.
    - Round time ranges from very few minutes to long games
    - Fairly sure i've never seen before or after a round. Only during rounds :(

Relief efforts:
    - Server console: You can press q, but nothing happens even if you wait.
    If you press CRTL-C however, sometimes immediately, sometimes with a considerable delay.
    It will write something about memory leaks and actually exit.
    - If you do nothing, it will stay like this forever.
    - It needs to be manually closed and restarted, there is no workaround.

In my opinion this crash appears to affect only one server thread, the main one.
    That would explain why the cpu usage of that thread/core goes down, while the other(s) spazz about and why the clients do not

get another network packet but the status request (server browser) side still responds.

This issue has been around for a good while now.

I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to find a way to detect this type of crash/server state so that it can be terminated, to no avail. I would like to ask for a fix, even if everything else remains unfixed.
    This bug is very likely already known to you, but if you need further info, i'd be happy to assist.
    Thanks for reading.

Continued at forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134813/server-hangs-yet-server-exe-does-not-terminate?new=1
    Thank you for that awesome detailed report @ATF‌ !
    What was your old user name? I can resurrect it.

No promises on getting a fix pushed out, even if we do manage to narrow it down / reproduce it, due to current engine developer resources.
    BUT I'd still very much like to continue diagnosing this issue in hopes that if we find the exact culprit it can justify a small time frame to fix and therefore would be more likely to get patched.

Would you mind reposting all this information in a new tech support forum thread for us to continue in? Thx

Some questions for you when you post there :

Have you tried running server pLogs to capture it?
    Have you ever attempted to make a 64 bit dump while the server is "hanging"? (this would provide a gigantic file, but would give the most efficient / clear indicator of the culprit, and the quickest way for a dev to fix)
    Please do these things with zero mods active, of course, just to prevent any influence.

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @IronHorse‌ any luck reproducing THAT nade crash bug using female model? I'm really curious, because it never happens to me as male and always as female, and I want to know if it is just me (i.e. my system, PC, config), or is NS bug.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Is this the bug report thread? My current bind (mousewheel up) for evolve last upgrades has not been working since the patch. Tested with all mods off.

Would appreciate an update on this.
    edited June 2014
    This is, essentially @Aeglos‌
    Its a place where you can ask what is being worked on, mostly, which is replaced by our now public trello board https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker

But you can still report things here or in a PM to any of us on the CDT, including myself.

I'll mention that bug and investigate further

@xen32‌ I MANAGED TO CRASH IT!! woo hoo.. female model was the trick. very interesting. thanks
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    In build 266 ready room "team" have team resources on the scoreboard. Probably known already but I haven't read about it anywhere.
  • slizzeredslizzered Germany Join Date: 2014-05-31 Member: 196317Members
    Is anybody currently working on this: Balanced skill system?
    The thread got a lot of approval and activity in February/March, and people were working to put it into the game. But then the responsible dev was pulled to work on another, more important project...

If this actually works, it might not only reduce pub-stomping for stats (since the stat benefit would be minimal), but could also replace the current ELO shuffle system.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    I think comunity dev will take a look at skill system balance
    edited June 2014
    @slizzered‌ @Goliath Vietnam
    Yes. :)
    https://trello.com/c/9r7Le7Aj/251-implement-new-skill-system

Edit:

This thread is basically now irrelevant considering the CDT now publicly shows what we are working on!!
    You can even vote on the issues you care about most.

But should you ever need to contact or report a bug, you may do so here. :)

https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker