problem getting ns2 to complete optimization in order to play

marshmallowmarshmallow Join Date: 2010-11-04 Member: 74749Members, Reinforced - Diamond
Hi folks, having a major problem since the latest update was released unfortunately. Once I get to the optimization of NS2 through steam in-game, it will not complete and I've had several errors from varying logs. I've tried cleaning up, re-installing, updating c++. cleaning up with revo uninstaller after uninstalling everything and I'm getting no joy at all. I can't find a logical explanation or solution to this problem since the update. I logged 455hrs of NS2 on a perfectly stable system up until now. It's a personal build from components purchased online a few years ago now. Ran full virus scan/malware scan/ccleaner reg scans, my system is kept clean on a weekly basis as is and updated regularly.

Running W7 64bit F.edition version 6.1.7601
Intel i7 870 @ stock 2.93Ghz (never overclocked anything at any point)
8Gb Ram (mis step when I purchased system 4 slots x2GB to be corrected in the near future)
G.Skill 120GB SSD and a couple of W.D 1TB externals on usb 3.0
Asus P7P55DE MB
Via onboard sound provided by the MB for the time being.
Geforce GTX 460 driver version 9.18.13.3523 and am running NS2 through dx9 with no prior problems whatsoever. Any other games have run perfectly also with no hiccups.
Comodo AV and firewall are active and running. Game mode changes nothing, the game used to run fine with it even after their interface had changed.

I am not subscribed to any mods through steam, I used to have several games but NS2 is the only steam game installed since this system was built. I have tried everything mentioned in the forums for the past few days and can't make a breakthrough anywhere, this is a tough nut to crack. In one of my logs, I got an error msg that I could not connect to steam but was connected to steam and within NS2 but unable to launch a game as the optimization process would drop me back to NS2 telling me it could not connect to the server.

A log and my techsupport file is attached. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out of this mess and get me back to gaming. It's been a long few days and I feel like the time would be better spent on a reformat at this stage.

I haven't tried kodiak yet as I can't get NS2 to run at all bar looking at the welcome screen and being unable to join a server. I can browse servers fine, see how many players there are etc. but no joy at all.

me.zip 132.4K

Comments

• Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    dont click Optimize , just play it

Its buggy for the moment, UWE will try fix it

While you Precache loading game , firts time may slow (5 minute) but later will be fast
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Odd that dxdiag finds no info about your CPU or Nvidia driver etc??
    Makes me think your DirectX installation is borked.
    System Manufacturer: n/a
    System Model: n/a
    BIOS: n/a
    Processor: n/a (8 CPUs)

Please right click NS2 in steam, and go to properties > Set launch options > type "-verbose" without those quotes.

Now have the optimization process fail and immediately upload that new log.
    There's just not enough info here to go on.. though i am worried that is part of the problem, like a corrupt DX installation (which, has happened to me before)

Also be sure to try these:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/846963165476902229/
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/846963165426276176/#c846963165435339135
  • marshmallowmarshmallow Join Date: 2010-11-04 Member: 74749Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited May 2014
    Here you are IronHorse, will check out those other two threads in the meantime, thanks. Goliath, I get the same problem if I attempt to join a server by skipping the optimization process. [edit] no joy from those threads either unfortunately[/edit]
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Damn, that log isn't showing anything crashing or having issues.

I am going to suggest that your DX installation really needs to be reviewed, considering your DirectX installation doesnt recognize your CPU or GPU drivers...
    We need to fix that before continuing, really.. in order to rule it out as the cause of your issues.
  • marshmallowmarshmallow Join Date: 2010-11-04 Member: 74749Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Dxdiag doesn't seem to think so.
    edited May 2014
    Hey look at that, it works now! :)

Did you try those links i provided?

EDIT:
    Found the issue
    "Comodo AV and firewall are active and running"

KILL COMODO!!!
    And don't just disable it.
    edited May 2014
    Will see when I get in from work! [edit] You are my second set of eyes, thank you Sir! [/edit] :-bd
    Optimized and ready to rock! Cheers for your time and apologies for my lack of common sense in deducting the problem looking straight at me. 2nd set of eyes required after a lot of time spent on the problem myself.
    Hey I'm just glad you got it working!
    :)
  • tohrbogentohrbogen Join Date: 2012-06-22 Member: 153543Members
    Alright :)
    Uninstalling the Comodo Firewall fixed it for me aswell :)