Kodiak profiler screenshots as requested

KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
Found using the profiler a bit awkward in a live server because how spacebar is used for jump in game and to toggle the details. Also I couldn't find a populated server on Kodiak (in Aus) to try, but you can see the difference even on an empty server. Is that good enough?

Clearly it's a graphics card bottle neck, and that's not surprising given my specs. I'm currently working with a single ATi5850 (now some 4 years old). I used to have a pair in crossfire but one died. The CPU on the other hand is an i7-2600 (default clock) which is still pretty good by today's standards. The kicker is screen resolution is 1920x1200. Obviously that's putting an extra burden on the card. Dropping down to 640x480 I can get 170fps.

Anyway, as I said in the other thread, other maps seem fine.

Screenshots 1-3 have me standing still at a scene on an empty server.
Screenshot 4 is me running up the stairs and grabbing a shot as I enter the room. There was a notable performance drop moving in and out of that room (~45fps) but standing still anywhere around there caused the fps to pick up (50+) after a few frames.
Screenshot 5&6 are veil on a populated server in a busy scene for reference.

Ilt2t9t.jpg
w0zZPPA.jpg
AFVYJck.jpg
FZ10DEn.jpg
ZQdHMrV.jpg
KW7k27b.jpg

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Wouldn't be r_stats more usefull ?????
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @GhoulofGSG9‌
    In this case, yes. I asked him for profile shots to see if something specific was causing it, but he did not use the mousewheel down to look at the Rendering thread (the top purple bars are the internal renderer, the info that gets passed to your GPU to get rendered, so this section would never highlight actual rendering related slow downs like shadow maps)

There's no real notable difference between the veil Sub sector profile shot and the kodiak shots, as a result.

I would like to see the rendering section first, but i suppose some r_stats screenshots next would be helpful as well :) (try to time them with the fps drops)

• KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Ok, that's not the info you were after. What exactly do you want and how do I get it?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    When using the profiler, after you press spacebar and select the frame you want with bracket keys ( [ &] )
    Use your mouse wheel to scroll down to find the rendering thread - it should be a long purple bar like the shots you already took.
    Click it to expand /open the tree and then take the pic.

It would also be helpful to see a screen shot of r_stats enabled exactly when you get an fps drop

Thanks and goodluck!
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    @IronHorse I need a way to bind that details screen to some other key than spacebar. I can't unlearn space as jump >_<
    hehe you can just bind jump to any other key ;)
    I bind it to my thumb button when i need to use the profiler.