Important: Imminent Update to Break Certain Mods. Fix Included!

2»

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    No... andi DOES have engine access, how do you suppose he broke it if he doesn't have engine access...

Andi's learnt C++ now? @Sewlek‌ Do you ever stop programming :D
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i learned it long time ago already :P
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    No... andi DOES have engine access, how do you suppose he broke it if he doesn't have engine access...

Andi's learnt C++ now? @Sewlek‌ Do you ever stop programming :D

Andi is a wizard, didn't you know? He knows how to fix everything
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Any idea when 5/1 to expect the update? This can be important for sleeping schedules for those of on the other side of the earth.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Morning, like last update
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Morning, like last update

There's only three hours left in this morning... (pats bat in hand)
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    *gets in line behind ezekel*
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Ok, hope anyone has a idea while I will keep cursing at this and try stuff.

* the file provided by Samus is in the mod & I confirmed its also in the downloaded workshop files.
    * I see a recolour.
    * Yet its off.

See attachment. Left is old, right is new. Note the slight colour difference is due to lightning. The real problems are the weird green lines and the black lines coming through everywhere, seemingly even distorting the weapon.

Ideas welcome.
    edited May 2014
    Your illum map if off, you are using Kodiak illum some how.. I'll look at it
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    In the meantime I did a uggly fix which worked in my test mod.

* I took the new double viewmodel texture and put mine where the 'standard one' usually is.
    * removed the material file fix
    * ran mod > works

I will temp fix it like this until have a more permanent solution, as this is indeed just eating up more memory. ;)
    Yes, that is the more complicated but correct way to do it.
    That complicated method took only like 1 minute more work. 5 if I account to think of it.
    If its regarded 'better' by you and uwe then I wont bother changing to back to material file. :P
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @DC_Darkling‌ The only downside to what you're doing is increasing the size of your mod without really needing to. Both ways are essentially valid, so it just comes down to how much data a given mod has. For example, no way I can ever do this in MvM, it's already 24MB compressed.
    @McGlaspie‌
    You are totally right, I did notice that, hence I was originally aiming for the materials fix. I will consider when the material one is fixed.

My mods tend to be quite large, especially the double rifle one atm. Each file is 16MB, so the double riffle one is 32MB. I guess shiny purple is quite harsh on the filesize.
    Ive tried different .dds formats to reduce size, to no avail. I just managed to grab formats the engine doesnt even support. Im using ARGB8888 now, which manages the mod to run, but the filesizes just aint pretty.

(if anyone has better ideas for gimp and/or paint.net to reduce filesize without nuking quality or engine support, im all ears)
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2014
    @DC_Darkling‌   ( O_O )   Holy... 16MB?! What kind of res are those textures at? 8192x8192 or something?! That's just crazy talk man :P Generally speaking, you only ever want to use DXT5RGBA (with Interpolated Alpha channel) and no other format (Note: there are cases when DXT3 is useful, but not often). You can generate Mipmaps if you want, but this usually isn't needed. Anything else is increasing the filesize for hardly any gain. Not to mention, the larger the texture data becomes, the more Draw-Calls you're forcing Spark to make, due to Video memory swap and fillrate limitations.

The best DDS filetype support I've seen is with Photoshop and Nvida's DDS Plugin. The DDS plugin for Paint.net does a decent job, but can add some unecessary filesize bloat. I don't know how Gimp handles DDS files, but generally speaking I've yet to experience something that Gimp did splendidly (it's too damned clunky).
    edited May 2014
    @McGlaspie
    Well as im way to poor to get photoshop, I have to do it with pain.net or gimp. If they bloat the dds, theres the answer. :)

paint.net and gimp both set the size to 8.193 with the format you just specified.
    normal uwe one is around 5.000ish so I think thats a nice gain. :)

I will do a quick test ingame, just to see if it runs. If it runs you can bet I will upload every dds file I have in mods. ;)

>Edit, worked fine. 5 mods improved and made ns2 all the better. (especially considering the subs on the xhair mod)
    Wanted to fix this for a long long time, but kept forgetting also. Glad I now know. :) <