Server Freezes

turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited April 2014 in Server Discussion
Whenever a person loads into the server, it freezes for a second. I have three ideas as to which plugins it may be...
1. Shine
2. NS2+
3. NS2Stats

my guess as to why this freeze happens is when the player successfully joins the server, the plugins are retrieving stats or general information about the person. now that I think about it, i'm leaning toward NS2Stats because I remember every time a match ends, there's one huge hiccup. I don't know if it happens on official unmodded servers (i'd imagine not), but it sounds to me like it freezes while reporting the match results to the website.

i'm probably entirely wrong about this, but when devolping my own plugins for a different game this is exactly what happened to me when I forgot to handle my database calls on a separate thread. i also don't know which plugin is causing the freezes, which is why i'm making this its own forum thread.

edit: i'm specifically talking about the KKG 250+ server right now, but I think it affects others but I can't remember. this server has a plugin that detects how many hours a person has played to determine whether or not they should be allowed to play, that's another possible reason as to why it freezes, as it's retrieving stats from some third party.

Comments

• Person8880Person8880 Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177167Members, Squad Five Blue
    HTTP requests should be threaded. I'm not sure how they've implemented it in engine, but the Lua side takes a callback function to run on success so I assume they are.

Also, there's the Hive stats system which also runs on connect and round end. If HTTP requests are causing freezes, it could also cause the problem.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Whenever a person loads into the server, it freezes for a second. I have three ideas as to which plugins it may be...
    1. Shine
    2. NS2+
    3. NS2Stats

my guess as to why this freeze happens is when the player successfully joins the server, the plugins are retrieving stats or general information about the person. now that I think about it, i'm leaning toward NS2Stats because I remember every time a match ends, there's one huge hiccup. I don't know if it happens on official unmodded servers (i'd imagine not), but it sounds to me like it freezes while reporting the match results to the website.

i'm probably entirely wrong about this, but when devolping my own plugins for a different game this is exactly what happened to me when I forgot to handle my database calls on a separate thread. i also don't know which plugin is causing the freezes, which is why i'm making this its own forum thread.

edit: i'm specifically talking about the KKG 250+ server right now, but I think it affects others but I can't remember. this server has a plugin that detects how many hours a person has played to determine whether or not they should be allowed to play, that's another possible reason as to why it freezes, as it's retrieving stats from some third party.

I was searching for a reason for those round end freezes but it turned out that this also happens at vanilla. Not sure what exactly causes them ( entity destruction or hive stats ??? ).

And the only time i heard of those freezes if a player connects was connected with hive badges requests and the hive being down.

Never had that issue at my own server which uses mostly the same stuff as kkg, so i was never able to find the source.

If anyone finds any hint what could causes all those issues ( on some servers ) i would be happy if you would share them with me.

Could you watch the servers tickrate if those laggs are happening?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    well it was only 5v5 pregame (so no cysts or structures), so I doubt the tickrate was any lower than it should be.

Yeah I can't even remember the last time I played on a vanilla server, so I was just assuming something like this wouldn't be in the game for as long as it has been.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    This happens to me too sometimes. I thought it was the badge requests that caused it. Wasn't there a thread about that some time ago?