[Tutorial] Extrude + "automatic" selecting faces (by texture switching & texture replacement tool)

JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
edited April 2014 in Mapping
Maybe you noticed this already:

Idea (because video is sometimes not working):
-extrude 1 time
-change the texture (the one in which direction you are extruding)
-extrude 1 more time
-change the texture again (to a completly different one)
-extrude 1 more time
-change the texture (to a completly different one)

NOW
select the "texture replacement" tool >> click on "tweecers" symbol >> select 1 of the different textures >> click "target selected face"

conclusion:
this way you can select all faces for each extrude-step (without manually selecting all by hand).
for complicated arches this can save a lot of time, especially when you use extruding a lot (what you should :P)

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Can't seem to get the video to play. :/ Will try again soon.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited April 2014
    Shit, maybe its my fault... will check it.

EDIT: checked it. It should work, i did not set it as "private" so it should play.

What kind of problem do you get ?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Joseppe wrote: »
    Shit, maybe its my fault... will check it.

EDIT: checked it. It should work, i did not set it as "private" so it should play.

What kind of problem do you get ?

It hangs on that loading symbol for a while, then goes to static with the ever-so-helpful message "An error occurred, please try again later."
    Oh... ok. Thats strange, i can view the video and i am not logged in in the youtube account right now. :/
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Joseppe wrote: »
    Maybe you noticed this already:

Idea (because video is sometimes not working):
    -extrude 1 time
    -change the texture (the one in which direction you are extruding)
    -extrude 1 more time
    -change the texture again (to a completly different one)
    -extrude 1 more time
    -change the texture (to a completly different one)

NOW
    select the "texture replacement" tool >> click on "tweecers" symbol >> select 1 of the different textures >> click "target selected face"

conclusion:
    this way you can select all faces for each extrude-step (without manually selecting all by hand).
    for complicated arches this can save a lot of time, especially when you use extruding a lot (what you should :P)

What I usually do is just select the face and ctrl+x, ctrl+v real quick so that each extrusion step is a separate piece that I can select with a double-click.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    What I usually do is just select the face and ctrl+x, ctrl+v real quick so that each extrusion step is a separate piece that I can select with a double-click.

oh god... so simple, but much easier! i never thaught about that, huge thank you.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Select faces : "group" them.
    Select faces : "group" them.

That works, but I typically avoid making groups and layers if I can. Just gets cluttered up really fast, and it gets to be a bit of a chore coming up with names for all of them (as lazy as that sounds... just try it, you'll see what I mean). The double-click method is much faster and easier in my opinion... just a little bit of a hassle to keep your "chunks" of geometry separated without introducing holes.