Red Plug of Doom - Need Help

13»

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited January 2014
    Well if you were able to connect to the server at first then dc, then it's most likely your router or some internet settings. Also can you do what I suggested about going to speedtest.net and giving us the results for both your location and a US server?
  • ShurakanShurakan Join Date: 2013-06-29 Member: 185776Members
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3223857860

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3223874942

I don't know if I can make my PC a DMZ but I could ask about it and get back to you. I've also tried playing with my anti-virus flat out disabled and nothing changes.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Well the speeds do seem low but I think it should be good enough. Also, your isp has a rating of 2/5 stars so maybe that isp is unreliable?
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you have any buddies in the area with the same ISP, maybe bring a laptop over and check if it works on their net? or ask if you can install it on their pc?

Or wardrive.
    I don't know anybody with my ISP who would also be able to install and play NS2. I don't even have a laptop capable of running the game to take.

Me and my father found these on the event log of our router when I was trying to play while the router's Firewall was disabled (I couldn't).

Error Jan 13 07:37:31 FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 3): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 71.92.54.212 Dst ip: ... Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Host Unreacheable

Error Jan 13 07:37:30 FIREWALL replay check (1 of 3): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 70.45.15.175 Dst ip: ... Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited

I don't know what to make of them nor do I know what they mean.

Alternatively, can someone recommend a VDSL2 modem that can also be a router that can function as a replacement for a TG589vn that is guaranteed to work with NS2?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Try TCP Optimizer, worked wonders for fine tuning my internet connection.

Random fix but give it a try, change Speed & Duplex to full duplex instead of auto negotiation in the network adapters advanced settings, you can do this in device manager.

Also if anyone has troubles with red plug and are connected wirelessly, WLAN Optimizer helped a bunch when combined with TCP Optimizer.

These three fixes might aid you, they might not, worth a shot right and if it doesnt work or screws your connection you can always revert to default values :)
    edited January 2014
    What do I do with TCP Optimizer? Edit: It says it's already at 1gbs Full Duplex, though there is some other Full Duplex option.

Well, I used Optimal setting but nothing has changed. The only server I can still join is Russia #2. I'm still not sure why. I know they have no mods and no consistency checking. Maybe that has something to do with it?
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can you go into the mods setting for me at the main menu and unsuscribe from every single one and see if you can connect any other servers?
    Also check your cables running from your modem to the master socket, I found out that extra long distances and damage cables can seriously lower speed and reliability of internet connections, also if you have antivirus programn with built in firewall, disable the windows firewall
    edited January 2014
    I've tried that a few times hoping against hope and it unfortunately doesn't help. I even did Obby's full nuke to no avail.

Can someone suggest a good VDSL2 Router Modem that you KNOW will work with this game?
    At least I know 32 bit had nothing to do with it. Well, I've had fun. Unfortunately, -1 to future customers.
  • Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    I have Red plug randomly in-game too , sometime is "Yellow Plug" LOL ? :))

This happen maybe server cant handle max capacity of players

Example: Join 24 players server
    When you reach 18,19 players , lagging happens and some time Red plug for all players
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Reading through all these posts, it sounds like it's just your ISP passing the buck. Unfortunately not much to be done if that's the case. :(