Combat Standalone Revealed - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Is this the thing that the "What is releasing in 27 days" thread is about? Or is that still yet to be revealed?

I can assure you that this is not the 27 days thread was about :)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @Jibrail A well sorted, up-to-date FAQ on your website that you can link people to would probably help.

As for the monetary success: I think it depends wholly on the marketing. If you screw up the marketing, it will fail miserably.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RapGod wrote: »
    Er, how is uwe really supporting this? Other than code and a promotion? Seems like it has very little to do with them.
    I would guess they gave them a very good deal when licensing the Spark engine.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    MrFangs wrote: »
    RapGod wrote: »
    Er, how is uwe really supporting this? Other than code and a promotion? Seems like it has very little to do with them.
    I would guess they gave them a very good deal when licensing the Spark engine.

Meh, I took his post as mostly praising uwe for furthering the ns community or some such thing. Maybe I read in to it wrong.

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    @Jibrail A well sorted, up-to-date FAQ on your website that you can link people to would probably help.

As for the monetary success: I think it depends wholly on the marketing. If you screw up the marketing, it will fail miserably.

Yeah we had one up on our website actually but we had to take it down to do a few edits and additions to it.

Yes Marketing and social networking are things that we definitely need to work on, sadly things like that take time away from making the game but its a must do.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Jibrail wrote: »
    Yes Marketing and social networking are things that we definitely need to work on, sadly things like that take time away from making the game but its a must do.

Yes. Sadly UWE is more of a negative example here. But I'm sure you will handle it well.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Just out of interest, have any new models been created for this standalone or does it purely use whatever was available in ns2?
    Scatter wrote: »
    Just out of interest, have any new models been created for this standalone or does it purely use whatever was available in ns2?

Probably the latter; from what I've heard it's nigh impossible to add new models to the game. (It starts with the fact that you need a specific version of 3dsmax that's no longer available if you don't pirate it...)
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members

Probably the latter; from what I've heard it's nigh impossible to add new models to the game. (It starts with the fact that you need a specific version of 3dsmax that's no longer available if you don't pirate it...)

As far as I know, the static meshes can be exported from any version of anything, you just need to export to Collada format and fiddle the file a bit with text editor. There is even a tutorial how to export from Blender. The problem is with animated meshes, for that you need Max 2009.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Getting static props is not a problem at all. As mentioned, it is the Animated meshes need Max09. This means map models and static game models can be added, but custom players etc are a royal pain... It is the one thing that disappoints me about NS2 modding. Implementing custom player characters, but hey ho, it is what it is.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Getting models into Spark is not a problem at all as long as you have the files you need and the correct version of 3DS Max.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    If it is not a problem, can you please explain why after 18+months of NS2, we have not 1 single custom player character? Aside from re-skins of current player models, no-one has been able to create and get a custom player model working. I have had people trying for me since back in the beta. It is one of the reasons McGlaspie had to develop the custom skins mixin, another being Steam Workshop file sizes.

If it was that easy, one of the many modellers from the NS community would have made one. I believe the HA was brought into NS2c, but as far as I am aware, that still has no animations.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Ice was perfectly able to import his fully custom lmg into the game so. Another reason is you have to configure the animations a certain way, using key frames and compiling it in the model_compile. It can be done, they did it, it's just not the easiest thing in the world.
    We are investigating that at the moment, won't say much right now.
    edited April 2014
    @SamusDroid‌
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    If it is not a problem, can you please explain why after 18+months of NS2, we have not 1 single custom player character?

An LMG is not a player character. I know it is not impossible, after all, UWE got models in the game, just it is so difficult, that most modellers I know have either given up on NS2, or have decided to stick to making map/static models.

Sure there have been re-skins of other models, and even Reese's Drifter, which isn't finished yet, but it will be mapped to the bones of the original, so the animations work. There has not been a custom player model with custom animations yet produced for NS2. For such a mod friendly game, does that not strike you as a bit odd? It should do, and it should make you realise that maybe the modelling system for NS2 is what stops truly customised mods from happening.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Ah you guys, you dont understand the world.
    This is genius and it has nothing to do with how well Combat sells.

This is all about Flayra:
    When he is in a bar and he tries to pick up women (1st or 2nd love, depending on his personal life i dont know) imagine these 2 scenario's:

'Hi there. I am flayra, I made a game.'
    The girl thinks: hmm not a totally bad looking guy (depending on her tastes of course) but will a game fund my love-babies? I THINK NOT!
    'A game' is like this, in the brain of woman:
    50250800.jpg
    But imagine now! Now he can say:
    'Hi there, I am flayra, I made the Natural Selection FRANCHISE.'
    The girl thinks: holy **** :
    McDonalds_in_Moncton.jpg

The girl is of course swept of her feet (figurally speaking, and depending on Flayra's tastes maybe also literally).

There you have it: a simple freudian-foucauldian analysis of why Combat is a good idea.
    Proof:
    rQJ2GwM.jpg
    That pic is really multifunctional.

Had a chuckle. LOL, thanks. I awesome you for that.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jibrail wrote: »
    @CCTEE LOL dude nice one! the imagination is strong in this one :D
    I definitely don't think Charlie needs us to boost his rep tbh, its a mutual agreement that I think both UWE and Faultline Games will benefit from.
    UWE is acting as our publisher on this one, it is their first publishing deal as far as I know and we love working with these guys, without UWE and NS2 ( and NS1 ofc because it started all this ) we would have not existed.
    We are the community we all started out as players on here then evolved into modders and now game devs, when we took UWE on their offer we knew what we were walking into and that we could potentially receive these reactions from some people.
    We worked our butts off to make combat mod a success and we did it for over a period of a year and a half completely free and worked on it part time because we had day jobs in order to survive.

The reality of things is that we moved away from modding to create our own games and hopefully be able to make some money off of it because at the end of the day we are people, we need to pay rent, buy food and other essential life expenses and we simply can't do that working on mods especially when our plan is to grow and hopefully one day some of us feel comfortable enough to leave their day job because we can survive on this.
    We originally was gonna work on other projects that are not NS2 related using the Unity 3d engine and when we got this offer from Charlie we thought ok this can be the break we are waiting for, this could jump start us as a team and as a company and give us the opportunity to grow and create beautiful things.
    We do not see this community as milking cows, we could have released our old combat mod with some bug fixes slapped onto it but we are not doing that!
    We are writing most of it from the ground up and adding new things to it and that requires time and money, some of you may not like it but that is the reality of things games cost a lot of money and time to create and people who joined us to help on other things can't survive on just being passionate about the game, you can't buy food or pay rent with passion.

I hope this help you understand our situation a bit better and once we can show the game I think you guys are gonna like what we are doing with it.

On another note I'm wondering if we should do some kind of live Q&A as I see a lot of questions on here, no promises though! we need to talk about it in the group and see if that is something we can do, but keep the questions coming! :D

Nice one @Jibrail. I will buy NS2 Combat! Not a big fan of combat atm, as I love vanilla. But a re-worked balance specific to combat probably would work. And I love all things NS (besides there are no good Alien vs Marine games out there) besides NS. Good luck with development, and keep us posted.
  • Taz-Taz- Australia Join Date: 2003-11-26 Member: 23597Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    I asked this over at AusNS2 but it's probably worth asking here too - how will this tie in to changes in the core game?
    Not really sure how this is going to work for them... Not tying it to the core game has its upsides (not breaking every time the core gvame is patched) but it also means it's going to fall out of sync with balance and features, unless they keep on top of it and mirror them at which point they're back to making changed every time the core game updates.

What if, for example, the current comp balance mod got approved for wider release and metabolise got patched in to the core game for fades. Does the combat mod fade get it too? Or do we now have two different games wth fades but with different movesets?

I may be misunderstanding the relationship between the games here but alot of people keep saying it's completely standalone. Correct me if i'm wrong.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    if hes only getting boobs by creating franchises, then thats a cause im willing to support...
    RadimaX wrote: »
    if hes only getting boobs by creating franchises, then thats a cause im willing to support...
    What a motivating cause :D
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Who do we give money to for boobs? /:)
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I wasn't a big fan of the initial combat mod and probably will not pick this up.
    It seemed to easy compared to the root game and didn't really teach you how to play the root game.
    I would rather see a standalone of just the RTS aspects of the game so a better breed of commanders would be developed.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sure, we used to play combat for free- Laggy, imbalanced combat.

Clearly loads of work was put into making it what it was, and more work required to bring it up to a standard we can consider truly playable.

I'll probably get it- Still maining NS2 of course, but might be fun to visit some combat servers and show the newbies what 'non-combat'-NS players can do with a fade or a shotgun :D
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    I enjoyed ns1 combat a lot more than ns2 combat, even though I do still enjoy it. I hope you guys can work some magic and make it awesome.
    @sweetiebot AWESOME! glad that you like it! I think we have some really cool stuff in the works that you guys gonna like!