Something to counter jetpacks..?

hephophaphephophap asdasd Join Date: 2014-04-08 Member: 195258Members
I'm just wondering, I see jetpacks more and more and most of the games nowadays result in a jetpack rush on some hive and 5 seconds later its gone.
Of course this leaves marines defenseless so you can do something with this as alien, but the main reason this is so effective seems to be that jetpacks are nigh killable in the air.
Yes, lerks and fades can chase them, but they can also expect a shotgun or GL to the face.
Skulks are limited by (if available) leap, some wall jumping and waiting for them to run out of energy, but in a hive like Cargo, you can jump all you want, you ain't gonna get that JP.
It somehow feels wrong that essentially ONE jetpack can fly in and if there is no (good) lerk around, that JP can reduce the hive to 50% by just flying around.

Should JPs be adjusted (something along the line of longer cooldown), or should aliens have a better counter/response to JPs?

Web could work if it didn't cost res and it didn't get removed by every stray nade, but I don't know if that is the best solution.

Comments

• VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    You're absolutely right that a single JP marine in Cargo can be very destructive and distracting. But if they are reaching that hive untouched then you are probably losing to a more organized team. Stopping the marines before they get to the hive is the best way to prevent this. Obvious yes but that is part of the complex strategy NS2 is full of. 1v1 battles aren't always the best defense. A good offense is always the best defense. When a JP marine is flying around plugging your hive, most players initial reaction is to chase them, which is sometimes the right reaction but you may notice after a minute that over half your team is chasing this lone marine. If that same group of aliens ignored the marine and forced a beacon... no more marine in base. There are lots of counters in this game that aren't always as simple as leap and higher lifeforms. Sometimes a single gorge can be the thing that forces marines to abandon their push when he's bile bombing your advanced armory and proto lab. (both required for JPs)

I'm not saying a tweak to JPs is out of the question, but I don't think aliens lack a proper counter to them at this point. Skill will always vary among players which will always cause certain things to seem OP initially, but I promise you there is always something equaling frustrating that players/teams can utilize at all stages of the game. I've witnessed unbelievable comebacks that some players may never experience because they're always giving up at the first sign of defeat but I promise you there is always a counter. It may not always work, but it's ALWAYS worth a shot.

EDIT: too many always there venga
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Moderate to decent Fades should make short work of a JP in a large open space.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited April 2014

Not really. The twitch movements and skill required to chase and kill a jetpack marine is absolutely absurd when you compare the alien vs marine experience, especially when the alien attack is a f'in melee attack making it even harder. The movement system is just so awkward and restrictive in the air (fade, skulk), and it's just way too hard to control while trying to land melee attacks (fade, skulk, lerk). I honestly don't even bother engaging in these scenarios unless I know it's a very weak player.

Now compare that experience with the jetpack. It's super easy to control, very low learning curve, large energy pool, huge freedom of movement in all directions, super cheap, and you have a hitscan weapon.

The skill gaps just don't make any sense, but it's one of those things I've learned to overlook and don't see change coming.
    Vengaboy wrote: »

I'm not saying a tweak to JPs is out of the question, but I don't think aliens lack a proper counter to them at this point.

There are counters for jetpacks, absolutely. The problem is they're near impossible to use effectively by the average player.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Yes jetpack+shootgun is a very deadly combination. Jetpack flying backward in front to enemy is flying faster then leeping skulk (my impression). Every counter from NS1 is inefective in ns2. Webs to late in the game and to easy to spot. It should be only destroyed by welders, and it should immobilize jetpacker completely (no shooting to). Devour was taken out i think it should be back. Jetpackers would have to think to keep their distance not rush like idiots. Devour is pissing ppl off because it takes time to be devoured and time to spawn (and nothing to do when it happens). Easy fix remove devour time or make it work as a trap that do not kill a marine. It keeps him jammed in onos jar (hold atack button) and some one else have to kill him (armor damage only saliva=bile). Before that onos can not atack, if he does (let atack button go) it sets jetpacker free with less armor. Focus (stab) not effective enough to much adrenaline is used for it. My idea make a swipe/bite make jetpack less maneuverable on hit, or drain more fuel?
  • craZyfxcraZyfx Austria Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah it's pretty hard as fade. Actually you got 2-3 chances to hit them in a high room, after that your energy is low and you have to wait again. Maybe it's better on the ensl-mod adjustments, where the blink cost is reduced.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    hephophap wrote: »
    ¯\(°_o)/¯ how do counter jetpack? ¯\(°_o)/¯

get good at lerk/fade
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

@ns2isgood‌

Well, I manage to kill jetpackers easy enough, and I dont consider myself top-tier. I also know lots of other players that manage. If you can't manage, that's a shame.

Frankly I find it harder to get a solid SG shot on a fade who's attacking ME when I'm JPing around cargo :P

I will now go over your other assertions, mainly aimed at implying JP movement is somehow superior to fade blink/SS.
    ns2isgood wrote:
    The movement system is just so awkward and restrictive in the air (fade, skulk) and it's just way too hard to control while trying to land melee attacks.

Now compare that experience with the jetpack. It's super easy to control, very low learning curve, large energy pool, huge freedom of movement in all directions, super cheap, and you have a hitscan weapon.

Fade blink/ skulk leap both allow you to instantly hit top speed in ANY direction by tapping the right mouse button.

Jetpackers on the other hand have to hold space to move up, and take forever to ascend. They also accelerate relatively slowly wasd-wise, making their movements easy to predict.

Yup, jetpacks are easy to learn how to use, much easier than fade shadowstep. However shadowstep is a damn sight more effective in combat with its high acceleration allowing you to dart around like a maniac. I suggest you learn to play, good sir.
  • alf90alf90 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold
    Jets are the only reason i don't go onos that much even if i have more than enough res for it, gotta love being made almost useless as a supposedly top tier lifeform because of a 15 res jetpack.

Sure any decent fade/lerk should have no problem with a jetpacker, but a SG jetpackers are a lot more difficult (especially for lerks) and if that jetpacker is getting med support it turns into a uphill struggle.

From personal experience the thing i find difficult about engaging jetpackers is their sometimes erratic movement, and that they can fly backwards retreating at full speed whilst having near full control of their aim.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jet packs don't need a counter, they are a late game tactic for the marines, if you rush early jetpacks then you compromise armour and weapon upgrades making them easy to kill.

The trick is to have been playing well enough as a team to delay jps for as long as possible by limiting t-res and p-res.

If marines have no viable late game options to finish the game effectively (apart from arcs which are easily countered) then we can all enjoy playing long ass boring public games, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Next discussion...
  • VengaboyVengaboy The Swamp Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    tallhotblonde nails it
    @ns2isgood‌

Well, I manage to kill jetpackers easy enough, and I dont consider myself top-tier. I also know lots of other players that manage. If you can't manage, that's a shame.

Can't say I'm surprised. This forum is filled with people like yourself that try and take the elitist road. Usually people are more upfront and cut to the point and blame player skill in balance topics, but I like your passive approach in trying to veil it.
    Frankly I find it harder to get a solid SG shot on a fade who's attacking ME when I'm JPing around cargo :P

I will now go over your other assertions, mainly aimed at implying JP movement is somehow superior to fade blink/SS.
    ns2isgood wrote:
    The movement system is just so awkward and restrictive in the air (fade, skulk) and it's just way too hard to control while trying to land melee attacks.

Fade blink/ skulk leap both allow you to instantly hit top speed in ANY direction by tapping the right mouse button.

Jetpackers on the other hand have to hold space to move up, and take forever to ascend. They also accelerate relatively slowly wasd-wise, making their movements easy to predict.

Yup, jetpacks are easy to learn how to use, much easier than fade shadowstep. However shadowstep is a damn sight more effective in combat with its high acceleration allowing you to dart around like a maniac. I suggest you learn to play, good sir.

It's not about speed or how much better they are. It's about the required effort and investment. The skill gaps between using and learning the two is ridiculous. Give a rookie a jetpack and shotgun and they learn how to effectively use it in a few rounds, if not a couple minutes while all at the same time having fun with the mechanics.

Give that same rookie a fade or lerk and tell them to fly around and get mid-air kills and see how they do, heck even normal killing is very hard with the lerk. I guarantee the majority become frustrated with the complex mechanics. I know every single friend I've introduced to this game has always complained about the advanced life forms being too hard. And that's after 3 seperate gift copies that are now collecting dust in my friends library. It's just way too complex for the average user.
    edited April 2014
    Jet packs don't need a counter, they are a late game tactic for the marines, if you rush early jetpacks then you compromise armour and weapon upgrades making them easy to kill.

Jetpacks can essentially be rushed and achieved in any stage of the game. Saying they're late game tactic is incredibly wrong. That's like saying Leap and Lerks are late game tactic, lol. I do a nice balance when I command and get them right around when the mid game starts to break out, so the Marines usually have at the very least Armor and Weapons 1 to go with it.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members

Except when they have grenade launchers and they have moderate to decent accuracy. Maybe grenade launcher shots should bounce of most lifeforms (maybe not including onos?) and only explode-on-hit if it's a building?
  • hephophaphephophap asdasd Join Date: 2014-04-08 Member: 195258Members
    tallhotblonde nails it

The trick is to have been playing well enough as a team to delay jps for as long as possible by limiting t-res and p-res.

If marines have no viable late game options to finish the game effectively (apart from arcs which are easily countered) then we can all enjoy playing long ass boring public games, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Next discussion...

It's not much of a discussion if you only listen to yourself.

The point is not how they get there, but when a comm decides to beacon and just rush every hive, even though the aliens KNOW the rush is coming, you can't stop it.

hephophap wrote: »
    tallhotblonde nails it

Next discussion...

It's not much of a discussion if you only listen to yourself.

The point is not how they get there, but when a comm decides to beacon and just rush every hive, even though the aliens KNOW the rush is coming, you can't stop it.

I've seen hive rushes fail before, but it's very rare. Some nicely positioned whips with a crag can really help. Also bone walls, enzymes, etc can really put the fight in your favor if you have a group defending. There are plenty of tools to help fight of hive rushes, but the biggest problem I think is getting your team to rally.

With marines, you can beacon and you have everyone in a group ready to rush regardless of how spread the marine team is or if they're out of position. It's a tactic that I don't think the beacon feature was intended to be used for, but it's very effective and used a lot. If aliens are out of position when the marine rush starts, they're screwed. They will slowly come in to defend 1 by 1 against a wall of 10+ marines and slowly get egg locked or spawned on the other side of the map. The kicker, marine commander beacons everyone out after the hive is killed to save all the RES that would be lost from dropped weapons and jetpacks.

Now comparing that to Alien, they can do the same type of rush and rally, but it's not forced like a beacon, so it's a harder to get a group. Even if you do get a group, Marines can beacon and fight it off with a beacon in most cases unless their commander is slow to beacon or doesn't see the attack. If they see the rush coming, it's an easy advance beacon to wipe the Aliens 99.9% of the time.

Anyways, the best counter for hive rush as an Alien is to usually attack the main marine base. Wipe out all their upgrades, proto, etc. The problem is the Marines will always have the head start and again, rallying Alien team is a PITA the majority of the time.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Jetpacks are fine. Leap needs a little buff IMO, as far as initial acceleration, especially vertically. It used to feel better before some patch, and while it's still good, it's not as good as before. I remember thinking "crap, they now have leap" before... now it's more like "meh, leap, læl."
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think JP's are fine. The problem is the size of many servers.
    And often i see fades and lerks that don't go after a jetpacker in cargo.

Also, cargo is mainly the problem, not JP.
    And i would prefer to keep cargo as it is.

It would be nice if web isn't such a late game thing. And that webs can hang as really long rope's on the ceiling in cargo, making it harder to fly around.
    edited April 2014
    @ns2isgood you talk nonsense mate!

Wow, great counter discussion you have there. And this is coming from the guy that says Jetpacks are a late game tactic, lol.
  • alf90alf90 Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170766Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold
    Clearly the subject of nerfing jetpacks is contentious.

But the more i think about it. I would rather jetpacks were left alone, but they are no longer able to carry GLs.
    Because whilst jetpack shotguns can be difficult to fight against, at least it requires skill on the marines part, whereas jetpack GLs take virtually no skill yet are very effective.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    I find jetpack shotguns to actually require less skill than jetpack GL's...

A lone jetpack shotgun user can kill all but fades/oni with little difficulty, allowing them to survive for much longer and thus deal more damage. Plus the shotgun makes getting to alien hives alive much easier, and with a little comm support they can become incredibly difficult to kill.

On the other hand, a lone jetpack GL user will have a much harder time killing skulks and lerks, as they have to either have really good aim, or rely entirely on luck. As a result they often die much faster. (especially since they also take damage from their own grenades)

As an alien player, I can kill a jetpack GL user with ease, whereas a jetpack shotgun user is a massive PITA to kill.

I personally think they should just change it so jetpacks can't fly backwards at full speed... That alone would make a world of difference.

• Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i also think jps are balanced as they are. the fact that they are easier to use than e.g. fade is no excuse for nerfing them just because they are more approachable.

cargo is a very extreme example of jps having a huge advantage in there, i'd rather blame it on map design than on game balance. that said, the entrances to cargo are rather narrow so you still have a possibility of keeping them from getting in unharmed e.g. using some whips around the corners (not saying this is always a good counter as thats quite some investment, but so are gl/shotguns + jetpacks right?).
    rarely ever using webs i imagine they could also help there if combined with hydras and/or whips (or a very aware team).

in general, IF you have to chase a marine as a team instead of counter-attacking their base (e.g. not enough time before hive goes down), its usually a good idea to fan out instead of everyone running to the marines current position he will not remain at anyway. my approach is always to try and figure out where he will land when his fuel runs out, preferably without being seen myself. that way you can sometimes land bites even without leap.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The only change to JPs I would call for would maybe be a slight reduction in the recharge rate on the fuel. You can be pretty damn inefficient with it and still be a pain to hit. Otherwise they are fine IMO.
    @ns2isgood‌ we must have different perspectives of ns, I tend to play more competitive and nerfing jp's wouldn't even be considered IMO
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree that the problem lies not in jetpacks but in a myriad of other potential problems. Cargo is so large and problematic with jetpacks, but cargo is the outlier room. Server size does play a role because if 12 marines rush a hive with jetpacks it will go down much quicker than 6 marines or even 8 marines. Grenades have their own set of inherent problems too.
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Zinkey wrote: »
    The only change to JPs I would call for would maybe be a slight reduction in the recharge rate on the fuel. You can be pretty damn inefficient with it and still be a pain to hit. Otherwise they are fine IMO.

There already was a nerf to it like 2 patches ago. If a marine is inefficient with fuel then you should easily be able to kill him.

Jetpack rush has a counter, it's called Lerks. If your Lerks aren't able to kill W0/A0 jetpack marines then it's an issue with your team not the game's mechanics.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    deadly combo of speed mobility and range makes for a lot of rage especially in cargo. Also I read the title as some kind of mod... Counter Jetpacks (marines with shotytjetties vs riflefloor marines) :-?
    edited April 2014
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Can't say I'm surprised. This forum is filled with people like yourself that try and take the elitist road. Usually people are more upfront and cut to the point and blame player skill in balance topics, but I like your passive approach in trying to veil it.
    It's not about speed or how much better they are. It's about the required effort and investment. The skill gaps between using and learning the two is ridiculous. Give a rookie a jetpack and shotgun and they learn how to effectively use it in a few rounds, if not a couple minutes while all at the same time having fun with the mechanics.

Give that same rookie a fade or lerk and tell them to fly around and get mid-air kills and see how they do, heck even normal killing is very hard with the lerk. I guarantee the majority become frustrated with the complex mechanics. I know every single friend I've introduced to this game has always complained about the advanced life forms being too hard. And that's after 3 seperate gift copies that are now collecting dust in my friends library. It's just way too complex for the average user.

It feels like we're saying similar things actually, just from different perspectives.

I'm blaming your lack of skill for your assertion that JPs are hard to kill with the faster, more agile flight of lifeforms.

You're essentially blaming the high skill ceiling of aliens - pretty much as blaming the high skill level of players, in my eyes - for newbies not being able to take down jetpackers.

And you know, I would argue that most rookies, even with fps experience, are going to be absolutely no-where near mastering killing aliens with SG within a few hours. It only takes a few hours in combat to get a basic level of proficciency with a pparticular lifeform, in any case. Did your friends ever try combat?

It's just way too complex for the average user