Marine vs Marine [Beta]

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @CarNagE1 Sweet! I've been a little worried about getting servers to run MvM. Damn good news sir. I'm still picking up the pieces from B263, so it will probably be at minimum another week. Hopefully not, but I've already found that I'm going to have to redo some work I thought was done over a month ago. *Le Sigh*
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited February 2014
    I'll definitely be running a server, been waiting for this mod since Gorgeous broke it last year :P

My only concerns is mod file size.

Last one was 90mb+, what is the current size of the mod at the moment?

My issue is that steam workshop is slow in general and unreliable during Steam sale periods and UWE have not given us server admins a backup solution yet otherwise i'd happily host mods on a super fast VPS.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @DarkflameQ Mod file size is the reason why I created the ColoredSkins system/mod. It took a helluva lot of work and tinkering/testing, but in the end I think it was well worth it. It also let me add a little visual fluffery too. This major change alone has reduced the mod download size from 98.6MB to roughly 19.7MB. The final release will likely be slightly larger than that, but the overall reduction should be at least 70% in the end.
    edited February 2014
    Nice, excellent work McGlaspie :)

Does the colored skins mod apply to just the Marine uniforms or can it be applied to marine weapons as well?
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Does the colored skins mod apply to just the Marine uniforms or can it be applied to marine weapons as well?
    It can be applied to any model in the game associated with an Entity (I.e. Structures, Players, Environmental Structures (PowerNodes), etc.) It cannot work on non-entity models. That means any models/props used in a level can't be affected. Models used in Cinematics effects, etc.

If you want to learn more about it, use my signature link, or here
    Cheers, i will take a look :)
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    Hey, I'm glad to learn you are working on this again! Hope it's going smoothly.

Also, I like the alternate theme just a bit more. Mix 1 was interesting too.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    wtb marine vs marine
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Still haven't managed to get it out yet, i think it's now been a whole year?

Oh well despite losing a lot of interest in ns2 it would still be nice to see it finished, im sure you'll get there eventually. :)
    Well considering UWE keep breaking it with updates, not the mod authors fault, UWE need to stop working on their game and let the mods live.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    Yeah, who needs game development?
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    @CarNagE1 Sweet! I've been a little worried about getting servers to run MvM.

I'm interested in running a server with this mod as well. Just so you know. :)
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yay, there's activity in the issue tracker! Progress! :)
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks McGlaspie, putting this on a server here in Aus.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Excellent :) Thanks for all your work!
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    LOOKING FOR SERVERS SO HARD! WHERE ARE DA SERVERS!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    Encounteres an error when joining team 1 or 2.
    Error: lua/mvm/Hud/Marine/GUIMarineHUD.lua:635: attempt to index field 'minimapFrame' (a nil value)
    [Client] Script Error #1: lua/mvm/Hud/Marine/GUIMarineHUD.lua:635: attempt to index field 'minimapFrame' (a nil value)
    Call stack:
    #1: UpdateHudColors lua/mvm/Hud/Marine/GUIMarineHUD.lua:635
    self = GUIMarineHUD { }
    playerTeam = 1
    ui_baseColor = cdata
    #2: Update lua/mvm/Hud/Marine/GUIMarineHUD.lua:698
    self = GUIMarineHUD { }
    deltaTime = 0.0075584091246128
    #3: Update lua/GUIManager.lua:245
    self = GUIManager { }
    (for index) = 28
    (for limit) = 1
    (for step) = -1
    s = 28
    #4: lua/GUIManager.lua:343

Seemingly an issue on my end it seems.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    Known bugs! Found by meeeeeeeeeeee!

Bunny hopping is back into the game.
    MVM is not listed as MVM in server browser.
    Medkits can't be picked up at times. (Seems to be related to if a scan is going off or not.)
    Btw, it is very unlikely MvM will be compatible with any other mods. I had to change a ton of materials, textures, models, shaders, and lua files.

I'll distribute a game_setup.xml in the next patch. Looking like I'll need to add the slow-down on jump back in as well.
    edited April 2014
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Known bugs! Found by meeeeeeeeeeee!

Bunny hopping is back into the game.

How is this a bug? lol

Btw, it is very unlikely MvM will be compatible with any other mods. I had to change a ton of materials, textures, models, shaders, and lua files.

I'll distribute a game_setup.xml in the next patch. Looking like I'll need to add the slow-down on jump back in as well.

Seems to work fine with Shine Admin, Shine NS2 Stats which are the important ones :)
    edited April 2014
    @DarkflameQ‌ I think CyberKun was saying that because marines can hop their way to infinity speeds atm. It's definitely not right and it looks stupid. And that's good news about Shine. I really hope they are compatible.

I'm surprised no one commented on the absurd size of the change log. :)
    edited April 2014
    @DarkflameQ‌ I think CyberKun was saying that because marines can hop their way to infinity speeds atm. It's definitely not right and it looks stupid. And that's good news about Shine. I really hope they are compatible.

Ah :P

Well i have this up and running on my server, looking forward to playing a load of games tomorrow, thanks Glaspie!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Macs are getting stuck here when trying to direct them through from shipping to elevator. All 4 of these macs are stuck...

2014-04-06_00003_zpsc2ee2459.jpg
    @Soul_Rider‌ Thanks. Reproduced, and fixed for the next version
    @Scatter‌ Found your bug. It's the HUD detail setting that cuases it. Changing to Low or starting the mod with Low setting will trigger that. Fixed for the next update.
    edited April 2014
    Just played a game, issues i noticed:

1) Players can attack and destroy their own power nodes?
    2) Power nodes don't show for commanders and macs will not automatically detect and build them
    3) When macs die, they change back to their original yellow colour.
    edited April 2014
    @DarkflameQ‌ Check out the change log, all of those things you mentioned are either intentional or a known bug :)
    Power Nodes are neutral, so in affect anyone can damage them. Until a much more robust system is in place, this placeholder mechanic will stay. Along these lines, this is why I changed grenades so they cannot detonate on impact to power nodes. The reason Commanders cannot see them is they must be scouted (visually see by friendly unit or scan) before they show up on the minimap and visible to Comms. This is to eliminate commanders from being able to tell where the enemy team is expanding. And, like Power Node neutrality, a place holder mechanic until something more robust can be implemented.