Rookie Stomps

TovaTova Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176254Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Alright kids we need to talk.
If you are going 30+ K/D you need to STOP PLAYING ON ROOKIE SERVERS. You are ruining the experience for the new players. I've been joining rookie servers and playing support roles or comming to teach the new people, I've kept myself pretty well restrained keeping in mind the newbie Humble Bundle folks.

There are plenty of pro servers if you are unwilling/unable to refrain from noob stomping or teaching. I'm sick and tired of seeing every game ruined, and hearing newbies complaining about how "shit this game is" because all the rookies get put on the same team and people are unwilling to shuffle, and I'm tired of seeing the same assholes going 45:1 in a green server. If you want to grow the community you have to keep these things in mind.

We've had this topic a billion times, and a heated exchange in the vet forum, this shit needs to stop.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Rookie friendly or "Rookie Only" ??
    Because the rookie only ones are typically well admin'd and don't put up with this
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Because the rookie only ones are typically well admin'd and don't put up with this

This. Just because a server is rookie-friendly doesn't mean it's rookie-only. If it's stated in the titles of the servers, most veterans avoid them.

A lot of times the only servers available to the general public are rookie-friendly servers.
  • TovaTova Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176254Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014

I fail to see how either classification determines when it's appropriate to stomp rookies. I don't mean "you happen to be a bit better" these are people I've seen playing in pro servers and pugs who are very intentionally playing at a competitive level significantly above the rookies. And when I say "rookies" I don't mean like 2 or 3 rookies per team, I'm talking 18+ player servers with greater than half rookie population. Every time there is a sale, update, or humble bundle it turns into open season, coupled with a high skill barier of entry it's not hard to see why the retention rate is so low. These are servers with "*Rookie" in the name, not some shady alley that some poor rookie happened to get lost down in the middle of night.

"Rookie-friendly" does not mean "rookie-tolerant," there's a lot more implied by the former.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2014
    Most servers just use the tag of rookie friendly so that they get more people. Meaning, goodluck finding a server that isn't labeled "Rookie friendly". It means nothing.
    It's dumb, and i agree that the only thing from the beginning should have ever been "Rookie Only" and then tiered servers based on hours played...

But that's not how it is.. so if the server owners do not want it occurring, they will ensure it does not.
    Rookies should join well admin'd servers, good community servers, and/or Rookie Only servers.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    tova, you could teach rookies how to kickvote if a particular player annoys them too much. even if the vote fails, a significant amount of "yes" might get that person thinking at least.
  • NeoQuaker1NeoQuaker1 New York Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183182Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Personally, playing in a fairly even game is so much more enjoyable than getting a crazy 40-1 ratio.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members

Isnt going 30-0 on a rookie friendly server, not friendly?

-I still dont get the distinction-

on one hand you have rookie only where obviously if you have 500+ hours you shouldnt be playing
    on the other hand you have rookie friendly where if you have 500+ hours you should be "friendly" IE not stomping... IE comming, or pistol only?

--Put yourself in the shoes of a humble-bundle player. --

ooo, new game i got for 32cents lets see how it plays!!
    hmmm... lets just join, oo this one is rookie friendly that should help. ....
    do-dee-da-dee WTF this takes a while to load... oh ok here we go...
    aliens that sounds fun... oh wow i can run on the ceiling cool... wait im dead?
    ok lets try again... oh there is a rine... wait im dead again??
    hmmm... maybe ill be sneeky... oh i got him now chomp... dead AGAIN???
    Well good thing I got 13 other games that dont suck off Ill go try one of them...

And people wonder why the game is dieing... oh thats right cause people are D!cks and think, rookie friendly... ah ha! it doesnt say i cant stomp!

in conclusion If your going to play on a rookie friendly server... be FRIENDLY!! love all the dou(he bag players who yell and b!tch about not getting meds, or sh!t players not working togethe... then low and behold its a Rookie friend server... IF you have >500 hours just leave the green alone you wont enjoy the shit easy game, they wont enjoy getting stomped save everyone some trouble... Or we can just blame the lack of a match making system instead of all you a$$ hats --RANT

• MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    You're expecting too much from these 10yr olds. Remember, "K/D" idoesn't have anything to do with "IQ".
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Here we go again.

Well, it's known, and it's hard to do anything about it, as we can't address those players specifically.
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    You act like there is a choice, at sales there is only green everywhere, in server list and on servers regardless of the colour on the server name. The servers where you can avoid massive counts of greens can be counted on 1 hand and has massive queues. Free time is limited and is not to be wasted in digital queues, there is alrdy enough waiting in daily life as it is.

You talk about player retention, the kind that buys games on sales weekly. There has been enough sales to prove that the community will not grow any further so such arguement doesnt hold.

Why do you still think rookie friendly has any sorta meaning?
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited April 2014
    SanCo wrote: »
    there is alrdy enough waiting in daily life as it is.

Holy Sh!t Balls!!! your what gives Millennials a a sh!t name! you have the fing time to sit around and play video games and your pissed the the Hot-pocket takes 2 damn minutes to cook.

SanCo wrote: »
    Why do you still think rookie friendly has any sorta meaning?

Forgot, words dont mean sh!t if they can be ignored...

Draptor wrote: »
    So my choices are...
    A) Don't Play.
    B) Play but purposely hamstring myself with pistol only or something similarly silly if I'm doing too well (Not hard to do during a sale. I'm not even that good, they're just worse than I am.)
    C) Say fuck it and play. I'll answer any questions rookies ask, give guidance if they're amenable to it and teach what I can. But I'm still going to shoot as straight as I can, and make the calls I would normally make. I'm going to play the game I love and paid for on the servers available to me.

I understand your reasoning... I love this game too, and it wont matter in 6 months it will be deader then NS1. Personally I choose either
    A. (and try again latter)
    or
    D. Play Combat or Wooza sh!t show (skill doesnt matter)

And then I hope that some of the players I could have stomped keep playing and that in 6 months the game wont be dead (silly hope)
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    SanCo isn't totally off the mark. Free time is finite to most folks. Because of that, trying again later isn't a preferred option. After a long day at work, or class, or the kids finally went to sleep, you want to play a game you enjoy. You may only have an hour until you have to run off and be a grumpy adult again, and you don't know when you're going to have that next free hour to escape into another world. So you get it while you can and you make the most of it.

I hate combat mode, I like NS2's default game mode- that's why I play it instead of any number of other TDM games. And I've never heard of wooza, I'm just going to assume it's one of the servers I never see due to ping or being full.

If NS2 dies, it's because an insufficient number of gamers in the current market enjoy the gameplay it offers. Maybe it's too complicated, too fast paced, too asymmetrical or whatever. Maybe they really wanted a little reward each time they play- a pointless RANK UP or HOORAY UNLOCKS. Maybe they get bad performance, who knows. There are hundreds of games out there that people keep playing for years. NS2 isn't the only game where some players are better than others, and they play in the same pool as all the other kids just like in NS2. The difference is that there is something about those games that keeps them playing. Some how those games meet the demands and expectations of more gamers than thousands of other games do. It's not that NS2 is bad, it's that it's not what many people want right now. Either ahead of or behind the times. So I heartily disagree that people losing to other people in a skill based PVP game is what will cause it's demise.
  • skulkgatoskulkgato Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183645Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I admin and stomp a rookie friendly server. I also switch teams when I think the team has reached a sufficient advantage because of my broad shoulders. Wax on Wax off. F4 that dead lerk! Or pretend I'm going Onos only to get a jp/shotgun. Railguns are tempting like bacon to a dog.
    There are lots of ways to make fun for self? I hear some people are having fun with 100% stack, no advanced armory to research exo mods.

I know almost everyone will disagree with me on this so don't bother, but I don't like NS2 being sold on humble bundle. I think game shouldn't be discounted so low, I pretend it costs $100.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Saturday evening and all the "no rookies", "high skill only", "200hrs+" servers are empty in the EU.

Looks like this community want to be as small as possible cause all the experienced players stomping the humble wave on "rookie friendly" servers.

Well, its ok you do that.
    But
    Stop whining about a dead game then.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @dePARA
    cant speak for everyone but due to all the insane bugs lately im playing on ns2+ servers only. Thats what.. 5 servers around eu, and most are rookie friendly tagged.

Trust me, if I can play on a nonrookie server which actually has no rookies I would.
    Seeing fail matches time and time again gets old real fast.

The real problem with the latest rookie waves is that almost noone of them listen
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    tl;dr every server is flooded with rookies during discount weekends.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Tova wrote: »
    We've had this topic a billion times, and a heated exchange in the vet forum, this shit needs to stop.

No.

Troll.png
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    Tova wrote: »

No.

Troll.png

This is not an imageboard. -randommod
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I can't be bothered to play much NS2, because all anyone does is bitch and moan during the course of games.

The single biggest thing that annoys me is the players who HAVE to be on marines every round. You shuffle the teams, all is good, then check the scoreboard 30secs in and half the alien team is back in the ready room trying to get onto marines.

As regards rookie stomping, who cares. I want people to stop vet stomping! Can we put an end to that please?

I am tired of getting my ass handed to me on a plate every time I play NS2. I am sick of people saying that because I have over X number of hours in the game, I have to play with non-rookie players and sit there watching my k/d stack up to 3:174.

Why do people think tiered servers based on number of hours is in anyway indicative of skill level? I get stuffed by rookies regularly, and I have 1600 hours in the game.

The NS2 community is way too small to segregate, so I have to put up with being bottom of every server I play on, and have done for all my 1600 hours of play.

Why should some rookie who has put 20mins in the game get a special protection that is not afforded to me, a black armour supporter of NS2?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i was 75/3 earlier as a fade and my team still lost :(
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited April 2014
    stop stacking the forums with crap.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Rookie friendly doesn't mean you have to purposefully handicap yourself or you're not allowed to play. It means, quite literally, being friendly. That means being patient with new players (the type of patience that you might not see in white servers). Being helpful when they ask questions. That kind of thing.

Suggesting pistol only is just silly...

Skill stacks are unfriendly. But one player with a really good score isn't necessarily. They may have equivalent skilled players on other teams, or perhaps not but the player has no choice as there's nobody on the server to balance him out on the other team, and the comm is taken, or too many gorges already so can't play a support role. However, in sales weeks it is extremely rare that the skilled players actually create the stack. More often than not you see every single green player on the server flock to marines, making it impossible to balance it out, unless some ridiculously good player manages to snag a slot with them too. Attempts to vote for even teams usually don't work as the green players don't see the problem, or simply want to play marines cause it's the side they're most comfortable with (not realising the effect the incredible skill disparity will create), and don't vote.

Nobody wants to drive new players away - it's not good for the game. Nobody wants to be on either side of a stack/stomp - it's no fun for either side. Nobody finds satisfaction in killing countless ground skulks - but it's unavoidable during a sale, apart from purposefully missing people, which is ridiculous. Nobody wants to play in rookie friendly servers if there are other servers available - but sometimes there is no choice. Rookies getting stomped when they first play is unfortunate, but it's systemic of the game itself, not the community.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    When I wanna play public I always pick the server with the highest average skill that is populated.
    Most of the times I don't even pay attention if it's a rookie friendly server or not.
    Ofc there will always be that one guy who tells you to not join a rookie friendly server once I start getting above average KD.
    But what am I supposed to do? Join white servers with low average skill that are for some reason populated with rookies?
    Speaking of this, I am actually sick and tired of rookies and players slightly above rookie skill level joining white servers and destroying
    games by not knowing the basics of the game...
  • orbitalshapeorbitalshape gameland Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193754Members

U , u , u are gamebreaker mather how outcome is , the report sistem in smite is good to use for this, of w8 this game is dead allready , and u , and ...... like kill it , in all sales, shame on u!
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

U , u , u are gamebreaker mather how outcome is , the report sistem in smite is good to use for this, of w8 this game is dead allready , and u , and ...... like kill it , in all sales, shame on u!
    Dafuq did you just say?
  • MelancorMelancor Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24415Members
    edited April 2014
    You're a gamebreaker, no matter the outcome. The report system in smite is good for this kind of thing. Just wait and see, you're killing this game.... whats so hard to understand there?
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Based on my experience with Orbital's posts, I'm pretty sure Google translate is butchering his input language.

I mostly just default to saying "wat?"
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    edited April 2014
    Melancor wrote: »
    You're a gamebreaker, no matter the outcome. The report system in smite is good for this kind of thing. Just wait and see, you're killing this game.... whats so hard to understand there?

I think he's saying "You're a gamebreaker, no matter the outcome. The report system in smite is good for this kind of thing. Oh wait, this game is already dead and you like to kill it in all sales."