NS2 on Humble Bundle Weekly Sale

It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited April 2014 in NS2 General Discussion

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good. Im glad. On a cynical note, I wonder when these sales will stop bringing in massive amounts of people. Surely it has to wither down a bit.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's a sale while a map in the official rotation is unplayably broken. Wonderful timing

Can we please get the update? Seriously. Times like these are good times to launch... a broken map is just...
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    100 out of 118 steam friends already own NS2.
    Hm... challenge accepted.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really need those UWE servers with rookie only flags....
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think Humble just decides what games go on sale, I have doubts that UWE is coordinating any kind of patch launch in time for the sale as one would think they're more focused on PAX.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Agreed. If you read the Humble description, its Destroid that picked the games. And UWE is unlikely to say no to a bit more revenue and a chance to advertise for free.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    Herrrrrrre we go again.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I like sale time, actual new people playing NS2 is a good thing, for me.

• It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    So how does that work? is Destructoid getting something out of this? or are they subsidizing costs on behalf of the games?
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @It's Super Effective!, doesn't look like they get a cut. I don't see their name on the split at all, so may be they just picked 6 indie titles they liked.

I certainly hope the green tide comes, I ll be able to get some kills then. The Aus server (there are only 2 active for pubs), and all the AUSNS2 guys play on it, its a full board of badgers (my term). Some fresh greens would be nice.l
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I certainly hope the green tide comes, I ll be able to get some kills then. The Aus server (there are only 2 active for pubs), and all the AUSNS2 guys play on it, its a full board of badgers (my term). Some fresh greens would be nice.l

@Cannon_FodderAUS‌
    I'm organising more servers as well for the sale. Hopefully I can coordinate a rookie only server and an experienced only server by tonight as well, but we'll see.

• nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited April 2014
    Another bad sale timing. does UWE have control of this? or is it random?

If UWE have control of this. You disgust me.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited April 2014
    I think the mineshaft issue is being blown out of proportion. If its broken, remove it from rotation. Problem solved.

UWE didn't release a game breaking novelty patch to coincide with the sale, which happened all too often in the past so
    as long as rookies don't flood the regular servers and stick to rookie friendly ones, where they can enjoy the game at their own pace, this sale might bring in players that actually stick around.

Time will tell, but the game is getting older and as such these sales will be less and less effective.
    At the moment, the only thing that could really boost NS2 sales is a killer mod. Who knows, as the game is more and more stable and mod breaking patches are less common it may actually happen.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    nezz wrote: »
    Another bad sale timing. does UWE have control of this? or is it random?

If UWE have control of this. You disgust me.

Rofl

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    At the moment, the only thing that could really boost NS2 sales is a killer mod.

Somebody has to implement Exofall mode, that is a Titanfall clone. Seriously, NS2 already has all the basic features needed to copy Titanfall. Jumpjets - Jetpack with more momentum and less fuel. Wallruning - well it's clearly there, just limit time and only when speed is more than x. Titans - it's obvious, exos just bigger. Bots - there. Few variable tweaks here and there and we get fully playable crazy action packed game mode.

Wish I had time and/or skills for modding.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I considered making Titanfall in NS2, but I am not sure it is worth it. NS2 has a small playerbase, and although a new mod could come in and massively raise sales, it would probably not increase the number of people playing NS2.

Then, like back in the good old days, you'd have loads of people screaming, your mod killed NS2, like they did with the stupid combat/NS1 argument.

A successful mod will bring new players to play the mod, but would probably do nothing to improve the number of people actually playing the vanilla game. I am not sure making a successful mod would be a good thing to do with this community around....
    edited April 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    I considered making Titanfall in NS2, but I am not sure it is worth it. NS2 has a small playerbase, and although a new mod could come in and massively raise sales, it would probably not increase the number of people playing NS2.

This is so true. More than that, even if the mod is great, chance are it will be forgotten pretty soon.
    Factions in incredibly fun mod, yet it's peak was eight players on one server.
    Last stand looked like it could be really fun to play, yet I was afk for week when it was released - and I had no chance to paly it with even one other player (not even to mention other mods from Mod Jam).
    NS2c, well, it was more successful, i even had a chance to play it on 32p server, but still, people are not playing it.

Even xenoswarm that is basically NS2 coop game died pretty soon. And it was really fun as well.

• MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm having pretty high hopes for MvM. Not only because it sounds fun, but also because it might be a game mode that's simpler to learn for new players than vanilla NS2.

Looks like the release is drawing nearer, fingers crossed :)
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Eeh I thought MvM was a really old mod. Remember it from many month ago
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SanCo wrote: »

That's because it's finished soon(TM).
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is. From what I gather, it was broken beyond repair after some big NS2 update. And then @McGlaspie decided to pretty much rebuild it from scratch.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    MrFangs wrote: »
    It is. From what I gather, it was broken beyond repair after some big NS2 update. And then @McGlaspie decided to pretty much rebuild it from scratch.
    That's exactly what I did, and after a long painful road, it's now available on dah shop.

MvM - "Therapy for players who hate their Marine teammates" :p

You can quote me on that too, god damn it's fun blasting a marine in the chest with buckshot.
  • _mod_mod New Zealand Join Date: 2013-11-01 Member: 188922Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Agreed it's always nice to see some new faces about even if it does lead to slightly more stack. My Play is pretty temperamental but I have a lot of fun walking people through alien basics.

I'd like to see AvA sometime, anyone know if it's in the works?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    MvM - "Therapy for players who hate their Marine teammates because they play in pubs."