LOUD Skulks!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2014
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    a Rumble of Oni What's that noise? OR: Oh fuck

I'm of the school that multiple Onii-chan have always been called...

OH NOES F4!!!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    In my experience the issue is just the falloff, not necessarily the volume.
    Meaning i don't mind the volume of the skulk feet as a marine if they are right behind me about to bite my ankles..
    But hearing that same level of volume 3 rooms away is not only jarring, its disorienting and annoying.

I worry just adjusting the volume would have a reverse result, where the far away skulk sounds appropriate, barely audible, but the skulk right behind you ALSO sounds like he in fact is not.
  • G_LockG_Lock Playtester_ FL Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184624Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Well guess you better make the marine footsteps 10X louder too so i can hear them over my own grunts.

^ joke
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    weren't skulks already louder than marines even before this tweak?
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Benson wrote: »
    Havn't gotten a chance to play 263 yet, but I already mourn the theft of my skulk booties

Also, relevant image
    XXUR8qm.jpg

GENIUS NEW MOD FROM THE CREATOR OF THE KITTEN MITTEN!
    ...i wish
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @currently
    Fair enough, but i wasn't talking about first person sounds as a skulk ;)

Also, I don't have an issue with the "on my ankles behind me" volume as a marine, given the importance and timing of such a scenario i don't think anything else needs to be more audible at that exact moment. Everything else though i agree with obviously.
  • MoFoMoFo Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188047Members
    Skulks are SO loud this build that I actually have to turn my volume down when playing Aliens... :|

It definitely feels like something is wrong, especially since Skulks seem to be louder than Oni now, which is just plain ****ed up.

I don't even understand why they would change it. The volume level for Skulk was perfectly fine, all they needed to do was fix whatever bug allowed people to silently walljump around the map.

I hope they fix it quickly.

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    I played about 2 minutes when this patch came out, and I'm probably not going to bother again until the sounds get fixed. It just feels like the game got brain damage.
    Hopefully NS2WC will give me the desire to come back and pwn, 'cuz all the other games I've been playing to pass the time are way too easy compared to NS2, which is annoying because the production quality is generally 5x better. :(

I feel like NS2 has done for me with computer games what neo-classical jazz did to me for music- ruined it all with its technical superiority! :((
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    -snip-

I see what you did there.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    -snip-

Technically, I hear what he did there :P

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    -snip-

Technically, I hear what he did there :P

Actually, I mostly meant the celery :P
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Has there been any dev word yet on the loud Skulks?
  • orbitalshapeorbitalshape gameland Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193754Members
    They are OK, now we have point to shift hive first, or second for that mater.
    They are 3 times as loud as an Onos. :(
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shade hive buffed, making silence more prevalent, making loud skulks less of an issue.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Definitely not the right approach to fixing the broken sound level...
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Yup it's sitting duck contest as you can't use walljump sequences to get speed and finally get in desired position to finally ambush. They (the OK marine) hear you from far away.

The more this kind of things happens the more it lower the chance for "Shade first" tactics. Unless you wanna pick on the rookies marines. Everything always get back to brute force strategy.

• orbitalshapeorbitalshape gameland Join Date: 2014-02-03 Member: 193754Members
    Everything always get back to brute force strategy.

Brute force is not strategy man
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    LOL at 3 sticks of cele!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Definitely not the right approach to fixing the broken sound level...

I do agree. Less of an issue but no where near fixed
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Well hey, Mendasp has been kind enough to reduce Skulk jumping sounds by 50% with his Custom HUD mod :) And if you have CHUD installed, you can see on the server browser which servers are running it (because unfortunately, the server has to be running CHUD in order for it to be activated). My server, as well as several others are running the mod, so for the time being I'd say stick with the servers running CHUD if you want your ear drums to not explode when a pack of Skulks is coming towards you :D

EDIT: I'm not trying to promote my server btw
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    The only problem I have with skulks volume is that their biting is too loud. When I try to munch on power node I cannot hear marines coming before it's too late.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    coolitic wrote: »
    The only problem I have with skulks volume is that their biting is too loud. When I try to munch on power node I cannot hear marines coming before it's too late.
    This has always been the case, and one of the 1st things to remember as a skulk, is to take a brief pause after 10 bites or so, and listen.
    Then continue for a bit, and listen again, etc.

• AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    How about the fact that you can hear objects through a 5m thick steel wall? The sound in this game knows no boundaries (pun intended).
    Amb wrote: »
    How about the fact that you can hear objects through a 5m thick steel wall? The sound in this game knows no boundaries (pun intended).
    Actually i find the audio occlusion in NS2 very good.

The loud skulks.. argh. I'm going to stalk the audio guy about it because this thread is going nowhere thanks to those offtopic "funny" people.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    It's fixed in the next build.
    Mendasp wrote: »
    It's fixed in the next build.
    YAY!
    Thanks for sharing that bit of info :)
    zeep wrote: »
    Amb wrote: »
    Actually i find the audio occlusion in NS2 very good.

The loud skulks.. argh. I'm going to stalk the audio guy about it because this thread is going nowhere thanks to those offtopic "funny" people.

I disagree. It has always bothered me that I can hear gunshots seemingly next to me which turn out to be behind a, well, 5 metres thick wall.