NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    Regarding confusion: Why not multiple feature-scoped mods with offerings more aligned with what their titles imply?

I'm guessing it's due to Steam Workshop fragility? But maybe I'm wrong...

Imho there are four factors:

Mod Maintance: Having multiple mods you have to maintain is quiet tricky. Also you often have to copy main function (kinda your personal lib) between those mods if you want to make sure they run alone.

Steam Workshop Timeouts: More mods = higher risk that one mod times out. Critical if one mods depends on another.

Mod Popularity: This is one of the main issue, it's quiet hard to make a new mod popular so you save yourself time by promoting just one main mod.

Mod dl and Mod List mess: Alot users avoid servers with a long list of mods so they don't have to download stuff they "only need once". Also alot ppl hate if server mess up with their client modlist ( i'm talking about you, samusdroid :D ).

Also some ppl think server with more than 1-5 mods = bad

And ofc those lazy Server Ops who are afraid to edit their mapcycle :P
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That all makes sense. I'd love to see a single mod that's going to address so many responsibilities carry a name that reflects same.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited March 2014
    I would like to change the name of the mod to reflect the bigger scope it has now. So I'm open to suggestions.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Everyone's Favorite Mod
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Custom NS2

or Custom HUD Game fixing Life improving NS2 saving Map fixing FPS gaining Particle hiding Colour changing Sound removing Mod or CHGFLINSMFFPHCCSRM for short
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    MIM
    Mendasps improvements mod.

Thanks me later.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited March 2014
    viemodel is needed. The gun takes up 1/3 of your screen. I don't understand people that are saying no to it. :(:(
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    @Mendasp‌ - Does this also fix the massively messed up rock prop geometry in Crevice? When making my GorgeCraft map, the collision boxes on the scaled up rock faces are miles off, would the magic you have done also work on those larger upscaled pieces?

Is this just hit boxes or does it affect collision as well?

If so, can we get it in the game, if not, can I get it for GorgeCraft? The building illusion is really broken on the rocks because of their poor collision geometry :D
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited March 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @Mendasp‌ - Does this also fix the massively messed up rock prop geometry in Crevice? When making my GorgeCraft map, the collision boxes on the scaled up rock faces are miles off, would the magic you have done also work on those larger upscaled pieces?

Is this just hit boxes or does it affect collision as well?

If so, can we get it in the game, if not, can I get it for GorgeCraft? The building illusion is really broken on the rocks because of their poor collision geometry :D
    I can make it both, but chose to do only hitboxes as not to create new stuck issues and just fix the annoying bullet-blocking invisible walls. This remains compatible with all maps and fixes the issue.

I didn't fix all rock props, just 3 of them (in snow and normal variants, so 6), I can compile them for you with the accurate movement too. But I suppose it won't fully fix your problem since the map uses more rock props than that and I only fixed the super annoying ones that messed up shooting.

Edit: Here you go.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Not sure if Zefram would allow the removal of gun viewmodels in the league... but I guess for pub it doesn't matter.
    I, for one, am against the idea.

Also, those rock fixes are amazing.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014

I've got to build new maps anyway, so starting with these props will be great :D
    edited March 2014
    Published an update (also for the standalone CHUD Server Browser):

- CHUD Server Browser now marks the playercount in red if the server requires a map change to join (only for CHUD servers).
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Published an update (also for the standalone CHUD Server Browser):

- CHUD Server Browser now marks the playercount in red if the server requires a map change to join (only for CHUD servers).

since you can already detect version mismatch, you should try to change the error message that pops up informing the person of this. while people who read this thread will know, the other hundred people will not know why they can't join the server.
    Can't modify any join errors, they're not done in lua.
  • amsams Join Date: 2014-03-27 Member: 194987Members
    purely out of curiosity... why are people against removing gun models? Ive seen two people say that they dont like the idea but no reason as to why. Is there a thread in which this was already discussed that I can be directed to?
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited March 2014
    What about producing your own error message upon the person attempting to join a server that is a version mismatch? edit; similar to the current "This server has reserved slots, attempt to join anyway?" thing that pops up with yellow servers.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    ams wrote: »
    purely out of curiosity... why are people against removing gun models? Ive seen two people say that they dont like the idea but no reason as to why. Is there a thread in which this was already discussed that I can be directed to?

It goes further than simple customization, which is what CHUD is supposed to be about, and more into the category of gameplay enhancement- would pink skulks or whitewalls be acceptable as well? You have to draw the line somewhere. Gun models are pivitol for shooters, it would be quite strange if a league allowed you to remove them.... at least I've never heard of a competitive game where this was allowed.

• GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    Guys, the bullets come out of your gun, not your face.
    edited March 2014
    @Gibs‌ - Uhmmm, technically, the bullets come out of your eyes in NS2. They do that so the line of the bullet is accurate from your view point.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @Mendasp‌ How did you fix the collision on the rock models? Did you somehow de-compile the .model format, or did UWE give you the source files?
    edited March 2014
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    @Mendasp‌ How did you fix the collision on the rock models? Did you somehow de-compile the .model format, or did UWE give you the source files?
    Yeah, UWE gave me the source files for the rock props, although I only got the source for the snow variants, I did have to figure out the origin offsets between the normal and snow versions of the models I edited, a bit of a pain (on top of having to learn the whole process without any documentation or modelling experience) :D

I had already tried once a few weeks back and gave up (no compile files, no physics files, no textures), to be honest I don't remember why I thought to give it another go, but I'm glad I did and was more stubborn this time.
    edited March 2014
    How the hell does one come up with a name for a mod focused on customization and QoL improvements? Do I just call it that?

NS2: Director's cut
    NS2: Community Edition
    Mendasp's mousepad signing station
    Mod of the year
    All-in-one (incl. crack)

Ugh. Halp.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Sadly Better NS2 is allready taken.

So how about NS2Plus (NS2+). Its short and easy to remember and kinda says what CHUD became. A improved version of ns2 :D
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited March 2014
    rantology wrote: »

It goes further than simple customization, which is what CHUD is supposed to be about, and more into the category of gameplay enhancement- would pink skulks or whitewalls be acceptable as well? You have to draw the line somewhere. Gun models are pivitol for shooters, it would be quite strange if a league allowed you to remove them.... at least I've never heard of a competitive game where this was allowed.

quake live!?!?!?!? There's a difference between pink skulks & a transparent gun model I think.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    unlike 'better ns2' this is more of a competitive wishlist. SO work that in the name somehow?
    edited March 2014
    I think it's pretty obvious the appeal is beyond just that of competitive players, I had also considered NS2Plus, so I might actually change it to that. Among those options I had considered the cheesy sounding Ultra NS2 or Über NS2... ÜberMod? :D
    I like NS2+ (or NS2Plus, which I like less).

Alternative: NS2.1
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    rantology wrote: »

UT, Quake, CS(?). Like... the references of FPS competitive games.
    Actually hiding viewmodels was a basic thing especially in the competitive scene, and a game without that option was not really taken seriously. Today we have tracers everywhere, bad mouse acceleration by default, and usually can't even change the FoV or some mouse settings.
    I understand that some games can allow fluo skins and others can't, but viewmodels are quite far from that thing.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Mendasp wrote: »
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Yeah, UWE gave me the source files for the rock props, although I only got the source for the snow variants, I did have to figure out the origin offsets between the normal and snow versions of the models I edited, a bit of a pain (on top of having to learn the whole process without any documentation or modelling experience) :D

I had already tried once a few weeks back and gave up (no compile files, no physics files, no textures), to be honest I don't remember why I thought to give it another go, but I'm glad I did and was more stubborn this time.

Oh cool!

I noticed today, while playing on a CHUD server, that skulks still collide really poorly with the rocks, like hovering 2 feet out from the rocks. Is that in the map itself, or is there some problem with the rock props?
    I chose to use the old collisions as to not cause stuck issues in this or other maps.